9/10 Ming PMPS = 365, +6 = 119

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-8-ming-amps-169-4-365.219099/

I increased to 5 units this morning. And Ming had pred last night.

I did change Ming's pred back to tablet form and that has a slightly higher concentration (1 mg vs 1.25 mg). So I wonder if that's what's happening with this numbers.

I'm thinking of adding b-complex to his food. Right now, the raw recipe I'm using doesn't believe in supplements and I'm a bit on the fence about it too. I think eventually, I will make that slurry mix of supplements advertised here. But for now, due to costs, I just want to focus on getting those b-vitamins. Vet previously said ALP numbers are elevated probably due to steroids and b12 is good for diabetes anyway.

I've tried the hepato support from the vet but he doesn't like it.

Anyone know how much of a capsule I can add daily to his food? From my understanding, they come in 100mg and 50mg capsules and they're water soluble for cats.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

3. Crista & Ming

Oh aweEEEEsome!! I posted on a couple of FB groups but didn’t get any helpful responses. Thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for :)

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hope increase kicks in soon.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  5. Crista & Ming

PMPS = 365

I spoke to my vet yesterday about Ming’s pred. She said she wants to do a specFPL 2 weeks after we stop pred completely just to see what’s going on. And I’ll probably put Ming on the x-ray table too (we get free rads!). She did admit that this pred stuff is an experiment.

My parents are going away for two weeks to Hawaii for their 30th anniversary :bighug: at the same time, I’ll be on nights 3 nights a week and will most likely bring Ming to work with me since my sister is also working nights. That’s 6 nights at the hospital with stress. My vet prescribed gabapentin to help him chill out. I just notice he doesn’t eat for hours or at all at the vet. And it would suck real bad if he was low and won’t eat! Hoping the gabapentin helps him chill out :)

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dosecrease. I hope the gabapentin helps keep Ming calm.

7. Crista & Ming

Anyone use gel capsules here? What brand do you get?

I don't know if Ming will need it but I heard the b-complex is stinky or yucky or something :woot:

8. Wendy&Neko

Yes, I both bought some locally and on line. I used primarily size 4 and 5. Size 3 were a bit big and I didn’t like to used them with Neko’s soft tissue growth in the pharynx. I put b vitamins in the gelcap, along with a few other meds that could go together. I bought size 3 and 4 gelcaps at a local compounding pharmacy and a few size 5 from Canada West. Then I ordered more from Amazon. Thriving Pets also sells them as does Capsuline. You can even buy them meat flavoured for pets, though hard to get size 5 in flavour.

9. Crista & Ming

@Wendy&Neko what do you think about giving additional b-12 to Ming? He doesn’t have neuropathy but Tanya’s site says it helps with pancreatitis. Should I speak to my vet about it?

10. Wendy&Neko

I have heard others say b12 helps with pancreatitis, but I never used it for that. I would talk to your vet about. There is a small possible down side. Has he ever had his b12 tested as part of bloodwork?

11. Crista & Ming

No, I don’t think so. Is that another specific test?

12. Wendy&Neko

Yes, it is a specific test, often done with folate. Idexx does it, or Texas AMU as part of their GI panel.

13. Crista & Ming

Oh nice! There’s an option to add on specFPL. Might be a dumb question: so this test will tell us if there’s a b-12 deficiency? What else will it tell us?

Also IDEXX website says the cat needs to be fasted for 12 hours :nailbiting:

14. Wendy&Neko

I think they break the rules for a diabetic. And yes, there is a range for cobalamin so it'll tell you if he's low.

15. Crista & Ming

+6 = 119

Yay BLUE