7/6 Catcat AMPS=346 +3=108 +4=160 Vetsulin .8u, Lantus handling

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CandyH & Catcat, Jul 6, 2019.

1. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-324-8u-vetsulin-2-231-5-122-pmps-373.216315/

need to know difference in handling Lantus vs Vetsulin .. I have both a vial and a pen, both previously used
    both steadily refrigerated except when in transit, packed with an ice pack
    did not get a package insert

Vetsulin vials must be stored upright, is this true for Lantus?
    how about pens? upright or on their sides? how do you keep them from moving, rolling?

Vetsulin must be shaken, stirred, rotated prior to using, I know this is not true for Lantus

using syringe to fill from vial, do you invert the vial as I've been doing for Vetsulin?

using syringe to fill from pen, the illustrations show pen horizontal and syringe horizontal, is this correct?

any hints, suggestions, etc?

I currently keep Vetsulin vial inside a metal vacuum style coffee tumbler, in the refrigerator, is this a good way to store Lantus vial? how about pen? at the moment that is on its side inside an insulated file box in the fridge, with the vial next to it, upright

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would keep my Lantus in a crisper drawer since the temperature is more consistent. You don't want the Lantus to roll around overly much so if keeping the pens in their original box or in a container works for you. that's fine. The pens do not need to be kept upright. Keeping the Lantus the same way as Vetsulin or how you have it now sounds fine.

Lantus is a solution (vs a suspension). Do not roll or shake - there's no need. Compared to other insulin, it's a bit more fragile but not overly so.

However it is most convenient for you to draw insulin from the pen is fine. I kept both mostly vertical. The pen works on a pressure system. There is a black plug that moves down the pen as you draw off insulin so there is constant pressure keeping the insulin at the rubber plug. Do not inject air into the pen -- it's OK to inject air into a vial but not a pen. With the pen overdraw the amount of insulin you need, pull the syringe out of the pen, hold the syringe with needle to the ceiling, tap the pen to bring any bubbled to the top and then gently screw the plunger to the desired insulin dose.

You can use a Lantus vial the same way as a Vetsulin vial.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. CandyH & Catcat

thank you, I wondered .. I read the "don't shake or roll" and the "don't inject air into the pen" -- and I usually don't inject air into the vetsulin vial either

but did wonder about upending the Lantus vial, wasn't sure if that came under the "don't roll" guideline -- it is easier for me to see the plunger and the syringe markings if it's all vertical

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  4. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

You just don’t need to roll it or shake it, but it isn’t so fragile that you can’t move it or turn it upside down! I dropped my Lantus pen on the floor the other day. It didn’t ruin it. I try not to and everything, but you know, it happens!

How much is in the vial and how much is in the pen? Since they have both been opened.... I would be interested in how long ago they were opened, and try to decide which one to use up first!

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Also I’m glad to see you got the Lantus!!! Catcat is on a relatively low dose of caninsulin so you probably won’t need a very high dose when you switch to Lantus, either. :)

6. CandyH & Catcat

vial appears to be half full, expires 5/2020; can't tell about the pen, the portion you can see is full, expires 4/2021

those in the know say since he's been doing okay on .8u of caninsulin, that .75u of Lantus would be a good starting place, I'm going for the SLGS procedures

not sure if I could test Catcat often enough for TR .. even as much as I've been doing is IFFY .. every so often I need to give him a break

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  7. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I don’t blame you. I test Alice very frequently, but she’s so agreeable because she was so weak already when I started! I figured 0.75 Lantus made sense, too. I am excited for Catcat! :)

CandyH & Catcat likes this.