8/8Ravan/+5 499/+9 570/pmps531/+5 269/+8 251/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Whoa....really Raven - black? Come on down!

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

:eek: Bring it on down Ravan!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. JoyBee&Ravan

@Chris & China
    What do you think is causing these High #'s A few days ago he was bouncing in Yellow? I was so Happy I switched to Levemir. Now I don't understand what happened?

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Levemir isn't the miracle insulin a lot of people here make it sound like.

Yes, it can help with some cats, but in others, it can work worse or not any different.

I'm not saying that's what's going on...it just bugs me sometimes when I see so many comments about how great one insulin is over another and it's just not true. Every cat is different.

Now that I got that out of my system, is there any chance there's something going on with Ravan like a UTI or a bad tooth?

I think Ravan is just one of those very bouncy kitties and all you can really do is keep following the protocol and hope that he calms down.

Some of those livers just really don't want to re-learn that it's OK to be "normal" again!!

The good news is that we have had cats go from bouncing to remission.....and never "even-out" like we usually expect...so it's still possible!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am going to add my $0.02 worth. I did use both Lantus and Levemir. Once I switched to Lev, I would never go back. For many kitties Lev is an improvement. It doesn't mean it does away with bounces, or the need for more insulin when it's warranted. Ravan has failed his reduction, it's time to go back up to 0.5 units. Given that he was on1.25 units of Lantus, the less insulin alone is a good thing. :)

8. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I think that Ravan needs to go back up to .5u. He was doing considerably better on .5u

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  9. JoyBee&Ravan

@Marje and Gracie
    @Chris & China
    I was told before not to increase insulin during a bounce.

I don't know if this is a bounce or what is going on? His BG has NEVER been this HIGH.
    He was doing GREAT from the time I switched to Levemir until just 2 1/2 days ago.He was bouncing in Yellow for the first time.

Tomorrow I take him to the vet. Do I ask for a Lab test again?He just had one 7/11
    Is there maybe one or two specific tests i can have done to check for infection?
    His mouth was checked & a thorough Exam less than 4 weeks ago.,& vet said it all looked good.

When do I increase Insulin?

10. Wendy&Neko

Not true. You don't want to increase on the cycle when they break the bounce, because it can provide extra downward momentum and you could have a really active cycle. Any other time during the bounce, it's fine to increase if he needs more insulin. Increase any time now.

Did Ravan have a urine test last time? That's what you'd need to detect a urinary infection. I would let the vet suggest what other additional tests are needed.

11. JoyBee&Ravan

Yes, his Urinalysis was fine. Do you have any thoughts on why he's leaking urine when he lays down? I was petting him across his lower back & his skin quivered & some urine came out. I've never seen that happen before. He's still drinking a lot of water.
    And he's eating a lot. Probably from the high BG.
    I'm asking you guys if you could suggest what tests to ask for because my Vet knows I have low income so he's reluctant to suggest more testing. If you think he needs a specific test please let me know?

I already gave him his shot tonight I did increase a tiny bit But tomorrow morning I'll go to .5 units.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Not exactly correct......What Wendy has said is true....it's during bounce breaking cycles we don't want to increase!

Now what people mean when they say "don't increase during a bounce" is:

1. look at the last cycle or two....was there a low number that could have caused a bounce? If so, how low?

2. If it was a lower number, then they're right.....just because this cycle they're bouncing doesn't mean you should increase......the current dose has gotten them into "good" numbers. You'd want to hold the dose until the bounce clears and see if they can get back to those "good" numbers.

3...but if the cycle that started the bounce only dropped them into numbers their body isn't used to anymore, there's no reason not to increase just because they're bouncing

Does that make sense?

13. JoyBee&Ravan

@Chris & China

He was in green yesterday am. I can't understand why is he in Black #'s all day today? He's NEVER had this long with such high BG.

I just didn't think this was a bounce. He was bouncing in yellow just a few days ago. Why would he go to BLACK?

Could you Please look at his SS & tell me if I should increase tomorrow morning or NOT?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  14. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, he was green, but only 91....that's low enough to set off a bounce, but not so low that you'd hold the dose

I don't know why he'd all the sudden bounce so high....it's one of those maddeningly, frustrating and awful things that sometimes just happen.

I do think he needs the increase.....hopefully it'll get his whole range of numbers down

As for the testing, if he's leaking urine, I think it's probably a good idea to have him checked for a UTI....they're very common in diabetic cats due to the sugar in their urine.

They should be able to look for bacteria in the urine....if that's positive, they need to do a cystocentisis and send off a culture and sensitivity. That's the only way to positively identify the bacteria that's causing it and know which antibiotic will work the best to kill it

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

91 is just a high green, he has room for an increase. More insulin will bring down the overall range of numbers. His numbers seem to be trending up, which can also be an indication of a failed reduction.

Sorry, no experience in the leaking urine, that's why I suggested asking the vet.

16. JoyBee&Ravan

@Chris & China
    6 months ago Ravan had a cystocentesis done. The vet that did it used an ultrasound but could not get the urine. He poked the needle in his bladder 3 times. Ravan was being held down on his back & extremely frightened & stressed out.
    When I got home he could hardly walk. He seemed to be in pain.After he used the litter box he laid down flat on the floor in the basement He lay there for quite a while He has been doing that every time he pees, for 6 months now When I told the vet about it he got angry & said what he did would not of caused that.

I have no way to prove it. But I'm sure he hurt Ravan's bladder poking him 3 times. ( this was not my regular Vet, someone that fills in for him when he's on Vacation)

Maybe that's also what's causing him to leak urine?

I'll try to get a urine sample before I go.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  17. Chris & China (GA)

Poor baby :(

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree wholeheartedly with Wendy regarding Levemir. I actually believe there are other Lantus cats that could benefit from using Lev and, if I had it to do over, I’d have started out with it. I also don’t remember a cat that looked worse on it. Most that I recall looked a little better. They don’t all stop bouncing and neither did Gracie but she did a lot better on it.

I don’t know if the botched cystocentesis could have caused his urine leaking issues and I would ask the vet. If you free catch a sample, you might contaminate it but if there are white blood cells in it, there might be a UTI.

The other explanation for those black numbers is he’s losing duration because the dose is not enough to last 12 hours. He hasn’t been on this low of a dose in quite some time and it looks like it’s just not enough juice.

Many vines for your baby.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  19. JoyBee&Ravan

It looks like he's breaking the bounce now
    Do I increase the dose at amps or NOT ? (9:30 am )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.