7/26 Chloe AMPG 213 Day 3 +5 93 + 8 78 PMBG 144 + 3 136

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jul 26, 2019.

1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo

Good morning.
    I was at least happy last night to see she brought herself down a few hours after eating but this morning number is not pretty. Even though she walked all the way upstairs to my bedroom which is always a nice treat to see her make the effort.

It is the 7th cycle without insulin so we might need to rethink the strategy on withholding insulin. On top of that she is being very very fussy with food and I have 7 cans open and plates everywhere.
    The only thing she would even consider eating is the FF fish, not the best for her. Plus she had soft poo at her bum which worries me that the foods are not agreeing with her IBD.

I know suggestions have been chicken, and baby food but I really can't give her chicken as she is very sensitive to it. Today was a pred day as well.
    Hoping she comes down in a few hours.

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Even if the food test isn't going as planned, I am SO impressed with how Chloe was over the past 7 cycles, it's been so fun to watch and totally encouraging to see that Chloe's body is still able to do a bit of self regulation!!

I hope you're able to find a nice food for Chloe, maybe I will learn something too! :bookworm:

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Hey Amanda thank you so much for your support. I know how important that is when we are doing this sugar dance. I am glad you are watching and learning also and I hope what I find can be a help and inspiration to you.
    Just trying to get some work done before I go and test again. She has eaten a little bit since this morning. While I wanted to wait and not see if a food spike I didn;t want to withold food when she came looking for it.
    I will message back what I find at the pet store later and see if I can come up with foods. I have been going through the food lists and either we don;t have it here, too high in carbs, too high in phosphorous or won;t agree with her IBD.
    Have a headache just thinking about it.

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Randi)))

That +5 is promising!!! Sometimes it can take a bit longer than six cycles but we also have to remember that she’s still getting pred even though it’s not every day. It will affect her BG. If she ate this morning, it looks like she’s bringing herself down. I don’t know if that yellow number was before or after the Pred.

So sorry if you said on other condos that she’s sensitive to chicken. I know you want to keep the Phosphorus low but, even on the CKD boards, the philosophy is the best food for a cat is the one it will eat.

What is her P level and do you give binders? I don’t usually ever suggest binders for a P level below 6 unless the kitty was above 6 and came down but, considering that she won’t eat, it might be worthwhile, at least in the interim, to feed her what she wants regardless of the P level and add aluminum hydroxide to bind the P.

You could also try getting some organic, raw lamb and cooking it and see if she will eat that. Or beef or any meat she does like. You can’t give it to her, without a supplement in it to balance it, for more than a few days but perhaps she will eat it.

Jill & Alex (GA) and AmandaE like this.
  5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree. Getting her to eat is a priority.

Have you had a chance to get a ketone test yet?

I've never given pred. Is dividing the dose possible (or wise)... a half dose in the morning and half at night or a half dose every day versus a full dose every other day? Just wondering. Like I said, I have no experience with pred.

Hang in there! Her body knows what to do. She just needs a little help.

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Hey Marje
    The yellow was before the pred. I always test first then feed in the morning. Habits. I put the pred in her food.
    And yes I know the best food is the food they will eat. Just brought the best foods I could keeping in mind the potatos, and crap and just looking at simple ingredients. Most I wouldn't know the P levels since they are not on the food charts.
    How do I know what her P level is? will that be in her bloodwork? I can call the vet. I have never given binders, I don't know what those are and they have not been suggested.

I did get a sample of raw patties but was afraid to try them. I wonder if I can cook those as they have all the supplements in them. I will check the package and the website. It is called
    Faim Museau

7. Randi & Max (GA)

We keep an eye on her going to the litter box but have not been successful. Might have to find a blood one today so I can check.
    I didn't think to ask the vet about the pred dose. So far I have seen 3 vets since the diagnosis. Only one is familiar with Chloe but the one I have mostly used and is the one that started us with the pred has not seen her. She has been off the last couple of weeks. Had to put her 2 horses down.
    I could attempt to find out why on the dose like this.

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

If you talk to anyone about the dose, don't forget to inquire about budesonide if you haven't already:

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Just curious - what type of meter are you using? I was looking at your numbers US vs World - interesting to see the differences - although it's the same reading - date/time, etc.

Thanks!

10. Randi & Max (GA)

@Sue and Luci I am using the USA Relion Prime, even though I am in Canada. Had to make a trip across the border to pick it up. Meters and strips way too expensive here, especially on how much I test.
    So the readings on the meter are in mg US but I need to keep track of the Canadian mmol numbers in case I want to discuss with my vet so I divide my meter readings by 18 and put that on the world ss.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I think it's great that you use both! I always find the numbers like 5.3, etc. completely confusing :) Glad you were able to get across to the US for your Meter/strips. I've heard they're terribly expensive there - and then the reverse - our insulin is pricey and yours is so much less!

Have a great day and thanks for your reply :)

Randi & Max (GA) likes this.
  12. Randi & Max (GA)

I actually did Jill with the vet I saw this week. She knew of it but with Chlos tarted to vomit at the beginning of the week we didn't want to change too many things and she would still need to be weaned off the pred. It is on my to do list. I have been dealing with too many vets in the past 2 weeks. Need everyone to stop taking summer vacation

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  13. Randi & Max (GA)

Looks like she is bringing herself down with the food. (anti jinx) These are 2 nice numbers being high this morning. Have a bunch if new foods to try. I wonder if not eating all night is creating the high numbers? I wonder if I should use a feeder during the night although not sure if any other cat wold eat it and who knows if she would go to it when it opens. Been a long time that I used it and need to remember how

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

From what I have heard from my vets and the IM get that consults on the lymphoma groups, once a day is fine. and it saves one pilling event per day. Time of day also doesn’t matter, unlike with humans. Worth a conversation with the vet if a smaller dose every day is better than EOD.

Regarding strips, I too cross border shopped. Also translated for showing the conversion to show my vet.

P level, or phosphorus, should be on the chem panel part of the bloodwork.

Nice mid day. :D

15. Randi & Max (GA)

Thanks Wendy. I will put in a call and find out.
    And I give the pred in liquid now because the pills were a nightmare

16. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes, the phosphorus value should be on her labs if they did a superchem.

I’m not sure if you can cook the prepackaged raw because the supplements are already in it. You could probably do it for a few days but cooking it will likely destroy beneficial supplements in it that make it balanced.

The P values are obtained from the food company just as the as-feds or dry matter basis data.

17. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

GIRRRRLLLL!!

Chloe’s got it going on!!!

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Whoo hooo!! Nice cycle.

(Remember to put Chloe's name in the subject line so we can find you.)

Randi & Max (GA) likes this.
  19. Jill & Alex (GA)

:D That's all I have to say!

AmandaE likes this.
  20. Randi & Max (GA)

OOps. Thanks for picking up my housekeeping error Sienne. Thanks.

21. Randi & Max (GA)

And she just ate like a champ just now. Tried a new food from the UK called Little Big Paw. Looks okay, I could be wrong. Sprinkled a little freeze dried lamb dust on it and she inhaled.
    Guess we should continue on this path a little longer? I am home all okay weekend if we want to change things up.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Fantastic!!! Love hearing that!
    Sounds good. Going over some pros and cons. Different time zones, different dinner hours... we'll get back to you in a bit.

23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like Chloe is having a hard time staying green. I really wonder if a couple things might help her. The first is the switch to budesonde we've mentioned. FWIW, I paid a little over $30 a month to have it compounded. Turned out to be cheaper than pills from the vet, plus easier to vary the dose when we tapered down a bit. Budesonide pills are small and crumbly. :mad: Switching away from pred might be the thing she needs to keep her numbers down.

The other GI related thing is that for IBD, it's best to stick with one protein for a while, 2-3 weeks at least, then try adding a second one. I know how hard this is when they are picky, as picky is a hallmark of IBD kitties. Been there, had the opened cans and raw food bags. :rolleyes: Setting her tummy with food consistency might help. Neko's numbers went up when her tummy was upset.

And lastly, Jill was pondering the idea of a drop or two dose when she goes over 200. Sort of an as needed insulin support until the pred/budesonide and appetite issues get settled. It looks like Chloe's pancreas is sputtering, but still partly on vacation.

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

I have mixed emotions about giving any insulin for obvious reasons. Maybe something to think about for this weekend since you'll be available to monitor? However, I'm not sure if I would attempt this when you're back to work. We'd really have to see how things go.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  25. Randi & Max (GA)

That's a lot to digest @Wendy&Neko an I so appreciate all of the thought you guys have put into this. I will tray today and see what vet is on call and attempt to dicsuss the budesonide vs pred. And hope someone there can help. My old time vet who is not old did not know what it was. The other vet I saw this week did but was not sure how to make changes or at what dose.

I just noticed the food I bought and that she liked yesterday had chicken in it which I really like to stay away from.but she ate it. SO I will see how her tummy is today and maybe pick another one from my stash yesterday and see if she likes another and try and keep the same food as you suggest and keep her tummy calm. I am also giving her probiotics.

26. Randi & Max (GA)

I was kind of thinking that too Jill and yes worried about her getting low and figuring out 1 drop. We can watch how today goes and maybe before bed time (mine haha) we can come up with a plan for tomorrow morning I will be home. Wendy is west coast, I am east coast so i don't see the posts until morning. So if she is higher tomorrow maybe we shoot? Definiately nerve racking situation.