? 8/27 DAVIDSON PMPS 82, +2-104, +4-74, +5-64, +6-74, +8-79

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Aug 27, 2018.

1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Davidson. I don't know anything about potassium supplements. Good luck.

3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I wish. I discontinued on Saturday after pukus. I may go to 1/2 tablet/cycle something like every other day. IDK yet. Going to see what his levels are in the bw taken Saturday and see how much good the 3 weeks actually did.

I wonder if the injection potassium makes them nauseated. I know it stings them pretty bad. I wonder what the injection dosage is. Will have to research and talk to Gizmo's IM doc.

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Nice start!

5. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

What a couple of nights you had last week Shawna hero!!!

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice Davidson.

7. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Does anyone here in LALA land have success with potassium tablets? Davidson gets very nauseous on the Renal K+ that I've been giving him and today was laying in his LB as he just isn't feeling well. I read that one of the side effects of this supplement is to make the kitties nauseous, so that's not working with Davidson.

I've switched his food to a very low phosphorous/carb content since he was higher in these areas with his recent BW, he likes the food which is good. However when I put the potassium boost (Renal K+) into it he won't eat. I have to spoon feed him and sprinkle FortiFlora on each spoonful to get him to eat as I believe it's salty and he knows it makes him sick. One of the side effects I read states it also affects his rear leg muscles - so why am I giving that to him when that's the issue he had to begin with?

Perhaps I should not give him anything other then the glucosomine he's had for several years and the Nutro wet food I'm giving him and see how he does on that??

He walks when he's not nauseous, but that seems to be many hours as I'm trying to spread the dose over the course of the day.

ANY assistance would be appreciated

8. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Ravan was recently diagnosed with Kidney disease & he has Arthritis in his hind legs. I've started him on Adequan for the arthritis, he had the 5th shot yesterday, I've been told it can take over a month to see an improvement.
    I use an insulin syringe & give the shot sub Q He weighs 12.5 Lbs & gets 25units. every 4 days for 6 shots.

After watching the video By Dr. Becker & Dr. Pierson ( the video is long but has a Lot of good info. The info on Calcitriol is toward the end. ) I decided to start Calcitriol for his Kidneys. It's a nano dose orally. He doesn't have any reaction to it ,no nausea.

Hope this can help :)

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used plain potassium gluconate powder for Neko, just mixed it in her food with no issues. I looked at the Renal K ingredients and it looks like they have other ingredients in there he may be objecting to.

If Davidson has arthritis, we can't get Adequan in Canada, but Cartrophen does help some kitties. I have heard glucosamine gets mixed results, and after a while isn't enough, at least that was my experience.

10. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

THANKS...........I used this product for the past few years called Recovery SA which was a glucosamine, MSM product and he never had an issue. I think the problem with his legs is the low potassium levels which is why I bought the Renal K, so maybe try a plain powder.
    Wendy - do you know which product you used for Neko? I will also check on the Cartrophen. The other issue he has is that his phosphorous levels are almost on the low end of the "high" scale at 1.8 (as is Harley) so thought I'd start them on a phosphorous binder...........Harley gets it now, but not Davidson as it could make him nauseous too.

QUESTION: should I just take away the supplements now and give him the Nutro low car/low potassium food plus the glucosomine supplement he's been on for years - maybe that might be enough to get his leg weakness stronger? I think he needs the potassium boost looking at his lab results, and maybe try to get the plain potassium gluconate.

I'll look at Dr. Lisa's video on my other device since this one has no speakers.........

11. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Just got off the phone with the Mfg of Renal K+ and they said for the most part it is pure, they add flavour enhancers and if giving him PURE Potassium Gluconate to be very very careful as it will upset the ionization in the cats body and can be dangerous. he said to try scaling back the dose to a wee bit over the next 7-10 days gradually increasing the amount and if that doesn't work he said mix it with water and syringe it into his mouth.........hmm?

The products from the Vet - Aventi Kidney Support has a bunch of other ingredients so I will go back to the beginning and start over with much smaller doses.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you are playing with potassium amounts, please do so under direction of your vet. Bloodwork needs to be retested to make sure you are giving the right amounts. I didn't keep the potassium supplement, sorry, don't remember who made it.

I used the Recovery SA in the beginning with Neko, stopping it when it was not enough,

13. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

YES, absolutely consulting vet on all aspects of what I'm doing..........even on OTC products. I'm not a Vet and would never administer any product without his consultation. Thanks for looking out for me :D........It's strange as this was all of a sudden, not a gradual thing that happened, so will monitor and hopefully he'll get used to the Renal K or the Avanti..........

14. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

Poor Davidson I wish he was feeling better. Like I said I have garfie on aventi and no nauseous but then every cat is different. Tonight was first night he didn't really want his supper he ate a bit and walked away. Wonder if it was a fluke or something else. Will keep an eye on him maybe not liking supplement now i dont know.

15. LizzieInTexas

16. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Hi Liz.....they look good and I can certainly pay you for them. It’s a pure product without additives other then I think a flavour enhancer. I’ll PM you....also, can you not access Davidson’s SS, I rec’d and email stating you were trying to access it but couldn’t. It should be available thru this forum as everyone else sees it. Let me know if you’re having problems. Tnx

17. LizzieInTexas

They were gifted to me by another member here that lost her kitty. She had bought a case. Yes, send me a pm and I will get them in the mail to you.

Yes, I was trying to see what Davidson's potassium level was. It prompted me to request access. I was on my tablet so not sure if that had anything to do with it but I can access most everyone else's SS on it.

18. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

19. LizzieInTexas

I can see it now. Yeah, that 3.1 Is low. :nailbiting:

I can send you some of the tables I have been using too. I was able to give them for ~3 weeks until he couldn't tolerate them (though I haven't given up on them completely yet).

I got Gizmos pot up to 4 (see today's condo).

20. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

I saw your lab tests and they look good. I think you were looking at Davidson’s SS from 2014 as I see google put it in the trash, so I retrieved it and saw it was from 2014. That was all trashed as it was corrupt and they started the new format sheets. The 2018 should be accessible as it’s shared.

Was Gizmo having problems walking when his pot was low? Did he get nauseous too?

Thanks for the offer for the tablets...I sent you a pm

21. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/feline-diabetic-neuropathy-weak-back-legs.178252/
    I found this while reading you probably already have read this but just thought I would share

22. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Rebecca, I don't think Davidson has this as his diabetes and BG's are too low............but will mention it to the Vet

23. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

No problem was just reading I usually do some every night and I saw the weak legs area so I thought of Davidson so I sent it

24. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

@Wendy&Neko Wendy, I got the first shot today of Cartrophen from the vet and I injected him here. Do you know where I can buy this online in Canada or USA without a prescription?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Reason for edit: forgot something
  25. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

@JoyBee&Ravan I got a dose of Cartrophen (Adequan in Canada) and gave him his first dose at home today, then I give him that for 4 weeks and start again in 3 months. Do you need a prescription for Adequan in USA? If not, where do you buy it on line?
    Thanks,
    Shawna

26. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I get it from my Vet. As far as I know you do need a prescription to get it here. Last year ,if you googled ,"No Prescription drugs" you'd get places that you could order from without a prescription.
    The vets must of got together & put astop to it, (the good old boys club!) I just tried & could not find any.

27. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

28. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks!! My vet gave me the prescription and I sent it in so I get the 'reduced' price which is 1/10th what I paid for the 1st dose...........I'll have 50 doses from the vial. Davidson is really sleepy, no doubt a reaction or side affect. Did you or do you know of the side affects for this and how long they last?

29. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am not clear..:confused: ETA: were you responding to me?:confused:
    Are you asking about side effects of Ringers?

Over dose - over watering - isn't good for any cat but deadly for cats with cardio problems.
    The dose is usually is based on weight+ severity of the symptoms.
    My vet had my underweight cat right after DKA on 100 ml/ 24 h.
    We opted for 75 ml, and then , in a week or 2, to 50 ml/ 24 h.
    Her Potassium restored w/o additional supplements.

30. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Sorry Tanya, it was for the cartrophen that I was looking for the side effects.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  31. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

Come on Davidson let this work for you. I hope no more yucky feeling and you feel better soon. Keep us posted