7/27 Rocky - amps 330, +4.5 158, +6 114, +9 187, pmps 265, + 2 360, +4 328, +6 361

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jim (NJ), Jul 27, 2019.

1. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

Old Thread

We got our 1st blue today :) Still no poop yet, I gave him 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin twice yesterday. Going to try 1 teaspoon 3x today as i read that was a recommended amount to try. Besides no poop, he is acting great and looks like he is feeling much better.

I will try to test as much as I can this weekend but is there a specific time that is best? Are we just looking to find his lowest numbers to determine where his nadir is?

2. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

+6 114 :)

3. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

+9 187 .. if he stays this low at the preshot, should I still shot him with 4u?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Woohoo for blue! :cool: That is awesome. Not so awesome is the lack of poo. I wonder if you should call the vet and ask about an enema. It’s been too long.

As for dosing, we decide what dose to give based on how low the dose takes the cat, not the preshots. So far Rocky was in great numbers today and it looks like he is on his way up. I suspect he will be over 200 by PMPS and you will be fine to shoot his regular dose.

5. Wendy&Neko

Sorry, forgot to answer the question on times to test. With Lantus, the +2 test is often a good one to start. For many cats, the +2 gives you an idea what the cycle will look like. A+2 about the same as preshot means a typical Lantus cycle with some downward action. A +2 that that is lower means a more active cycle and you will need more monitoring. A rising +2 means a quiet cycle, likely a bounce and less testing.

In general this weekend, you are trying to test to determine his onset and nadir. Onset is typically somewhere around +2-3, nadir is on average +6, but can vary a lot by cat, or even by cycle. Finding his normal nadir time can help determine when best to test, and feed.

6. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

Great news he just went about an hour ago. Was pretty dark and smelled but solid. Ive smelled worse from him lol but so happy to finally see, we also put a little Vaseline on his nose and butt, he kept cleaning himself so maybe that helped too. I will post his pmps around 6:45 and hold off if its below 200 for further feedback. Thanks soo much for your help, hope your having a good day today!

7. Wendy&Neko

What time zone are you in! 6:45 is a long ways away for me.

Thank goodness for poo!

8. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

I am est.. pmps 265 .. proceeded with 4u and will test around +2-3.. Thanks!

9. Wendy&Neko

He may bounce from the blues he’s not used to. That’s OK, it is normal and just means the insulin is now able to do it’s thing and lower the blood sugar.

10. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

pmps +2 360 .. just went back to finish dinner after test, will try again at +4 & +6

11. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

pmps +4 328 .. looks like the bouncing you indicated may happen is this correct.

I was able to get enough blood for his 1st ketone test on the precesion xtra = 0.1 I just read they start to showup at 2.4 & 2.55 so that means none at all :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Wendy&Neko likes this.
  12. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

+6 361 .. goodnight all