8/22 Uncle AMPS 254, +3 229, PMPS 185, +3 161

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barbara & Uncle (GA), Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-21-uncle-372-2-295-6-224-pmps-208-4-181.182694/

Long day with a lot of false hope for strong appetite from Uncle. I have no less than 7 different cans of food open now. I know a lot of you have been there -done that :banghead: Every time I thought I'd found a new food that he liked, he would only eat about a tablespoon 2 different times in a row and reject it after that. He did seem extremely interested raw food again and ate a decent amount at PMPS.
    Hoping he'll eat some more at +2. Also looks like his numbers are coming back down. Haven't seen blue in a while:cool:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see those blues tonight. I hope you can get Uncle to eat consistently. Sending prayers.

Maybe something on this list would help:

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Barbara, I know what you are going through. Lately, Bubba can detect the supplements in his food and has decided that he has a discerning palate. UGH. I tried some of the tricks above. Then last night at his dinner time , I pulled out the florti flora and sprinkled some on and he gobbled his food down. Looks like I will need to order more of it as that is the only way I got him to eat this morning as well.

I have also had good luck with the oregano on top also in the past.

4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Barbara, just thought I'd see how Uncle's appetite has been these last few days. His BG numbers were looking good :cool:, hope you and Uncle have been having a great week :cat:

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It's hard when they won't eat! I hope you can find something to tempt him soon.
    Have you tried raw chicken hearts?

6. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Food....yup been there done that.
    Happy he decided to eat something at PMPS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.