7/30 Ravan/+8 68/+9 57/+11 79/pmps87/+2 99/+5 77/+7 111/+10 120/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-29ravan-8-176-10-267-pmps320-5-426-8-276.200303/

Does anyone know about how long the Relion Prime meter lasts? Mine is 6 months old & lately when i check bg the screen will just stay blank. I do the test again & it works?

I hate to poke Ravan a second time.

His BG is still High. I wonder if I should increase to 1 unit? He didn't have any green on Lantus for 4 days & I was going to increase to 1.5 on the Lantus before I switched to Levemir.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Possibly the battery is low? It should be giving you a low battery warning though.
    I insert the strip and turn the meter on before I do the poke.
    I think you should wait at least another day, potentially longer, before increasing.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Nice numbers today Ravan!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  4. Judy and Boomer

5. JoyBee&Ravan

@Judy and Boomer
    Ravan has me worried. He doesn't want to eat at all & walks a few steps & lays down? Been sleeping all day.Do you think it's from switching Insulin?

I thought he'd be feeling better with the lower bg?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  6. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    Could you please take a look at Ravan's SS? bg is 68 .I'm not concerned with low # just want to know if it's a good idea to try to get some food in him.
    I'm wondering if i try to keep the bg up a bit if it might slow the bounce down?

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's always a good idea to feed a couple taps of low carb food when they hit green. It can help them surf.

As for him not feeling well, I don't think it's the Levemir. Any chance it's hot where you are? I'm feeling lethargic in the very hot weather we are having here. I know it can impact kitties appetite too.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  8. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Ravans not feeling well, sending healing vines:bighug:

9. Judy and Boomer

Hi JoyBee, sorry I'm just seeing the tag now but I see that Wendy has responded!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  10. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    No not hot. We've been having nice weather in Chicago.60's at night & low 80's in the day.

I'm worried about the way he's walking slow & laying down every few steps. He's also leaking small amounts of urine every where he lays. I put down pee pads but he pulls them up & lays where he wants.

+8 bg 57 What do I do if he keeps going down at Shot time?

11. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    He did eat some liver an hour ago but his bg is now 57. I offered him a spoon of several Low carb canned food & he will not eat. He dropped to 35 once & it was difficult to get his bg up.

I'm feeling a bit anxious because he doesn't want to eat,it's close to shot time & his bg has still gone down lower.
    Any advice?

12. Judy and Boomer

Any chance he is constipated?

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Could you syringe food a little LC into him? You want to avoid feeding a couple hours before PMPS, but that's still 3 hours away.

Levemir has a later nadir that Lantus. You do have to get used to shooting low. I know you are just starting to gather data on how Ravan reacts to Lev, but it looks like his onset is later than +3. +4 is a typical onset, Neko's was +5. This means that you have quite a few hours after preshot to get food in them before onset hits.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  14. JoyBee&Ravan

@Judy and Boomer
    @Wendy&Neko

Ravan has never been constipated & now that he has diabetes i give him SEB a few times a week.I don't think that's a problem. I'm concerned it may be his kidneys?

I need to get used to shooting Low with Levemir. How Low? Is there a cut off number. Where I don't shoot or reduce?

15. Wendy&Neko

We suggest not shooting below 50. The lowest I ever shot was 51. But that was with lots of experience. If you get a number you aren't comfortable shooting, you can always stall and see if he comes up.

His labs do indicate kidney disease. Did the vet recommend anything? I wonder if he's feeling a bit nauseous, which can happen with CKD. The SEB should help. Maybe give it daily?

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  16. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko

He's still leaking urine when he lays down. The vet seemed to think we should wait on giving any meds. When I gave SEB daily he vomited, so now I only give a bit every other day.
    Ravan doesn't seem to want to walk much I wonder if his legs are hurting? When he was a few months old he broke his hind leg right before the hip joint. Because he was so young they said it couldn't be pinned & they cut the end of the bone off. It was no longer attached to his hip joint. They said the muscle would hold it in place & it would be fine.
    All these yrs it has been fine but I'm wondering now if it's arthritic & hurting? I think I mentioned it but his brother Jai died just 2 yrs ago from a reaction to Bupe pain meds. He went into respiratory arrest. The vet knows this I think that's why he has not prescribed pain meds.
    If his bg only comes up to say 100 do i still shoot the same dose .75 & not lower it?

17. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    When I look at Ravan's SS his bg is all over the place. Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen he'd drop low,35, or go to over 500.
    Is some way to really understand what his bg is going to do? I can't figure it out?

18. Wendy&Neko

You only lower the dose if he goes below 50. You've shot as low as 70 before on Lantus.

Maybe talk to the vet about trying gabapentin for arthritis pain. It's not an opiod so should work differently. Acupuncture really helped my Neko's arthritis.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Ignore the Lantus data, now look for patterns on Levemir. Don't look one cycle at a time, but rather over serveral cycles. It will be hard at first to figure out how he's working the Levemir, as his body is still learning it too.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  20. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    His bg is up to 79 I'll shoot in 30 mins the regular dose. Do you think he'll drop tonight? Should I be checking every hour?
    I'm going to look into the Acupuncture.Would xray show if he has arthritis?
    Thank you for the advice

21. Wendy&Neko

I have no idea if he'll drop or bounce tonight. It is the 6th cycle of Levemir, so you should be seeing what it can really do.

Xrays will show if he has arthritis. Neko's was bad enough the vet (and even me) could feel it. :( The acupuncture vet also taught me how to do acupressure, which I did daily. Neko grew to love it and purred through it.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  22. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    Is acupressure something i can find online for cats? I'd love to do that for ravan?

23. Wendy&Neko

I don't know. I have seen acupuncture diagrams, but the vet also showed me the correct amount of pressure and where exactly to press. Not something I would have wanted to experiment with on line information.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  24. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    I'll see if there's a vet out here that does acupuncture.
    When Ravan was first diagnosed the Vet was not my regular guy. He insisted he needed to draw urine with a needle to test for Ketones .I was in such shock that Ravan had diabetes that i said OK

He used an ultrasound & had him stretched out on his back , But still had to stick the needle in 3 times before he got urine. It was "BAD" Ravan was struggling & crying out.
    When I got home Ravan could barely walk. All wobbly.After he used the litter box he stretched out on the cement floor & lay there for quite a while. I definitely felt he was in pain. I called the next day & told the vet. He was angry & said that had Nothing to do with what he did.
    To this day Ravan does that every time he pees. Lays flat on the floor for several mins. He NEVER did that before that Urine test.

I'm wondering if that 3 needle sticks into his bladder damaged something?

25. Judy and Boomer

Lovely PMPS!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.