8/15 DAVIDSON PMPS 119, +2-71, +4-60, +6-50, +7-61

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-14-davidson-pmps-119-2-5-94-4-73-6-55-7-57-8-62.201119/

Davidson seems to have shaken the early morning pmps for a few days with is big progress! As well, I've been giving him the hard bits (left at the bottom of the jar) of the Purica Extra Strength RECOVERY SA (beyond pain relief of joints) for the past few days again and after a day of full rest and horizontal, Davidson was walking around this morning with just a bit more of his usual limp from arthritis. This company also sell the full MSM for pets (also in the stuff I use 500 mg/ 1/2 tsp) if anyone interested.

I've been experimenting on the +9 feeding at pm time, and it doesn't seem to have a constant effect, so instead I'm doing the snack feeding at +7 which seems to be no different then the +9 - expect I get some sleep in advance YEAH!!

In spite of the Vet visit and the soreness Davidson was in yesterday it seems he worked off the mid day stress bounce and is starting the day of nicely.

Oh - I was going to fatten the dose a bit today, but he's been dropping to the mid 50's at the start of his nadir and increasing will bring him down too much at this time. I'll see how he goes in the next few days and maybe shave it a hair to see if he can sustain those low numbers.

Sending you all wishes to a great day!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Reason for edit: added text
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

:D:D:D I hope you can find something that consistently helps Davidson's arthritis.

3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Carla, I’ve been using a product for the past couple years that works well, I just ran out a few was ago i see how well it works, dah! Davidson’s doing much better today, back on the bed sleeping and walking around. I get the new order Friday, and hope the old crusty stuff at the bottom of the jar still has some zing left in it, lol. Seems to for now.....

Amanda & Shmee and carfurby (GA) like this.
  5. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Well, I guess by the sounds of it Davidson is in the early stages of CRONIC RENAL FAILURE. I got a call from the Vet and he's in surgery all day so won't be able to see me but said his CRF levels are up and looking at his age this is very common. Everything else is fine and he saw Davidson's SS and wonders why I don't reduce the insulin since he has been in the safe/healthy zones for some time. He is aware of the TR and I told him I have been working on reductions which he's earned and that he's close to getting another one. I couldn't hear him well since I was at the Harley Ship getting a service but he wants me to do a slight reduction for a few days to see if his BG numbers will change & how much as he feels 3u is too much at this time.

QUESTION: Does giving Davidson getting insulin when he's in the green zone have anything to do with the start of kidney failure?

I am taking Harley in Friday for his geriatric BW and will speak to the Vet and find out the options. Wendy/Tiggy suggested a subq perhaps once a week to help slow down the process. ANY COMMENTS ON THIS?

LAB is updated so see attached sheet and please provide any and all information that will help Davidson.

He's no youngster and in spite of being in great shape (not counting arthritis which we all get incl. our pets) it's a fact that things come up. My job is to pay and get whatever it takes to keep him around and stretch out the time he's here without any complications.

FWIW - he's not peeing any more then usual, not loosing weight, no signs of anything other then limping around from arthritis (BTW, today is is much better) and at this time dealing with FD. He is drinking water but that could also be from the FD, and he is a bit vocal at night, but we have always talked when going to bed so it doesn't appear to be out of the ordinary.

This is upsetting to say the least, but I'm hopeful that he's still got a couple of years...........paws crossed!!

ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED, MEDS, HOLISTIC WAYS???

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Reason for edit: added text
  6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

There is a very helpful and comprehensive website https://www.felinecrf.org/.

It has everything you could think of asking and things to start with, when to start them. All possible issues you will face etc. More information on there than can be processed.

My Civvie Rain is year 6 post dx. She has been slowly working her way through the stages. Right now she is late stage 2.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I don’t have any info on this but will send lots of healing vines to you guys and lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Tracy, I'll be reading up on it as I've been doing a bit already.

9. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this news. :( It looks like there are some good options out there though, I hope there is a good treatment plan out there for your Davidson.
    :bighug:

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m headed out right now but I’ll be happy to look at his labs later and give you some thoughts on them as well as CKD.

No, green numbers and insulin do not set him up for CKD.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  11. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie was diagnosed with CKD (which is used instead of CRF nowadays) in stage 2 when he was like 12 years old. When he passed away at 18, he was still in stage 2 and I didn't have to change anything.

12. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Marje! I’ve been on the CKD site and looked at Davidson’s lab results and compared them to what the site illustrates. Davidson is in the “very early stages” and from what I see he just needs a phosphorous supplement. Lots of reading, haha. but it’s something I have to do and I’m happy to have made the decision to do the geriatric panel, or I’d never have known.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  13. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

Sorry to hear about Davidson. Hope you find a solution to keep him with you. Healing vines coming davidsons way

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry about the diagnosis, but it is early days. Neko cruised along in early stages for quite a while before she added other conditions. I too was using the Recovery Formula with her. I ended up stopping it because it contains cranberry which isn't as good for CKD kitties.

No, you want to reduce his phosphorus. High phosphorus makes him fell icky. You might want to look at introducing some foods that are lower phosphorus. Fancy Feast are typically on the high side of phosphorus. If you look at Dr. Lisa's food chart, getting the P down closer to 200 will help. Davidson's potassium on the other hand, is on the low side, but you don't want to supplement without the vet's supervision. Did your vet provide any comments on the blood work results?

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  15. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

OPPS, I mixed up the P's and I believe it's the potassium that may need the supplement - I've been reading "Tanya's Comprehensive Guide"......maybe a bit confused or mixed up some things as I skimmed thru it. Going to speak in person tot he Vet Friday when I take Harley for his geriatric testing...........BUT, the Vet said this is the VERY EARLY stages and to monitor him, so I'm learning what I can and understand food is a big part so will be checking Dr. Lisa's chart and Tanya also has food charts specific to CKD. I'll get all the recommendations from the Vet Friday and post what he suggests...........I know SubQ's is also something down the road, but if done too early can have negative effects.

I've checked the ingredients on the Recovery SA (extra strength) and I don't see any cranberry, so I'll call up the company as they are in Vancouver.

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It was years ago I used Recovery, the formula may have changed.

Definitely wait on the subq until the vet suggests it. Adding more water to his food is always good.

17. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

I rechecked and it’s all good with no cranberry. Both H&D get tons of water with their food, soupy consistency and that’s all they know so when there’s not enough water they won’t eat it. Most of the FF I give them is low in phosphorus and carbs so I’m good that way........his potassium is low so have to research that or wait to see what the vet says.

At least his BG levels are good and I think if tomorrow’s are mainly green with a low blue I will shave his dose a hair and see how he does.

18. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

My civie Catherine was just diagnosed with kidney disease a few weeks ago, and like you, I've been sad about it (and have been reading on Tanya's site!). But I have been through CKD with a few other kitties, and it does usually go on pretty uneventfully for years. There's just that initial feeling of "my baby's getting old." They can have a good, long life despite this diagnosis.:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.