+ 8 hours BG 120 Thanks

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Idjit's mom, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

He doesn't appear to have any symptoms, he's been taking his usual nap. I have him 3 oz. can F2F 13 carbs, he ate it all. Watching him carefully.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Holy Moly! I'm glad you caught that! Following the Lantus dosing guidelines, either TR or SLGS, this calls for an immediate dose reduction to 0.25 u tonight. I know you've only been dosing once a day but twice is better. Test again in an hour and post here.

3. Idjit's mom

There is absolutely no way to dose of 0.25. DH got wrong syringes, I don't have 1/2 units after all. I tried to measure a half this am, should have skipped it. I ordered correct syringes but won't have for 2-3 days. Perhaps, until I get them, I should adhere to vet's sliding scale.

4. Kris & Teasel

I forgot about that syringe issue. Why not hold off on deciding anything until you see the numbers up to PMPS. That 60 was at +6. Get a +7 and +8 to track his progress.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here's your post from earlier today: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/please-help.194326/#post-2173745
    We try to just start one post per day, so we can keep the conversations all in one place.

@rhiannon and shadow (GA) was right, time to start practicing those 0.25 units doses. Magnifiers help. Are you near a Walmart? They carry 1/2 unit marked syringes. Or you can take your usual syringes and practice the drop method. Load the syringe to 1 unit and practice taking one drop out at a time. Try for consistent sized drops. Count how many are in 1 unit. Then load to 1 unit and take out 3/4 of the drops to get a 1/4 unit. Please don't use the sliding scale. Too much insulin at this point would be a bad thing.

When you see those lows, don't give him too much food. Maybe just a couple tsps. You want him to be hungry if he's still low and you need to feed him again. Please test again 1/2 hour after he ate to make sure he's coming up.

6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Since my memory escapes me since Davidson was on insulin 4 yrs ago - I thought we earn a reduction when we are under 50?? I see the SS format has changed from back then to now have a dark green colour, and a light green colour - so maybe the TR or SLGS has also changed..........can someone please confirm so I know what to do when Davidson gets to those levels.

Glad you've reach the low greens!!

7. Wendy&Neko

8. Kris & Teasel

Lime green under 50 with the human meter SS and under 68 with the pet meter SS.

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Tnx, I just also read there is a difference between newly DX and long term DX.............Since Davidson was in remission 4 yrs, I assume he is considered "newly" DX

CONGRATS on your reduction!!!

10. Kris & Teasel

@Idjit's mom, this is where you want to be for Lantus dosing advice. :)

11. Idjit's mom

Sorry I whacked out, wanted someone to see and help.

12. Idjit's mom

Sorry wendy, I just wanted someone to see and respond.

13. Wendy&Neko

No worries. You can always change the subject line of your first post on the main thread. Go to the top right of the first post and there is an Edit Title menu where you can change the title to get more attention. And you can put the "?" prefix on which means you need help.

14. Idjit's mom

Oh, thank you! I didn't know. He's sitting on the back of his chair looking outside.

15. Wendy&Neko

Typical cat. Relaxing while mom is stressing. :cat:

Have you tested again? We need to make sure he's above 68.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  16. Idjit's mom

12:45 64 BG

17. Wendy&Neko

Still too low. Do you have anything higher carb than 13% If not, maybe a couple tsps of his regular food with a drop of honey or syrup/karo on it.

18. Idjit's mom

He's really mad at us for poking him, he's running away from dad. He will probably go pee on the floor to get back.

19. Kris & Teasel

Try giving him another little snack - not more than a teaspoon or two. If you have some gravy style wet food you could drizzle a teeny bit of gravy on the other food snack.

20. Idjit's mom

Friskies indoor pate with karo, about 1-1 1/2 tsp, he ate all.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  21. Kris & Teasel

He’ll hate it but test again at +8.

22. Idjit's mom

I know, we just have to do it (reliving raising our children)

23. Idjit's mom

Success! BG @ 2 pm = 120. I can't thank you all enough. DH is off to Wal-Mart to get correct syringes (I hope).

24. Idjit's mom

What would be best to do now? Certainly test at +12, but I am very hesitant to give a shot. We do have proper syringes now, 1/2 unit, but I don't feel at all confident about a 0.25 dose.

25. Kris & Teasel

Here's something: why not skip tonight but do a test or two this evening to see what happens to BG without insulin. You need evening data if/when you start BID dosing. This would give you a glimpse of what happens when only one dose a day is given.

26. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

pay attention to the black rubber stopper line..... that's how you get it right....

27. Idjit's mom

Yes, I think that is an excellent idea. We had planned on testing at 6 pm, so that would be +12 . (,if he will cooperate). I have been awake since 3:30 am, all I want to do is finish this day in an even keep and go to sleep. Thanks again, to each of you, for helping us get through our first crisis.

28. Idjit's mom

Wow, that really helps, and I do have magnifying craft lamp, so if needs be... Thanks again for your help.

29. Idjit's mom

Update +12 BG 109. He seems to be feeling well, hoping for a more even day tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.