8/10 Beenie PMPS 153, 232 +1, 251 +3, 216 +4, 156 +6, 144 + 7, 118 + 9

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beenie (GA), Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

So far so good! I was nervous last night thinking about today but when I got up, tested I didn't hesitate with the 12 U start. I'm so curious to see how the day progresses.

On a side note, I've noticed just recently (about 2-3 days ago) that Beenie may have put on weight...rather quickly I think. At last vet visit she was 8lbs (May 2017). Down from 13lbs last December. I got her on my, not so reliable, scale at home and she came in at 10lbs. Based on how she looks I don't think 10 is really off. What could cause weight gain that fast? Since she is not regulated just yet she still is rather hungry all the time. Knowing she's not getting all the nutrients due to the FD I don't stop her from eating out of our civies plates. They are both slow eaters and not big appetites so most times they could care less. I have three auto feeders in three different rooms. Beenie's opens first and she gobbles up maybe half, then runs upstairs and seeing if she can get any of her "brothers" grub. She is successful most of the time. Then she heads back downstairs and eats the rest of hers! I've been going under the assumption if she's hungry let her eat because of unregulated diabetes. Could she be absorbing the calories/nutrients she needs and putting on weight because she is eating too much?
    Or should I worry there is something else going on?

2. Beenie (GA)

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You could do that or stay with every 2 hours. It would be interesting to see how the effects of this first Lev dose unfold. The nadir might be a lot later than you're used to and this would be a good way to see where it is. Mind you, it could change next cycle. I must say that for the first dose the numbers are lovely! :)

4. Beenie (GA)

Whew! Ok so no need to panic, thank you. For peace of mind I'll check her again at 1:30 which will be +7
    Thanks Kris. I don't know how I can do this without you guys:bighug:
    While I pray for some dark greens I may throw up the first time it happens:nailbiting:

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Yep, in most kitties Levemir onsets and nadirs later. Bronx usually nadirs around +9 to +11. Hopefully you will be able to do some more testing in the 2nd cycle around nadir time. Might have to set an alarm... Nice to see that blue already!

6. Beenie (GA)

I know we've only had two blues ever and in the 190's. So this took me by surprise. I will definitely check in the 2nd cycle. Thank you for checking in on us!!

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Woohoo blue! :cool: Looks like Beenie might be one of those having a stronger reaction to the change in insulin. Or not, he is a cat after all.:cat: I'm curious to see if he gets down to low blue/greens on his first cycle. If you do see those numbers, give her a couple tsps of her LC food to see it it'll help her surf. Neko's nadir on Levemir was anywhere from +5 to +13, though most often between +9 and +12, earlier if she was going low.
    At 12.0 units, there is something else going on. My bet would be acromegaly. One in four diabetic cats has it. It's a benign tumour in the pituitary that sends out excess growth hormone. Which in turns causes the diabetes and excessive hunger in many cats. Think growing teenage boys appetite. :p You might want to be a little more careful with how much you feed her. I tried to get Neko to a good weight and maintain her there. Often our high dose cats (and even older ones in general) will get arthritis, and extra weight can be a problem.

8. Beenie (GA)

Thanks Wendy! I'll be testing again shortly and we'll see where she's going.

I've got to get my vet to get whatever the heck he needs to get testing done. I have a funny feeling Acro too. Makes me even more sure with the appetite. I will try to watch her consumption its just tough overnight when the feeders go off and I can't monitor:banghead:

9. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Jack can tell you about the acro muchies... He gets quite ravenous about food and finding that balance took some time. He would definitely eat more if anything got left out. The autofeeder helped. One thing I do that helps is put the civvies food up higher where Jack can't jump to, not sure if that would work for Beenie and the rest of the crew.

Looks like a nice cycle so far today. Like Wendy and Paul mentioned, nadir is later with Lev, but not always the same time. I've anecdotally noticed that too low of a dose results in an earlier nadir and the right amount has him nadir'ing later.

Glad there were no major surprises on the switch.

10. Beenie (GA)

I just tested again and we're at 136 +7. So I gave her a tsp of FF naturals chicken but now I realize that has zero carbs! Should I give her a tsp of FF classic that has a little carb content in it? Why am I so nervous??

11. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

You can give a little LC food to slow things down. No need to overdo it on the first day since you are starting a new blue chapter in the Beenie book. I was very nervous too, I was so used to high numbers the lower numbers caught me offguard. It takes a bit of time, but it will get easier as you learn how Beenie reacts to the new insulin. It looks like things are starting to slow down a bit, and he is still in nice safe numbers.

12. Beenie (GA)

ok thank you Wes!! I will test again at +8 and if its lower give a little LC food not NO carb food :rolleyes:

13. Wendy&Neko

Keep surfing Beenie!

Could you update your subject line with the numbers as the day goes by? That way we can tell at a quick glance if a post needs looking into. Especially if I'm looking but not logged in.

14. Beenie (GA)

Yes, all done! Will test again at +9
    Thank you :bighug:

Wendy&Neko and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  15. Beenie (GA)

Slightly lower at +9 but her automatic feeder will go off in half hour with 1/2 can of LC FF. So I'm not going to give her any now.

saltycat likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

17. Bronx's dad (GA)

How is Beenie acting? She's not used to a blue day...

18. Beenie (GA)

Acting the same. Nothing unusual of different. She knows that feeder is going to open soon so that's her focus...same as every day;)

Chubba (GA) and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  19. Beenie (GA)

At 3:00pm she ate 1/2 can FF and at 3:30 she's at 119 +9. Are we coasting? I thought her number would stay the same..ish or go up after eating.

20. Wendy&Neko

She's surfing. :) Levemir cats can nadir even later than +9. It is best if you can feed most of her carbs before nadir. Does she usually get a meal at +9?

21. Beenie (GA)

I feed her with the autofeeder at 12:00am, 3:00am, 9:00am, 3:00pm, and 6:30pm. She gets a tablespoon of food at her AMPS time of 6:30am.
    That all translates to AMPS feeding +0, +2.5, +9 PMPS +0, +5.5, +8.5
    Geez I hope that I did that right but I've been feeding this way for over a month now to give them all smaller more consistent meals. The overnight feedings (midnight and 3:00am) were designed to keep my civvie content instead of waking in the middle of the night for years!

22. Beenie (GA)

23. Wendy&Neko

Ok, this is where Lev gets interesting. You have to get used to shooting lower as the nadir is later. On this forum, we suggest that under 150, you do not feed and post for help. When you shoot lower, the cycles are usually flatter with Lev and Lantus.

I know you have a hypo kit. Do you have lots of strips and are you willing and able to monitor tonight?

ETA, fixed a typo

24. Beenie (GA)

Yes I am willing to monitor tonight but I'm confused. We're just above 150 so do I feed and shoot 12U?? Or wait and see if her numbers go up on their own first? I read the stickies but its all now a blur in my head. I just have the tight 12/12 schedule and its time now to shoot if I'm to keep the 12 hr cycle.

25. Wendy&Neko

She is already on her way up. She has come up from 119 at +9. If you are up for it, shoot. We suggest getting a +1 and a +2 when you shoot your lowest yet. I will be around on and off the next 7 hours if you have questions.

26. Beenie (GA)

Ok thank you. I'm going to feed all the furbabies and give Beenie her shot. I will test +1, +2...
    :bighug:

27. Wendy&Neko

Neko's second cycle on Lev was all blue. I fell in love with Lev at that point. Paws crossed Beenie is one of those kitties with super flat cycles.

See you in an hour.

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  28. Bronx's dad (GA)

Levemir is a depot insulin and will build up in her system. Keep a close eye on these first 3 days.

29. Beenie (GA)

Thanks will do! I have to say back to your question from earlier...about how she's doing. After 5pm (EST) or so she's be acting a little bit perkier than normal. Just a little while ago she decided to hang out upstairs which she doesn't normally do. Then she was hanging out on the stairs and just jumped off a step she used to always jump from but hasn't in literally years!!!! Unbelievable.

Djamila and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  30. Beenie (GA)

232 +1. Thoughts?

31. Wendy&Neko

At what + time do you normally go to bed? I think you can hold off testing at +2 unless you just want to gather data.

32. Beenie (GA)

I usually hit the hay around +4 but I want to stay up to see where she goes later. I agree not worth bothering her at +2 but +3 for sure.

33. Wendy&Neko

Hard to tell from one cycle of data, but it would be nice if Beenie onset at the typical +4, cause the onset test is a good heads up on what the cycle will look like. Chances are she will still be on her way up before then.

StephG likes this.
  34. Beenie (GA)

Hope it was ok to change thread header to PMPS so you can see the numbers easier. Will test again at +4 to see if we see the onset like I did in the AM.

35. Beenie (GA)

156 @ +6. A few minutes ahead of schedule with test but seems similar to first cycle so far.

36. Wendy&Neko

Slowing down, looks like blues wins the night.:cool:

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  37. Beenie (GA)

Thanks so much Wendy! :bighug:
    We just tested at 118 +9 which is so close to the am cycle. I expect a rise by next hour :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.