? 8/27 Tiny Sole: How far can cat's bounce up?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Joanne&TinySole, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-26-tiiny-sole-amps-241.201679/#post-2243728

...and, does heat have anything to do with it, even if we live in an air conditioned house?

Ok, so I blew my 3:30 AM BG test on Tiny last night, and today:

AMPS: 295
    +8 is 360 - this is the highest she's been in a LONG time.

Do the experienced angel beans here think that this is still part of the bounce?
    Should I up the dose to 2 Units or continue with the 1.75 U?

It is flabbergasting to me how she can be in the 100s and even lower, then be up in the high 200s and 300s, approaching the 400s two cycles later!

She was diagnosed at 488 BG, and I'm not interested in going there again! However, I do see from other spreadsheets that some furbabies bounce all over the place.

My friends, I lay myself at your feet for your wisdom...lay it on me!

Gratefully, Joanne & Tiny Sole

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Bounces can take 6 cycles to resolve, this is cycle 3 after those greens. Numbers will wobble around during a bounce. Neko several times hit "Hi" (meter didn't read over 600) with bounces. :rolleyes: Stay the course. We dose based on the nadir - so ask yourself the question "how low can this dose take my cat?". She did get to high 80's which leaves a little bit of room for an increase, but let's see where she lands when the bounce is over before deciding if she needs that increase.

Jill & Jade and Joanne&TinySole like this.
  3. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Oh I know exactly how you feel :( Ravan is getting a bit better with the bounces but like Wendy said He can bounce where the meter just says High.

I still get upset,but I know I need to be Patient! It will get better, it will get better I keep telling myself. And it has!

Hang in there! You are not alone! The people helping you LOVE Kitties & only want the best for you & Sole!

Take a deep breath, an another .Try to be calm for Sole. She feels your stress. :) :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  4. Joanne&TinySole

Yes, I can see and feel the love, for the kitties and for me. The support and calm guidance and encouragement are invaluable.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. Joanne&TinySole

AhhhhhHA! Great information / advice! I think I'm instinctively asking myself "how low can this dose take my cat?", but now that you've brought it to my attention, it will definitely be my go-to question! THANK YOU!

This group has actually helped me increase my confidence, through the knowledge shared, and level out emotionally.
    I'm not going to say I'm not concerned, I am a catmom, after all, but I'm beginning to see that the ups and downs, literally, are part of the process.
    I'm hoping for a possible remission - aren't we all - but I'll be happy with steady BG values, but then I think 'maybe they won't come?'

Like anything, I think the unknowns make "get-'er-done-and-get-'er-done-right" people like me (probably like all of us here) a bit confused and a lot frustrated.
    How is it that we can have our pulse on other beats and the rhythm goes together nicely, but when it comes to diabetic cats...?
    Oh, that's right...it's their call! :cat:
    And, as a momcat, I just want to be able to fix the booboos they get. Diabetes is a big booboo.
    How is it that these precious animals of ours must endure this? Ugh. I feel for her.

I'm hopeful that everything will come together eventually, knowing full well that any city was not built in a day, let alone Rome! ;)
    I am grateful for the loving support here.

I'll be back with the bedtime BG.

And PMPS was 346, so...better than the earlier BG!

XOXO, Joanne & Tiny Sole

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Take a look at Max’s first ss. He was a rainbow kitty. Eventually he stopped bouncing. He had chronic pancreatitis which led to fd and likely why he never went into remission but I got him tightly controlled. Look at Neko’s too.

7. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I think it definitely depends on the cat. It sometimes seems (based on my experience or inexperience as it were) that cats will bounce up to where they are comfortable. For Lou, it was the 300s. He has very rarely gone up higher (although it has happened and not always from bouncing). I've seen plenty of other cats on here bounce up to the 400s or higher. It's definitely an ECID situation (they can't make things too easy on us!).

8. Joanne&TinySole

Will do. I've been exploring SSs of others and seeing the bouncing around.
    I'd take tightly regulated, believe me!

Tiny Sole was on Paxil for many years for aggression and general compulsive behaviors.
    After she was diagnosed this past May, I read that Paxil can bring on feline diabetes!
    I took a good slow and long time weaning her off of it, but Paxil no more.
    Since getting insulin, she's a totally new cat! A lot sweeter and calmer.
    I have to wonder what came first, the diabetes or the Paxil, or the Paxil brought on the diabetes.
    I'll never know, but I wish I'd have had her BG tested a lot sooner.

9. Joanne&TinySole

Yes, keeping that in mind as I explore the different spreadsheets around the forum.
    It's really quite interesting.
    I love seeing the greens and knowing that a kitty is about to go OTJ - very exciting!

10. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Definitely a good idea to poke around other spreadsheets. I didn't start for a long time, and I really wish I had started sooner. I've learned so much from just reviewing other spreadsheets that I feel it's an integral part of the FDMB process. I definitely agree about watching a kitty go OTJ! Super exciting!

11. Joanne&TinySole

+2 at 9:30 PM EST: 286
    I've got to get to bed...part exhaustion, part stress (work more than Tiny) and I have to get to work early tomorrow.
    I'll try for that +8 at 3:30 AM tonight
    Wishing everyone a night of ease and peace and healthy kitties.

XOXO

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Personally I’d skip the +8 and get some quality sleep.

13. Joanne&TinySole

Where's the love button for this comment?!!
    Thanks for helping me take the pressure off of myself. :joyful:

Goodnight everyone.

Beck and Philly likes this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

If you go to sleep, leave out some food so she can snack and keep herself safe. A big drop from preshot to +2 can often mean a more active cycle that needs extra monitoring. Just becaue she starts higher, doesn't mean she can't dive down. My Rainbow Queen, back in the day, could go through all colours in the spreadsheet in 24 hours.

15. Joanne&TinySole

:eek: !!! Well, THAT wasn't too nerve-wracking, now, was it!

That is great information - thanks!
    Tiny and the other three kitties free-feed (more like snacking) through the night on Young Again, have you heard of it?
    I also leave out moist food for her and the other three to nibble on.
    Here's the link: https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/zero-mature-health.html

I just ordered some of Dr. Elsey's pure protein can and kibble.
    I like to leave some kibble out at night, or give it as a treat.

16. Wendy&Neko

Good to know you are feeding dry food. That means you cannot use Tight Regulation for dosing and have to use SLGS instead. TR requires low carb wet or raw food only. Any reason you have to give kibble? Wet or raw food is much better for them.

17. Joanne&TinySole

The kibble is out because of my work schedule. I have an intense job that sucks my time (and energy) up. I want them/Tiny to be able to eat something when I'm not here.
    Maybe I just need a little more encouragement around feeding them the wet food all day long!

PS:
    +2 is 173 at 10:45 AM EST

I'm going to get a 12:45 PM and a 3:45 PM and will leave some wet food out for her now.

J. & Tiny Sole

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, Gabby could start a cycle in the 400s, drop to the 40s, and zoom back to the 400s. It made life interesting.

A timed feeder can help with leaving canned food available. Some models has space underneath for an ice pack. Another option is to make "catsickles"-- mix canned food with water and freeze in an ice tray or something that is portioned. Leave some out. However, if you have a cat that will hoover anything up that in his or her bowl, including frozen food, a timed feeder is still helpful.

19. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

The autofeeder was a godsend and I wish I would have bought one earlier. My guy would DEVOUR anything in his bowl so a feeder was a must for late night snacks... With multiple furballs it can be a little tough to figure out who got the bulk of the meal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.