? 7-Jan: Tyler : AMPS=227: +2=137 :+3.5=58: +4=79: +5.75=148: +7.75=220:PMPS=331: +1.5=308

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PussCatPrince - GA, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Yesterday condo 6th Jan

Terrible stormy weather overnight. Wind howling through the trees and the sound of the estuary tide rushing out. At dusk you could see the white horses tumbling on the sea from where we are.

Tried to input previous lab test results onto the SS Lab Tab but got into a right tangle so deleted that. lol

Have noticed that the vet clinic did not mark when they wanted to see Ty again *sigh* .

Meter strips and lancets still not arrived due to the storm weather up on the North Island delaying everything including domestic flights. Hopefully they will be here Monday. Husband had to do a sweep and search yesterday but did manage to find one packet at a pharmacy down in town (city). Price came in at well over double the NZ online price. Thankfully the Iams grain free arrived A OK.

Ty starts this morning's cycle in the low yellows.

2. PussCatPrince - GA

+2=137.
    Will Ty dish up a green today?

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

That’s a pretty big drop between shot time and +2, I usually feed a drop like that to slow it down, keep your eyes peeled, I’m guessing you’ll see a green soon, hopefully not a neon one. ;)

Sorry about the shipping delays, hope your supplies come soon.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  4. PussCatPrince - GA

Rather a helter skelter from the yellow start, down the blue slope to the green .
    Gave him a teaspoon of food as that green at +3.5 read 58.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Stacy & Asia

Those huge drops are often what triggers a bounce, not to mention often earn you a reduction that perhaps wasn't meant to be. For the next time you see a big drop like that at +1 or +2 you can feed Ty a bit to slow down the drop, he will still likely get to wherever he was going, just not as rapidly. Once you figure out how he responds to carbs (LC, MC, HC), you can decide which food is best to slow it down. :cat:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. PussCatPrince - GA

I'm a bit hopeless at all this. I realise that despite all the reading and re-reading I do. Tiz odd for me as I chart family history trees for people and I can fit those jigsaws together well enough. There again I learnt about all that decades ago.

I had been reading about not feeding after a nadir , so I gave him a small meal now and won't again until his PMPS.

He seems to like his AMPS drops I think, even though he gets his food with his insulin dose, so will watch for this thankyou. @Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Stacy & Asia

Not hopeless at all, you're doing remarkable, it all just takes time to figure out: small bites. It's overwhelming enough at first just figuring out the testing and SSs and all that. Once you get that down, then you learn the finesse bit! ;)

8. PussCatPrince - GA

Up into the yellow again 4 hours before PMPS.

I am now wondering if perhaps the last reduction was one of those ' wasn't meant to be really' as per @Stacy & Asia observation on BG cycles. Just happened because of the swings

Looking at his SS he dips fast in the early part of his cycle. So I should be maybe feeding him his food during that and then nothing later on as his BG levels rise.

Does this seem sensible? Will it help?

9. Stacy & Asia

It looks like he does drop steep somewhere in the +1 and +2, and then you see the result of that in the +3 (Asia gets wild in these hours as well). Knowing that seems to be his pattern right now, especially in the am cycle, get all the +1 and +2 you can, and when you see a drop that doesn’t belong, give him some food. You’ll have to try different carbs to see what works, try MC one day and note what happens. You’ll also be able to study his SS and see what his typical rises and drops are so you can easily spot the funny ones. Asia goes up or down 20ish points in an hour, anything much more than that and I’m on alert, as soon as you see the drop, feed it, don’t wait for that green to show up.

It also looks like he’s bouncing right after away from those greens, that’s okay, he will get more used to them as time goes on and hopefully you’ll see many more! ;)

10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Easy on those dips Tyler!! I love your description from where you live. Must be beautiful.

11. PussCatPrince - GA

TBH . He can hardly walk anymore.
    So wobbly . So low on his hocks.

Anyway. A dish of pink.

12. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Hey Ty! What's with the bounce!? Clear it fast for mom and get back to healing blues and greens. :D:bighug:

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That was a big drop in the AM cycle which caused him to bounce up in the PM cycle. Hope your weather breaks soon and you can get the supplies you need.

How long have you been giving the methylcobalamin for the arthritis? Some say it takes a good month to see them not walking on their hocks. Poor baby.

14. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

@JeffJ
    You've had success with the healing of the neuropathy and reviewed a lot of neuropathic kitty cases. Any thoughts on Ty? I know it's supposed to be a couple to a few months of b12/ folic/Z treatment for significant improvements, but Ty's bgs are improving so you'd think his neuropathy would at least be holding, not worsening. Do you have any insight?

15. PussCatPrince - GA

Since the beginning of December @Bobbie And Bubba . He doesn't get 3mg , he gets 2mg because of his CKD. He gets that with folic acid. Maybe I should up this for a short while . I really am not sure what to do for his best with that.

I need to get back to the vet for arthritis pain meds. Arthritis has a part to play. All I now have is metacam which is not good for CKD from what I have read. The vet stopped the nupentin when that didn't improve Tyler's mobility but offered nothing else. *sigh*

I tried to take some footage earlier. Will try again .

Thanks for caring . Last night I watched him struggle so and my heart plummeted for him.

Girlies condo has some good info, cautions and suggestions.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Metacam has been black labeled for cats and isn't considered safe so you might want to ask for something different.

Hopefully the b12 will kick in and start to help with walking on his hocks.

17. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Healing from neuropathy is not always certain. The two main factors to heal are:
    - regulated BG, which we are seeing with Tyler
    - B12 methylcobalmine, which Tyler is getting

I forget how long Tyler has been on B12. His BG numbers look real good. Unfortunately neuropathy reversal is not always a sure thing. Tyler is also a grand old gentleman. So age is a factor. Many humans lose self-healing capacity as they age. Kittehs too.

I think it is wonderful that Tyler has lived such a fine and long life in a loving home. With luck, the neuropathy won't get worse, and could improve. It usually takes over 2 months. In Leo's case, neuropathy reversal was 4-6 months to regain 90-95%. Leo's case is different though. He was at 18 units/dose and BG regulation only occurred after radiation (SRT) for his pituitary tumor (Acromegaly).

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  18. PussCatPrince - GA

@JeffJ . Thank you. He's been on it for a month. Perhaps Tyler will improve but more slowly because of his age. I'll keep on with the B12 methyl .
    His fur hasn't really grown back from the shaving it got last September & his poor whiskers are much shortened and thin things from the monster whiskers he used to have.

Ty is certainly a grand old gentleman. No wonder Dusty , the kitten that came to live under the house, could not resist him and moved in.

JeffJ and Myagi (GA) and Heidi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.