8/21 Uncle 372, +2 295, +6 224, PMPS 208, +4 181

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barbara & Uncle (GA), Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...30-6-46-6-5-86-7-5-114-pmps-200-3-223.182504/

I haven't posted in a couple of days. Uncle's numbers have been out of control and he's not feeling well.
    His cardiologist had recommended that I double the Sotalol dose on Friday , because his ECG results showed only a little improvement in the arrhythmia. So I did that for a couple of doses and 24 hours later he didn't want to eat and had a bout of diarrhea. He has had a terrible appetite since. I think it is nausea because he will look interested, take a few bites, run away and hide in the closet.
    I spoke with my vet first thing this morning, she relayed the info to the cardiologist and he said:

"These are HIGHLY unusual and unexpected side effects. But, is it impossible? Of course not.
    Let’s STOP the medication for 24 hours, then resume at 1 mg/kg PO q12h for several days, see how he is doing, and then we can try to go to 1.5 mg/kg PO q12h (assuming this is liquid compounded). We absolutely can start any/all necessary GI meds (Cerenia and Metronidazole) to help recover the appetite faster.
    I suspect this is unrelated, but would rather default to a side effect than another problem. Please let me know if you have any questions!"

It's already been 36 hours of no Sotalol and not much has improved but I did pick up some Cerenia fron the vets this afternoon. I am to give him half of a 16 mg tab once daily. Hope it helps, in the meantime I don't realy want to give him anything else except that and his insulin.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry for the rough weekend.:bighug::bighug: Inappetence can be a side effects of heart conditions. That was Neko's first clue something was off with her. You might want to see if you can get a prescription for ondansetron too. I found it worked better for Neko. ECID. Cerenia and ondansetron target different nausea receptors so one may work better than the other. I hope Uncle feels better soon.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the meds help and Uncle feels better soon. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Feel better soon Uncle. :bighug::bighug:

5. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope the Cerenia helps Uncle

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and good appy vines. I hope Uncle feels better soon! (((Hugs))) :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry Uncle is not feeling well. I hope he starts to feel better soon and feels like eating
    Sending lots of feel better and hungry vines
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww...sorry to hear Uncle's been feeling pretty puny, but hopefully the Cerenia will do the trick!

It's nice to hear your vet be so concerned about fixing the problem even if he doesn't believe it's being caused by the medication!

Sending mega vines your way Uncle!!
    [​IMG]

9. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Yes, I feel lucky to have vets that are more open minded about that stuff. It's all hard enough already, so not having to push against their advice is a really nice break!

10. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Good to know, I will see how/if the Cerenia makes a difference and ask for Ondansetron if not. He's really getting bony :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.