8/14 Loudogg AMPS 116/98 - Meter Comparisons

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

July 30, 2019 Condo - Dosecrease Threat Answered

Good morning everyone!
    It's been a crazy few weeks here for us, but I appreciate Lou's resolve. Thankfully Lou earned himself a reduction to 1.5u on August 5th and has been holding beautifully steady since. I cannot tell you how great it's been dosing on a line again. :p We decided to switch from the Contour Next meter to the Relion Prime meter due to the increase in strip price for the Contour strips. We started running comparisons last night and it seems the Prime runs 15-25 points lower than the Contour Next, which is jarring, but we'll get used to it when we switch over completely. The hardest part for me I think is the Contour meter seems so sophisticated in comparison with the Prime, but I reckon the general ease of the Prime will be easy to get used to. One thing I don't like is the complete silence of the Prime. No notice that you have enough blood or that the test results are in. Kind of annoying really. :rolleyes:

Things have been crazy here for the beans as well. As many of you know, I'm a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), which is a two-year associates degree. I've been in the field 5.5 years now and I've finally decided to go back to school to become a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS), which is a four-year degree. I decided on the school (online program) and enrolled, which took longer than it should have. I just recently learned I need far more prerequisite general classes than I thought before I enter the program, which is immensely frustrating. The reason I picked this program was the price was half that of others, I didn't have to do an internship, and the program was only 11 months instead of 2 years. Now these extra classes add to the overall cost and delay when I can start, so it'll be a 2-year process anyway. School starts in less than two weeks, which limits my options to try to take those classes at a local college, which would save me money. I am so beyond frustrated with this whole process and confused as to what would be the best option for me. An MLS makes more money (at least $5 more an hour) than an MLT, and I'd have more career options (such as being able to work at our local Veteran's Affairs hospital, which pays much more and only hires MLS' in their lab). So needless to say, I'm ready to give up, but it feels stupid to do that after it took me 5 years to get to this point. Hopefully the best way forward presents itself soon so I can move on to the annoying and scary step of being back in school. :p:rolleyes:

We've been pilling our civvie Bella the Denamarin she needs for her liver for the past 20+ days with overall success, but we've had our frustrating days. I think I need to try to look into a pill gun for her, but none of the options I've looked at have great reviews. I think having something like that could make the process smoother for both of us. Although I know it could be worse, she could be clawing and biting me during it, which thankfully she isn't.

I've been trying to check in here through it all, but we've had so many newbies join our board lately, so it's been overwhelming to try to work myself back into the fold. Hopefully I can get school settled so I can have time to catch up with everyone and introduce myself to all the new faces (furry and otherwise). I hope you all have a wonderful day and your kitties surf safely!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you get used to the Prime meter soon. I've learned from experience you can drive yourself crazy comparing meters. I hope you get the schooling figured out soon. Lou is looking good.

Bellasmom and AliceMeowliss (GA) like this.
  4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful that you might go back to school! I've regretted I didn't go back to Architectural Design School after my boys were born. I hope you stick with it!
    [​IMG]

5. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Wendy! I'll look into it!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing Carla. I figured I'd wait til we were at the end of the Contour Next strips and run a quick comparison before we fully switch over to the Prime. We only have 2-3 Next strips left, so we'll switch fully tonight. I told Caleb it's good to know, but once we get going with the Prime, the differences won't matter anymore anyway.

Thanks Joy! I'm nervous and excited, but I'm hoping it'll be all worthwhile in the end!

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I am super interested in both your associates and your upcoming educational plans! I miss school. I love science things.

I agree with Carla, comparing meters can just drive one crazy!
    I recently sold 9 vials of contour strips on supply closet, had no idea the price was changing! How frustrating.

It is SO hard to pill some cats. Alice is easy but my ginger with the allergies and who knows what else panics and scratches and runs away and hides and throws up sometimes too from meds. :banghead:

Hope you and Lou have a nice day! :)

7. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Congrats on going back to school! I’m sure it will be a lot of work, but hopefully will pay off.

Congrats on the reducie for Lou!

I have done the comparing meters thing too. I agree with the others.... it will make you nuts!!!!