8/26 Tiiny Sole: AMPS 241

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Joanne&TinySole, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-25-please-keep-an-eye-on-tiny-soles-numbers.201658/

Well, last night was an experience that I made it through with the help of so many members of this group.
    THANK YOU to all!

Tiny Sole's numbers settled down enough for me to sleep after 1 AM last night.
    This morning, the SS is updated with higher numbers:
    AMPS: 241, +1: 333.
    I will test her again at +6

Prior to her AMPS and insulin, she ate and promptly vomited her food.
    I gave her a small amount, maybe 1+1/2 teaspoon of - please don't shoot me - chicken baby food, which is probably why she went up to 333 at +1 (just a guess?). I didn't feel comfortable dosing her with no food in her system, and she wouldn't eat any more of the FF she just vomited, so.

She's keeping me on my toes and the bean angels here are keeping me sane.
    A new day...we survived and there is LOTS to be grateful for!

I'll check in after the +6 and if anyone wants to chime in - I'll even take the admonishing for the baby food! - please, feel free.

Much love to all.
    Joanne & Tiny Sole

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

So exciting to see those greens last night! All and all a great cycle until it seems the bounce hit. I'm not familiar with using baby food, so I'm not sure of it's effect on BGs, but the +1 may be the bounce really coming hard and fast. We'll just have to wait and see! Shooting at lower numbers can be so nerve wracking in the beginning, but I'm so glad you got that data! I hope Tiny Sole comes back down for you sooner rather than later!

Jill & Jade and Joanne&TinySole like this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You need her to eat. Don't worry about the baby food, it will be fine. She had a nice cycle last night.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Baby food is all protein and has a little cornstarch if Gerbers which was my go to food. Either way it’s low carb. No worries. Typical bounce after the greens is to be expected for most cats. Enjoy your day. Get prepared for the real pj parties when she drops into 40’s and 30’s which you will handle just as well as you did last night with hc instead of lc. :):D

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Nice green last night and she is in bounce mode today which gives her and you a pokey break.:)

Baby food is just fine as long as it is all meat and no vegetables or pasta . I use Beechnut brand because there is no cornstarch in it which could raise the BGs up a bit. I always have baby food in my pantry as it is always something that both boys will eat when they go off their feed. And if they don't eat baby food, I know they are reallllly sick. Baby food was my salvation for Forrest, Civvie, yesterday prior to his vetty visit.

Good job monitoring last night!

6. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

You're so Lucky that Sole bounces in Pink or Yellow! Ravan is bouncing today ,Bg 414:( He goes to Red & Black! YUCK!!:eek:

I found some Organic Baby Food at "Walmart" Earth's Best Organic Turkey or Chicken in water. Nothing else. Total carbs 0. I use it when i give meds or supplements orally.

You're do'in GREAT! :)

7. tiffmaxee

@Bobbie And Bubba none of mine liked Beechnut and all have liked Gerbers except for one who didn’t like the chicken. Ham has been my go to and veal before it disappeared. As usual ECID.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  8. Bobbie And Bubba

My guys will eat both but when I can get Beechnut, I do only because Bubba is super duper carb sensitive. Feeding him some raw meat will bring him up from a low number. Yep, ECID.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  9. Joanne&TinySole

@tiffmaxee Vet told me not to feed Ham baby food to the kitties. Can't remember why, but I was kinda surprised and sad - my kittykids love the ham.

+6 is 321. I'm taking this bounce time to get things done and rest a bit.
    I'll test again at the +11, which will be 6:30 PM tonight.
    Funny, I was going to ask that if she was to stay in the lower numbers (blue and/or green) if I might decrease her dose.
    Today, I can see that she's going to remain on the 1.75 U until she gets consistent lower numbers for many cycles.

Is there info in the stickies about knowing when to lower the dosages? ...I'm getting prepared to be hopeful! :D

Call me crazy, but it seems like she wants to dip in the evening after the PMPS shot.
    Is this a common thing, or random and a part of her need to control me and not allow me to get any sleep?! HA! ;)

I truly am so thankful for everyone's encouragement and watchful eyes and advice.
    Each of you have managed to normalize situations I've never dealt with before and have given me the confidence to begin to handle the ride.
    I hope, among all hopes, that one day she can go off the juice and maybe return to normal.

I'll check in later after the +11.

Gratefully, Joanne & Tiny Sole (aka, Tiny)

Beth 73 likes this.
  10. Joanne&TinySole

Oh, wow! That must be nerve-wracking to get those red and black bounces! Especially after the string of blue and green numbers Ravan had!

Moses! Either too high or too low and I'd surely be sprouting more gray hair on my gray hair!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

I wonder why your. vet said no ham. It’s been fine with all mine over the years (anti jinx). It’s the only one I’d be able to give one of mine should the need arise as we try to figure out what causes her eosinophilic granuloma.

12. Joanne&TinySole

I'll ask when I call tomorrow and get back to you. I thought it was weird too, but...??

13. Bobbie And Bubba

I am curious also. I feed raw pork to my two boys. They love pork.

14. Joanne&TinySole

Funny...she didn't say "pork" only "ham" and it was specifically in reference to baby food.
    I think the raw diets would be fine.
    Not sure if it is/was a sodium concern?
    I'll find out and report back.
    Mind you, I had been feeding Gerber's ham baby food to my cats for years without issue.

15. Joanne&TinySole

+11 is 290, so Tiny Sole is still bouncing.
    See - I'm even learning the lingo! ;)

I'll post her PMPS around 7:30 PM and report back later!

XOXO

16. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: To you , Joanne

17. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Also will be interested to hear vet reasoning behind ham baby food being a no-no ...I wondering salt too.

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are using the AT, and I think following TR (a bit unclear on the signature), you reduce when they go below 68.

Today is what we call a pokie break day, a day to do something for you. :)

19. Bobbie And Bubba

Good guess. Can't wait to hear. I remember some here saying when all else fails to get a kitty to eat, the ham baby food will do it! For my boys, chicken or turkey baby food will do it.

20. tiffmaxee

Not because of sodium. The ham and chicken both have 35 mg.

Beth 73 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  21. JoyBee&Ravan

Pork is safe for cats to eat, although ham and bacon should be avoided. Smoked meats have a high sodium content and can contain sulfites, which are not ideal for cats.

According to the Association of American Feed Control Officials or AAFCO, the food to be fed to cats should not go over 0.2% referring to sodium content. Ham goes way beyond that! I know you do not want to hear about this part but this is the cruel truth. Ham can be bad for felines.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  22. Joanne&TinySole

Maybe that's it, then. I'll get an answer from the Vet and get back to everyone.

So, my SS stopped working! :arghh: Any ideas on that?

PMPS: 312 at 7:30 PM
    1.75 U Lantus given

She seems kinda mellow tonight. Maybe those higher numbers are playing on her mind too!

23. JoyBee&Ravan

Too much ham may cause hypernatremia, diarrhea, dehydration, indigestion, vomiting, electrolyte imbalance and negative impacts to the growth of your cat.

I would not bother with feeding Ham!

24. Joanne&TinySole

SpreadSheet working again! had to access it via my Google account to add data.

SS updated. Will test at 9:30 PM EST and just before bed.
    ...feeling hopeful for a good night's sleep!

25. Joanne&TinySole

+2 at 9:30 PM is 280

Since she's starting to dip a bit, I think I'll test her at 1:30 or 2:30 AM, which would be a +6 or +7.
    I'm sure I'll be up for my usual evening jaunt to the bathroom anyway.

I hope all beans and all kittens have a night of restful and healthful sleep.
    Grateful for all of you.
    XOXO, Joanne & Tiny Sole

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Tiny bladders and older bladders as in my case for both, come in quite handy with a diabetic cat. ;)

27. Joanne&TinySole

Amen to that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.