9/10 Tina AMPS 107 +3 136 +5 96 PMPS 88 +2 98 +4.5 92

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina Marie (GA) and Jan, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good morning,

Thinking of Sonia and Leo and JoyBee and Ravan and Pamela and Amethyst, and anyone else with extra challenges. I'm not used to tagging yet - I'll check their condos:bighug:

Tina has now had some hairball treatment (Vet's Best) and some D-Mannose for the urinary tract too. I also put gabapentin and zobaline and CBD and kidney drops in her food. She usually eats all I offer, but I have to keep scooping food to the middle of the bowl. And now she wants freeze dried chicken dust on top.
    Last night, she was slowly eating - I went to get a dab of unadulterated food, and she was happy happy!

I found a hairball this morning (in her main spot) and no pee where it doesn't belong. I'll be waiting for urine results from the vet, since I was able to collect some.

Blessings to all -

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Tina today. I hope the Vet's Best and d-mannose help her.

3. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

What a great start for Tina today! I’m happy you weren’t finding pee In unexpected places!

Sounds like Tina lives in the lap of luxury!! Mmmmm freeze dried chicken dust :p

To tag you type the “@“ symbol followed by the member user name with no space after the ‘@‘ but visiting condos works too :)

Have a great day Jan :)

4. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

:cat:, :)

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Very nice Tina

6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I love Nelli's tender face. She melts my heart.

7. Krystina & Nelli

Awe.
    Thanks Jan :bighug:

8. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

I love her chin with the little black spot!!

9. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

That's good news for Tina, one hairball and pees in the right place !:) Have a great day Jan!

10. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Looking good!!!

11. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Hopefully you are feeling a little better today about the urine situation outside the litter box. Please let me know what d-mannose is. I hope you hear back from the vet soon too!!

I know your feeling of "overlaod". Yesterday I took one of my doggies to the cardiologist as she has a vey bad heart condition and her coughing has started back up again. Visit was ok, waiting on blood work which will tell us more about her heart condition and stretch of her heart. Last night while everything is going on with Yo, I found a nice size lump under her arm pit area. She previously had a lump removed on her chest area which was cancerous(about 2 yrs ago), so now you know where my thoughts are going. And with her heart condition she really shouldn't be put under anesthesia. So once again, my heart is heavy thinking about this new situation and what am I going to do.
    So never ever think that you are alone with all these situations that we find ourselves in.

Wishing you a well day and all you fur babies:bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

The vet's office still hasn't called yet, but I'm not too upset since I have this D-Mannose. It is a simple sugar, but isn't supposed to be absorbed. The D-Mannose attaches to e coli bacteria, (instead of bacteria attaching to bladder wall) and washes out during urination. In milder cases, it can be used instead of antibiotics. Tina doesn't mind it in her food (powder).
    Her urine looked good to my eyes, but if a heavy infection is found on culture, I might consider antibiotics.
    This D-Mannose sounds like a good preventive option. Still, I'm looking into more safety info for different conditions.
    I'm so sorry about your dog, Debra. Timing of health issues can be so rough. One step at a time. I lost my 7 yr old Springer Spaniel to cancer (bone marrow) and never, ever wanted another dog. Hurts too much. But my husband forced a puppy on me, who is now a healthy 5 yr old.
    Loving our pets so much just plain hurts. We can't always fix things, but we can just do all we can.
    A million hugs and strength to you, and thank you for you. Your dog and you are in my prayers.
    I'm calling the vets office. Grrrr!! I hate not knowing.

13. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

@Tina Marie and Jan, I have a background in medical microbiology so I'm curious as to what they have found on the culture. Many in FB's CDSI (canine diabetes support and information) have had a lot of success in using the D-mannose for prevention of UTIs. And there are some who use it in conjunction with a cranberry supplement. Neither have been shown to raise the BG.

14. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

wow! Glad you are here. I just hung up from speaking with a vet tech. She said the culture looked good to her, but the doctor would be back in the morning, to interpret and call me.

Do you know of any reasons - other health conditions, where it's use might not be advised? From what I've seen, it looks quite safe. I showed my bottle to a receptionist at the vet's and got a blank look! I'm curious what the vet will say too. I will post details I get from the vet in the morning.

I think my own doctor mentioned D-Mannose several years ago (he likes forgoing ABs and other pharmaceuticals when possible).

15. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

As I understand it, D-mannose prevents bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall, thus preventing infection. I'm not sure if there are any cross-reactions/drug interactions, but I haven't heard of any usage problems in CDSI. Plus as you say it is a simple sugar, not a drug, so IMHO, there shouldn't be any issues. I don't know the dosage for cats though.

16. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

For cats, Carla said 1/4 tsp BID is ok, and it cleared up Furball's UTI. Joy uses as a preventative a few times a week. I also found some older posts here on FDMB, while searching. For prevention, 1/8 tsp but don't remember or know how often.

17. Krystina & Nelli

Ahhh, yes lots of tears on my face today. Line 251 on SS and labs posted today.

18. Krystina & Nelli

@Marje and Gracie, if she’s around might have some good insight for you with this ;)

19. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I'm with you in spirit. Please Nelli, come back little baby. Why so much hurt at once. Prayers and hugs.
    I'm so sorry Krystina, but don't lose hope . . . I know you won't. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. carfurby (GA)

21. Krystina & Nelli

@carfurby, Nelli didn’t go anywhere o_O. She could use your prayers though :cat: :bighug:

22. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I'm sorry! I misunderstood. My mind jumped to her actually being away, in addition to the labs.
    I have looked at those labs. Is she still enjoying her fresh goats milk? Prayers for you both continue.

23. Krystina & Nelli

24. carfurby (GA)

The note on your SS made it sound like she disappeared. I guess I read it wrong. I always keep Nelli in my prayers. :bighug::bighug:

25. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

D-Mannose is also excellent for cats that have sterile interstitial cystitis. Most non-FD cats don’t get urinary tract infections; it’s typically the sterile cystitis. That can occur in FDs as well but the likelihood of it being a UTI in an FD is increased due to sugar in the urine.

Have you ever tried Food Fur Life’s egg yolk powder for hairballs? It’s a more natural hairball remedy and the egg yolk powder has other health benefits.

26. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thanks so much Marje for sharing that info on UTIs, and welcome back:)
    The FFL egg yolk powder for hairballs sounds great, especially since I had previously read about the benefits of egg yolk powder. Thank you!

27. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You’re welcome and thank YOU for the welcome back!!

28. Krystina & Nelli

It’s great stuff Jan. An added benefit... it makes there coats so shiny and soft :cat: ;)