8/28 Ming PMPS = 338

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Crista! So, Ming is off the Pred? It still shows on the world numbers.

Glad you got a break last night.

Bubba loved raw ground pork! It was his favorite until he developed an allergy to it and chicken. :(

Today is 8/28 not 2/28 ;)

3. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

How many grams a day should he eat? Glad to see he is (only) in yellows!

4. Crista & Ming

Hi Bobbie! No, he’s still on it. We’re tapering his dose really really really slowly since he’s been on it for so long.

Oh nooo! Do you know anyway to avoid it becoming an allergy?

And oops! Thanks for catching that

5. Crista & Ming

He’s overweight, definitely, at 18.8 lbs! It’s recommended to feed 3% of his body weight and that would mean 250g a day. But if he’s going to lose weight, I’ll need to slowly decrease the amount.

Wendy said it’s easier to calculate calories than grams. So I’ll need to figure out how to do that.

6. Bobbie And Bubba

All I know is to rotate 3 proteins to help confuse the immune system which I did. Sometimes , after an allergy you can retry in a year or so. We aren’t there yet.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Different meats have different calories, some, like pork are fattier than others. As an example, and jiust cause I have the lab breakdown for the Red Dog/Blue Kat line, kangaroo is 114 kcal/100g ME, wild boar is 236 kcal/100g ME. Two ends of the meat calorie spectrum, one has twice as many calories as the other. Dr. Lisa has a page on how many calories to feed.

8. Penelope and Mačka

My vet advised me to feed Macka, who is 12 pounds or 5.5 kg, 360 calories/day, as a yet-to be controlled-diabetic. I tried for 2 weeks, and in fact I think he needs just a little less than that, around 300cal/day to stay at the same weight and not lose any. They used a specific calculation formula to come up with this number, which I don't have.

I looked online to find a calculator that would come close to this result and found this one: https://www.ziwipets.com/ziwi-difference/feeding-calculator
    I am not sure about weight loss, but what I know is that it needs to be very gradual.

9. Crista & Ming

Awesome! Thanks for the links @Wendy&Neko

Yes, definitely! I read somewhere how to do attempt weight loss and I'll need to find that document again. It's in one of the raw cat feeding FB groups I'm a part of. And oohh thanks for the links as well. What brand of raw are you feeding Macka right now?

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

I think that is a lot of calories! Bubba is 17 lbs and he gets 300 calories a day to maintain.

Check out the formula of Dr Lisa's that Wendy posted.

ETA : Sorry Crista for the highjack.

11. Crista & Ming

Oh my god :eek: I'm reading Bennie's weight loss story on Dr Lisa's site and his rear end looks SO OUCHIE!!!!!!!! I know Ming has a bit of difficulty cleaning his bum but he can still reach if he attempts hard enough lol! The vet still gives him a body score of 3.5/5. He's big but not round. He's still got a figure!

No problem! I'm learning too :)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  12. Penelope and Mačka

I thought so too! but in fact, he maintains his weight at 300 cal/day. I believe it's because he is not regulated yet.
    I'm feeding him Small Batch, turkey flavor, only available on the west coast for now, which is where you are too! He will lick the place to the last crumb, whereas with FF, there's always something remaining :)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  13. Penelope and Mačka

What about Ming? What brand did you give him today (sorry if it's written somewhere, I scrolled but could not find it).

14. Crista & Ming

I've been making my own raw recently. Still trying to figure out the kinks. Some recipes calls for supplements, some don't. Right now, I'm giving him a raw recipe that doesn't call for supplements (80% meat, 10% organ, 10% bone + eggs + sardines. He gets pork loin, chicken hearts, chicken gizzards, and chicken liver and powdered eggshells for bone.).

When I go through the list of supplements needed, I can account for most of them in the ingredients I put in his food. I might just end up putting supplements in just to cover the bases. I had a discussion with my coworker who introduced me to making raw and she has the same dilemma too. She'll usually make a batch with supplements and a batch without. But a lot of the times, she says she forgets to put in the supplements.

Before, Ming would eat from the Primal brand. But he's not very consistent with it and the reason I wanted to make my own raw is because he likes chunks and it's more cost effective for me than buying commercial raw. I've tried a few different brands of raw but he just won't eat it. Also depends on the protein. Seems like he'll eat wild boar or anything piggy but turn up his nose with chicken and turkey. I had some success with chicken and salmon but then he was like NO! :rolleyes:

15. Bobbie And Bubba

I used the Foodfurlife.com instructions for feeding raw.

16. Crista & Ming

Yes! I was comparing their supplement list and going through their website.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

I am lucky enough to have a butcher down the street. If not, get your proteins at somewhere like Wholefoods where no antibiotics or lots of sodium is added.

You want the sodium content under 100 mgs / serving.

18. Crista & Ming

19. Penelope and Mačka

These are the limits of being a vegetarian, I have to rely on commercial raw food :/ I can't prepare any meat myself. Touching the frozen sliders (and mixing them with a fork!!!) is the best I can do!

20. Crista & Ming

Ah right! Yes, I can only imagine how difficult it can be. I'm not vegetarian but when I'm cutting up the hearts and other things... eck!

I've always admired people who are vegetarian and vegan. I try to eat as ethically as possible but I obviously don't try hard enough :facepalm:

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

For what it’s worth, I had two 14 ish lb cats who maintained on 250:g per day, split between them. And I fed proteins that averaged out to about 180 kcal/100g. If your pork mix is anything like the RDBK wild boar and he's getting 250 g, that would be 472 calories per day! No wonder Ming likes it. :eek:

Primal was only so-so here too, quickly tired of it. I bought meat at an organic and exotic meats butcher. They got their meat from Hill’s Meats, the local wholesaler of organic and exotic meats. They sell chunks or ground, if you have someone near you who uses them for a supplier, maybe they will order in for you. I got a premix from TC Feline on Saltspring Island, much cheaper than FoodFurLife, which I used later too.

Nice to see he’s drifting down today. Wonder if he’ll do the rainbow.

22. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Interesting, Ti-Mousse has to lose weight also and he is almost 18.8 ..... If you figure out the number of calories, let me know ! Or if I do bf you, l'll tell you!

23. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Just saw Wendy's post ..

24. Crista & Ming

:eek: He has always eaten like he's two cats, or at least like two of my friend's cats. Her two cats eat almost the same amount of FF as Ming.

OOoooo I'll keep the brand in mind when I'm looking for meat for the next batch. My family has been going to a butcher in Chinatown since forever and that's the pork he's eating right now. I was just talking to my mom about coming along the next time she goes and talking to the butchers (the butcher used to give me slices of bbq pork when I was a kid :p). But in the meantime, I'll be looking at other places closer to home for meat. And oh I like that TC Feline has a premix without liver as I do want to add my own.

Ti-Mousse and Ming are twins! :smuggrin: How much does Ti eat?

25. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

TOO MUCH..... :eek:

26. Crista & Ming

Ohh Ming is 18.2 lbs. He was 18.8 lbs on Sunday. I hope the scale is accurate. Or maybe he had a large poop when I weighed him on Sunday. :smuggrin:

He surpassed his 250g today already LOL oops... I suspect he'll eat one more 40g meal (unless I need to steer him with food later).