8/5 - Zeke -Lantus Newb- AMPS 291, +1 315, +5 128, +6 84, +6.5 105, +11 412, PMPS 398

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meridith and Zeke, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meridith and Zeke

Meridith and Zeke Well-Known Member

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Some kitties will throw up clear fluid, froth, or bile real early in the morning because of an empty tummy and too much tummy acid. Was there food in the throw up?

Meridith and Zeke likes this.
  3. Meridith and Zeke

Yes, that is why I posted on it. I am used to the clear stuff (which is why Zeke has to be free fed) and the throw up from eating crickets, but this time was more of an orangish color and definitely had food in it. It didn't affect his appetite any though since he was eating when I got up and the vomit wasn't that old.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's eating just fine.
    What was his AMPS?

5. Meridith and Zeke

Still another 40 minutes for that. I woke up early to get a +10.

6. Meridith and Zeke

His AMPS is 291. :) Been a little while since we had a yellow AMPS.

7. Meridith and Zeke

His +1 is 315. Will be doing a +5, +6 and +7 this cycle so we can start getting an idea of where his nadir is. Since this is his second day on Lantus, will monitor more closely then probably start slowing down on some of the testing tomorrow so we aren't always trying to stick him all day long. Thankfully he loves his tuna! :)

8. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

My experience with my cat on Lantus is that the nadir is a bit of a moving target. Sometimes his low is as early as +3 and sometimes as late as +7. I suggest that you do as much testing as you can so you can figure out when his "usual" nadir happens.

9. Meridith and Zeke

On Novolin, he ran about +4 to +5 for his nadir, but even then that was only about half the time lol. Zeke loves throwing wonky numbers out there, so will be seeing soon enough if it was the other insulin since he is on Lantus now, or if it is just Zeke. :)

His +5 is 128, so thinking we are bouncing now. Normal Zeke. As my daughter said the other day, her "bouncing baby boy"! :D:D:D

10. Meridith and Zeke

We are definitely bouncing, over a 200 point drop from AMPS now. Going to test again in 30 minutes to make sure the drop has stopped and he was eating right before I tested so that will help too.

+6 84

11. Meridith and Zeke

Ok, +6.5 he is at 105 so on the way back up. Was starting to worry he was gonna bounce too low with this bounce. Now to see how high he bounces. :nailbiting:

12. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

A Bounces bring BG up, from counter regulatory hormones being released.

Insulin brings BG down.

So far a very nice cycle there today, complete with a nice green nadir.
    :cool:

13. Meridith and Zeke

Maybe it is the depot finally getting close to where it needs and we will be sitting at lower numbers for his PMPS.

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Zeke is looking very good Meredith! Looks like going with the 2u to start was a good call! :joyful:

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Zeke likes Lantus. :D:cool:

16. Meridith and Zeke

With the way Zeke has been, figured the normal wouldn't be right for him lol. I am slowly learning how he reacts to it. :D

I'm sure hoping so. :) Will make things so much less stressful!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just an FYI, for most cats it takes 5 - 7 days for the depot to form and stabilize. Some cats to have an early positive response to a change in insulin but it doesn't necessarily mean the depot is working.

18. Meridith and Zeke

Yeah, I can see that. He went bouncy today and his +11 is 412.

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

Not unexpected at all Meredith. Zeke will still bounce from those low numbers his system has now become unaccustomed to but the glide down to those numbers is far less steep which should make it easier to get Zeke reacquainted with normal numbers and level him out in a few days.

20. Meridith and Zeke

Yep, Zeke has been a bouncy one and not enough lower numbers. This is only our second day. :) I will keep monitoring the way I am and watching for the leveling out.

His PMPS is 398.

21. MrWorfMen's Mom

Meredith you are doing an amazing job with Zeke. I admire your dedication and care for him! All kitties should be so lucky! :bighug:

22. Meridith and Zeke

Thank you Linda. All our furrbabies are our family so I do for them how I would one of my 2 legged kids. I would feel horrible if I did any less.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.