8/26 Ming PMBG = 45, +1 = 101 what's the new dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-25-ming-pmps-88-1-52-2-115-4-67.218569/

I reduced Ming’s dose last PM cycle/drained the depot because he hit 25 in yesterday’s AM cycle. I did 4.5 units this morning again because I was having a hard time keeping him up last PM cycle and today, he’s still having green numbers!!!

I’m tempted to reduce even to 4 units tonight because I have a big important day tomorrow and really need to sleep.

Is the depot still in effect after two cycles or maybe somethings happening in his body that’s finally working the insulin?

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  2. Crista & Ming

+8.5 = 38

What’s going on?? I’m giving 2.5 units tonight. Maybe even 2

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, the depot is likely still in play. Doesn’t matter, 38 still means reduce. The pred taper is having an effect. I would do a mini dose, or even skip tonight. Depending where he is at PMPS. Looks like Ming now needs a BCS of 1/2 instead of 2/3.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  4. Crista & Ming

Aiya, I always somehow misremember the depot drain dose in some way. 2/3 of 6 should’ve been 4 units. Although I doubt the extra 0.5 units would’ve made a huge difference if I haven’t given it.

Anyway, I’m about to take his PMPS. I just got home from work and will update the SS with the correct times. We’ll see what dose he’s getting tonight.

As well. Is his new regular dose 5 u or 5.25 u?

5. Crista & Ming

+11.5 = 45

Ok I think I might skip tonight. What do you think?

6. Crista & Ming

Also I’ve never been allowed to skip a dose before so this is interesting and fun in a way :woot:

My sister asked if we should maybe give half a unit or 1 unit.

I fed Ming some FF with a bead of honey. There’s no point stalling imo because he was at 77 an hour ago and he’s probably headed down still.

7. Crista & Ming

Now that I re-read what I just wrote I realized I can’t shoot anyways because he’s not over 50. And now he’s got honey on board so we don’t know the real PMPS. D’oh!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what happens when I’m rushing and tired after work to get out of my dirty clothes (a dog had possible lepto).

Well... no shot it is tonight! I can sleep :) maybe...

8. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Since you are skipping, I hope you really can get some sleep for tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the depot works. You be good Ming:cat:

9. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Good call- think of it as a fur shot...and get some shut eye :cool:

10. Crista & Ming

Thank you :) I’m dealing with some legal stuff I don’t want to deal with lol! (But it’s not me who’s in trouble :woot:)

Hi Sandy! Yes I’ll remind myself when/if numbers climb up high.

+1 = 101

I might test in 2 hours and then call it a night.

11. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Well then, Crista, your beautiful Ming will allow you to get that legal stuff taken care of, with one less worry or concern. Good luck tomorrow:)

12. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Did you skip? I think it's the right thing to do. Wow Ming though...

13. Penelope and Mačka

Was he showing any signs of hypo while in the low-low numbers?

14. Crista & Ming

Yes I skipped! I'm usually not "allowed" to skip because of DKA. I would've been comfortable giving 1 unit tonight but oh well. Fingers crossed he doesn't skyrocket to the moon.

No. Yesterday, when he was at 25, my mom said she had come home and Ming was just yelling at her for food. My sister had fallen asleep and was supposed to test earlier.

The only symptom I've really noticed with Ming is heavy breathing and lethargy. A few times I would test him purely because he was breathing so loud to find he was low.

I think last night was probably the most difficult time I've had trying to bring up his numbers. It was difficult for a variety of reasons: I was VERY tired. I'm sick (coughing). I'm sleeeeepy and even though my eyes would open at the sound of the alarm, it took a lot of strength to force my body out of bed to test Ming. And Ming was not hungry and/or did not want to eat FF gravy. Plus I had only slept 3 hours the night before AND I had work the next day (today).

But. I'm young-ish and I can function somewhat ok with little sleep. Not as well as when I was 19-21 but it's doable. I definitely looked really tired and bad today because when I asked if I could leave early, everyone told me to go and said they understood. :oops::woot:

15. Penelope and Mačka

What did you end up giving him?
    Looooool nice start for the week.

16. Crista & Ming

I just gave him a lot and hoped what he managed to eat was enough to keep him green and it was. I think it worked out in the end for him because he stayed in nice dark greens. But my goal was to sort of bump him way up so I could sleep so I was frustrated to see that he was still low greens. I would've been more comfortable with numbers like 90 or 80 or numbers that were trending UP instead of down but he kept going down to the 60s. He had honey and FF gravy all night and he still kept those 60-50 numbers. Imagine if I had only fed him LC.

I also know Ming. He doesn't budge too much from FF gravy alone. I have to ADD honey to his FF HC to get him a temporary boost.

It's the middle of the week for me! But yes, it was nice to be able to leave early and enjoy the sunshine.

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think I would try 5 as his new dose. If it’s too little, you can always increase. But with a larger depot and going off pred, caution is warranted. Have a good sleep tonight, test for ketones if you can, shouldn’t be an issue though.