? 9/15 Callie's AMBG was 188 after missing 3 shots. Positive pancreatitis test. With her being so sick

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Glennie, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glennie

Glennie Member

I'm not sure what to do. I always shoot 188, but with her BG staying fairly low with no insulin and being sick, I'm not sure. She did get Ondansetron and Cerenia and bupe this am.

I should get the call about pancreatitis test today. She still won't eat on her own, but I'm syringing 1/2 FF and 1/2 chicken bone broth in--just 15 cc so far, but hoping I can it a good feeding schedule going today with the meds helping.

So any thoughts on the insulin. I don't think I can handle a hypo today on top of everything else, but I also don't want to cause her any problems either.

2. Glennie

Glennie Member

Any ideas. I know I've hogged everyone's time with Callie this past week (or whenever something is going on here), but here I am again.

3. Glennie

Glennie Member

Tanya and Ducia, how much did you feed Ducia each day after her DKA? I'm trying to figure how much to syringe feed Callie. I don't want to blow up her tummy, but I want to feed her enough. She's only 7 1/2 lbs. now.

4. Glennie

Glennie Member

Vet did call with positive pancreatitis diagnosis. At least we know.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Knowing is a good first step. The recipe for treatment includes pain meds, antinausea meds, appy stimulant (maybe) and sometimes subQ fluids. It can take a while for an episode to subside. Upside is that there are many people here who have a lot of experience with it. :)

Girlie's mom and Glennie like this.
  6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Did they run the SPEC FPL? If so, what was the number?

Gizmo's numbers were really strange with this last panc flare. At least he was eating but he was definitely in pain and feeling off. Take a look at his SS - starting around 09/07. He didn't have any peaks/lows hardly at all. He just stayed flat. He has done this a couple of times but this was by far the hardest panc flare in a looong time. Gizmo hasn't ever had DKA so from that aspect I can't help but I do think you need to give some insulin. I will defer to others and see what they say.

@tiffmaxee

ETA - Did they give you any appy stimulant? I would at least get it to have on hand (going into the weekend). If you can keep her from throwing up I would be inclined to give her a dose. Sometimes it is just getting them eating again that will help them turn the corner. Once she is eating - plenty of water in the food (think soup) - as much as she will tolerate.

7. Glennie

Glennie Member

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I didn't get the tag but just dropped by and saw this. You want to make sure that you get more than 1/2 and ideally 3/4 of the normal amount of food into her to prevent fatty liver potential. The combo of ondansetron and cerenia should help the nausea but if after a day she still isn't eating on her own I would add an appetite stimulant. I prefer cyproheptadine which is a human medication that worked well for both of my Angels. Just a sliver worked but ECID. Others use mirtazapine which is a pet medication. Zyrtec original strength 1/3-1/4 a pill once or twice a day worked for Max as well. Pain might be causing inappetence too so you might want to see if buprenorphine helps and perhaps some sub-q fluids provided there aren't any heart issues. Gerbers baby food 2nd all meat worked for my cats even when cat food was turned down.

What test was given? I'm hoping the SpecfPL and not the SNAP. Whether really high or moderately I never found coincided with Max's symptoms.

Provivded you can get enough food into I would give at least a reduced dose unless you are too far off schedule or can't monitor closely.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Glennie likes this.
  10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

5cc's is one teaspoon of food. About 1/5th of a 5 oz can is about 30 cc's. If you're shooting for about half a can of food, you'll need to give about 90-100cc's.

11. Glennie

Glennie Member

It's too bad he had such a bad flare. Hope he's much better. So you were dealing with a pancreatitis and the hurricane? Wow! Gizmo's numbers WERE flat. Glad he's never had DKA. Hoping we can stop that from happening with Callie.

I don't know if they ran the SPEC FPL. I'm sorry. He did say it was severe, but no actual numbers. I always forget to ask that. I am going to try to post blood lab panels when I can figure out where to post them on her SS.

I'm going to pick up the appy stimulant this afternoon. It's the one that everyone says to use the other one. Of course! I need to go back to read about it. I have to go pick up all the meds this afternoon. I am so thankful he's giving me what she needs. No vomiting today. So thankful! Thanks, Lizzie, for your input.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  12. Glennie

Glennie Member

Lyresa (Squeaky), thanks for the specifics. They always make me feel better. :bighug:

13. Glennie

Glennie Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:And many...;)

14. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks for popping in, Elise. I appreciate your input. I'm picking up meds this afternoon from the vet, but wouldn't you know the appy stim is the mirtazapine. I think I'm going to try Fortiflora first, but I need to get in gear on getting that. If I can't get it and she needs it (She obviously needs something) I'll go ahead and try the mirt as long as she's not vomiting. (Med list: Cerenia, Ondasetron, Mirtazapine, and Buprenorphine). Maybe if I write them enough I can learn how to say and spell them! Learning a whole new language here.

I haven't heard of Zyrtec being used on inappetance. That's interesting, and we have that on hand for the kids' allergies.

She is on buprenorphine. So I'm hoping that's making her more comfortable. She has had sub-q fluids twice in the past two days. None today yet, but I have gotten 50cc of soupy food into her so far today. She is so unhappy with me!!!! She won't get near the food on her own even the baby food or her very favorite treat, a tsp of canned milk. I'm using chicken bone broth with FF one feeding and then the liver shake for the next feeding and then alternating. I haven't tried the Gerber 2nd all meat food, but I'll get some of that. :bighug:

Her BG at what should have been +4 was 186. I decided not to shoot. I hope that was the right decision for her.

I don't know which test was done. Is the SPEC test not as accurate? Or what is the difference?

Thanks again! :bighug:

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you are getting mirtazapine, see if you can get it subdermal. That format is supposed to be much better st limiting any side effects. I hope it works for you.

The Snap test just says yes/no, the Spec gives a number.

I would have done at least a half dose. Neko only had short attacks and I gave full dose, just syringed higher % low carb food. You have to be careful you aren't giving her regular food via syringe, as some kitties develop an aversion to that. Offer her something to eat on her own that is completely different. I had a hepatic lipidosis foster go off chicken completely.

16. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the pancreatitis diagnosis, but at least you know what you are dealing with. My GA kitty had chronic pancreatitis for at least 2 1/2 years...I had it diagnosed shortly after his FD diagnosis. His values were off the charts, but I was fortunate in that he only had a few episodes that required meds. Usually with the cerenia and bupe ( I used the injectable form) and a few times some SubQ he improved within a few days. A few times I had to syringe feed him for a short period ot time.I also gave him lots of home made chicken broth for extra fluids. Luckily he would lap up the chicken broth even when he wouldn't eat. I never had to use the appetite stimulants, but many other members have found them useful.

Sending healing energy for Callie and some :bighug::bighug: for you.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Ah, I am so sorry that Callie has P'titis and hope she is good as new soon and eats better for you. Have you tried sprinkling flortiFlora on her food to get her to eat? That stuff is like kitty crack and was the only way I got Bubba to eat his last GI episode.

Glennie likes this.
  18. tiffmaxee

I've been reading for years that Zyrtec works as an appy stim and had the opportunity to see for myself when Max was sneezing. It worked for him but maybe not quite as well as cyproheptadine did. Mirt was meowazpine for Tiffany so I never tried it for Max. I hope the meds help. :bighug:

19. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Sorry - I hadn't noticed that you'd started a new thread, so I put my last comments in your previous one.

Mirtazapine was a wonder drug for Girlie. Getting her to eat at the beginning was a monumental task, but Mirtazapine (as a compounded liquid), was a game changer. She's not ravenous (unless she's diving), but she eats!

More healing vines and a funny pic for you to make you smile (channeling Beenie here): :bighug::bighug::bighug:

a good day.jpg

20. LizzieInTexas

I have given Gizmo appy stimulants 3x's. First two were Mirtz, once in 2016 and once about a month ago. He gets real vocal on it and is super loving and purry and EATS. Those side affects last about 2 1/2 days and decrease in severity as the time progresses. I accidentally gave him Cyproheptadine (should have been Cerenia) and it really, really doped him up. He was pretty out of it. He was also a little feisty and also vocal on it too.

Both were pill form.

BTW Mirtazapine (Remeron) is a human drug. It is an anti-depressant. Very powerful and it made me very, very tired (sleeping 12-14 hours at a time) and very, very hungry. I was prescribed it for post partum depression. It is also prescribed for migraines in some cases.

If I have to give Gizmo appy stimulants again I will give the Mirtz. (JMO)

Glennie likes this.
  21. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks, Mary Ann. I'm sorry about it also, but as you said I know what I'm dealing with, and now I can get what I need for her.

We were having a pretty good day getting fluids down, but she vomited an hour ago. So feeling pretty discouraged now. So how sick was he for those 2 1/2 years? I'm thinking if she is this sick for a few more days she won't make it.

22. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What is the dose for kitties to use as an appy stimulant?

23. Glennie

Glennie Member

Lizzie, he gave me the pill form of mirtz so it's good to know it worked well for Gizmo. With her vomiting a bit ago, we will definitely be holding on that for a while. I would really like a Callie purr about now so that sounds good. Thanks! :bighug:

24. Glennie

Glennie Member

Cute picture, Darrah, and so true!:bighug:

Girlie's mom likes this.
  25. Glennie

Glennie Member

Bobbie, I just ordered it this afternoon. It won't be here till Monday, but I have mirtz in the meantime. I won't give it to her though unless the vomiting is under control. She's a pretty sick little girl. Time for more meds though. Thanks for letting me know Bubba likes it so well! :bighug:

26. Tuxedo Mom

In spite of his off the chart fPLI readings he only had about 4 serious pancreatic episodes and was able to recover back to eating on his own within 2-3 days with the cerenia, Bupe and fluids. He was a major food hog so if I saw him leaving even a morsel I was on high alert and would be ready to start treatment. One of the other approaches for pancreatitis is a short run of steroids such as prednisolone. Unfortunately my guy was a Cushing's kitty and I could not use any type of steroid even for a short time.

Glennie likes this.
  27. Glennie

Glennie Member

Four serious episodes is still a lot though, and I'm glad for you that he recovered within those 2-3 days. It's so good you were aware and could start treatment early. Callie went too long being sick. Poor tiny thing is so pitiful right now. Thanks, Mary Ann! Hugs!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  28. Tuxedo Mom

You did everything possible for her while you were waiting for the test results. Now you have a direction and can get a good treatment plan in place.

[​IMG] CALLIE

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Glennie likes this.
  29. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks, Mary Ann, for your encouraging words. I just hope and pray she can get recover from this.

The picture of the kitty is adorable. I'll bet that little one gets whatever he/she wants, huh?

I know what you mean about being so aware of a kitty's problems. Our Zeke had a problem with a plugged urethra. After the first time when I didn't have a clue as to what was wrong with him, I knew he was getting sick because his coat looked funny. He was such a cat! :bighug:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  30. tiffmaxee

It's 1/3-1/4 a regular strength Zyrtec. Max just need 1/8 or less if cyproheptadibe.

31. Glennie

Glennie Member

I just did a ketone test and go moderate. What do I do now?

32. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't stay up. I'm typing with one eye closed. Tagging @Wendy&Neko and @Yong for you.

Did you read the strip at exactly the right time? Most strips are usually 15 seconds. Do read the label to double check. I ask because ketone strips will darken with time.

Ketones are a result of not enough insulin (the BG numbers do not necessarily have to be high), not enough food, and an infection (or something else going on, as Callie does).

The link for ketone information is here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

If the test was accurate, put a call into the vet now. While you are waiting for the vet, get as much food and fluids into Callie as possible. Syringe feed soupy food. As much as Callie can tolerate. Ketones are life threatening and are difficult to treat at home. Ketoacidosis needs 24 hour veterinary care involving IV fluids.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  33. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

34. Glennie

Glennie Member

Yes, exactly 15 seconds. I couldn't get food down to give insulin. This morning I didn't give insulin because her BG was 188, and I wasn't sure if she'd keep the food down. I got about 90cc down today, but she vomited again tonight. Did give insulin but too late.

35. Glennie

Glennie Member

No ER vet near us. I'll call regular vet and pay emergency fee. I'll am heartbroken.

36. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree...she needs to see a vet and get fluids. They need to check her electrolytes. This doesn't mean she has DKA...right now her ketones are elevated if you read the strip at the exact time.

Better to be safe than sorry but also remember we've seen many cases of DKA here and getting treatment right away has been integral to saving the kitty. Might be time to talk about a feeding tube as well.

37. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Might be worthwhile to try and get some fluids in her until you can contact a Vet. You can try tuna water or unflavoured Pedialyte (few drops given every 10 minutes for an hour) or ice chips. *paws crossed* she isn't DKA. Let us know what the Vet says. :bighug:

38. Marje and Gracie

Just remember you have to be careful about tuna water. The can might say "tuna in water" but check the actual ingredients. If it includes vegetable broth, avoid it as it has onions which can cause problems in cats.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  39. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Right, sorry Marje, I forget to add that :oops:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  40. carfurby (GA)

I hope you were able to get Callie in to the vet if she needed it. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

41. LizzieInTexas

I hope you check in and let us know how Callie is. Don't give up hope. Gizmo has had two really bad episodes. Both required hospitalization. The 2nd one I wasn't sure he was going to survive (pretty much where you are at right now). He did. And though he is still having flare ups I have managed to keep him eating and maintaining/gaining weight, and managing the pain and nausea and lots and lots of water in his food. :bighug::bighug:

42. tiffmaxee

Garlic too!

43. Kris & Teasel

Let us know how it's going when you can. Sending positive energy your way. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

44. Red & Rover (GA)

Sending thoughts your way. I hope everything is okay.

45. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm praying too. I hope she's doing better and feeling better soon.

46. Glennie

Glennie Member

I am so sad to say we had to get Callie put to sleep this morning. I can't believe it. It is so surreal that my sweet little girl is gone. I am heartbroken and totally devastated. The house feels empty without her even though we still have 5 kitties and 1 dog. She was always waiting for me when I was gone for even an hour, she was the one sleeping on our bedroom chair when we went to bed, and she was the one that came in for the nighttime loveys. I'm checking the clock to see if it's time for her shot. I keep looking for her and thinking I catch a glimpse of her, and I miss those eyes following me everywhere.

The pancreatitis was severe, and she developed DKA. She was suffering terribly. I've been going over and over things I could have done differently that would have made a difference for Callie. The anti-nausea meds did work off and on, but the mirtz didn't help at all. I guess it was too late for that. I was syringing food and fluids in (and thanks for all the suggestions. I tried them all, and I so appreciate you taking the time to post them.), but this morning when I tried to get close to her with a feeding syringe she started whimpering and crying. I couldn't stand it.

We were left with the option of doing a feeding tube, hospitalization, and IV fluids, and they didn't know if that would work. It came down to not being able to afford all of it. I hate that!
    I feel like we let Callie down. She didn't deserve this, and I am so sorry.

I don't want this not working with Callie to discourage anyone else from trying for their kitty.

I want to tell everyone thank you for all your help and support. Because of you all I was able to have Callie for 9 more months, and while I needed that to be years and not months, it wasn't to be. But I am thankful for those 9 months.

I will try to write something about Callie when I can later so everyone can know what a special girl she was. I didn't do that when we were first on here, and I should have.

Also I have some supplies I would like to get to someone that has a need. I will post that stuff as soon as I can. Thanks again and hugs to all.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Girlie's mom likes this.
  47. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry (((Glennie))) for your loss of your sweet Callie. She will be waiting to meet you at The Rainbow Bridge one day. That is very generous of you to donate her supplies.
    Fly Free Beautiful Callie :rb_icon:

48. Tuxedo Mom

[​IMG] (((GLENNIE))

I am so so so sorry that Callie has crossed the Bridge. Please do not blame yourself...you did everything possible to give Callie time and quality. In the end you gave Callie the greatest but saddest gift of love any petparent can give and let her be free from pain and suffering.

I feel your pain and my heart breaks for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

[​IMG]

49. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Glennie}}}

It is so hard to see our beloved pets suffering, but just as hard to release them from it. Callie will always be with you, watching over you from the Bridge.

Fly free, Sweet Callie, and land softly.
    :rb_icon:

50. tiffmaxee

I'm so sad for you. It's never easy to lose one but especially hard when it happens so fast. You did all you could and gave her that last gift we never want to give. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. carfurby (GA)

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could for her and she knows that. Fly free sweet Callie. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Red & Rover (GA)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

53. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :bighug:

54. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Callie was lucky to have you to take such great care of her. Please don't be hard on yourself. You gave Callie a wonderful life and did everything you could to help her. :bighug:
    :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

55. Kris & Teasel

Oh, Glennie, I'm so sorry you've lost your little girl. We never have enough time with them ... :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

56. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Glennie, my heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry for your loss. Callie was lucky to have you. :bighug: cat_wings>o

57. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to read this. It is terrible to lose her, I know this . But you did make the decision. She was in awful pain, and even with the possible and very expensive treatment, she might not have made it. I have faced such decisions two times in the last 6 months. I am so sorry you have also faced this. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::rb_icon::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

58. Glennie

Glennie Member

We did make the decision, and I will never get over the guilt of it. I can't eat or sleep. I finally took a sleeping pill after 40 hours of being up. I so wish I would have insisted we find some way to come up with the money to at least try. After watching her suffer I couldn't stand it, but we should have at least tried. If only I could go back to Monday and get her on the right meds right away, I know she would still be here.

My older daughter and her husband recently spent $10,000 trying to save their much loved dog, and she died anyway. I'm wondering if that was in the back of mind.

I am so sorry you've faced these decisions twice recently. This is our second time over the last 10 months. We tried with our dog, and we lost her after an agonizing weekend for us and for her. This is all too hard. Thanks for your thoughts, and I'm sorry for your losses.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  59. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks, Dyana, for your sweet words and thoughts.

60. Tuxedo Mom

You made a decision based on what was best for Callie . I made the same decision just over 4 months ago. My boy and I fought and fought and fought, until he finally looked at me one night and "told" me he was worn out and didn't want to fight any more. I let him go 2 days after that. Maybe I could have kept him going for a little longer, but there was no quality of life left and it would have been for me rather than for him. I actually had more tests booked for a few days after I released him, but it was time to let him go. Sometimes the biggest regret is that a person waited TOO long to let them go.

You gave Glennie the ultimate gift of love even though it tears your heart apart. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  61. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Mary Ann. I will always blame myself, but thanks for the kind words and your compassion.

62. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks, Tricia. You're right, she always will be with me. That quiet little girl had a place in my heart that will always be only hers.

63. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks, Elise. I appreciate your sympathy. Today I just feel like I should have found some way to do more. It did happen fast, and she was too young. Hugs to you.

64. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks, Carla, for your thoughts and especially for your prayers. Hugs to you!

65. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Red. I appreciate it.

66. Marje and Gracie

My very deepest condolences and prayers.

Fly free, sweet Callie.

67. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you so much, Mandy.

68. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. Callie did have a wonderful life till this last week. She couldn't have been more loved. This last week I failed her big time. But thank you.

69. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Kris. You've been so faithful to be a support through this whole sugar dance, and I appreciate it. So true--never enough time with them.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  70. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Glennie, I'm so very sorry. These moments are heart wrenching, you did absolutely everything you could have, please don't second guess yourself. There is no way of knowing when our babies are sick, there often is so much else going on we never see. I have always felt that there is no wrong choice when it is done out of love and compassion, which is exactly what you did for Callie. Hugs to you :bighug::bighug:

71. tiffmaxee

I've had to make the decision for all my cats so far. One vet told me it was because we were so attached. You gave the final selfless gift. Please don't second guess yourself or feel guilty. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

72. Glennie

Glennie Member

It does tear our hearts apart, doesn't it, Mary Ann? But you can know that you waited till Trixie told you he was too tired to go on. I hope that comforts you a bit, but I know it probably doesn't. We waited too long with our dog. We didn't mean to, (and she was on pain meds) but because we didn't want to lose her, we did. It's so hard to know. Hugs to you.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  73. Kris & Teasel

No, Glennie, you didn't fail Callie. You did what you thought was the right thing. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

74. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Marje, for your prayers, condolences, and all the time you gave to Callie and me. Hugs to you.

75. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Christie. Yes, heart wrenching! The decision was definitely done out of love and compassion--and desperation to get her away from the suffering. She was on pain meds, but she couldn't even sleep. But I will always wish we had tried. Thank you so much for your kind words. Hugs back.

76. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Kris. Even when we were with the vet (the same poor new vet that we had to call in to put our dear Berit to sleep) I was questioning. She gave us all the time we needed, but I will still always question. At this point it's too late--the finality is staggering. I'm not trying to wallow here; it's just so hard. I so appreciate the support.

77. Glennie

Glennie Member

Yes, when you're really attached and love them so deeply, especially the special ones, the pain is so much more devastating. I'm trying not to feel guilty, but it's a losing battle right now. With both the pain of having her gone and the guilt, I'm a mess. Thank you, Elise, for your concern. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this will all your kitties.

78. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

You should not feel guilty, Glennie. Even if you could have bought her more time, what would her quality of life have been? I know you wouldn't prolong her suffering just to keep her with you. I made the mistake with two of my cats - keeping them going, trying everything, when with hindsight I can see they had already told me they were done and I refused to listen. I learned that lesson and didn't make the mistake with the next four. It's better to do it a little too soon than too late, trust me! THAT is when you feel guilty!! Miss her and feel sad that she's not here, but don't second guess your decision. You made it with love, which is always the right way to do it! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

79. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

I think it is common, and normal, to second guess our decisions when we are in these situations. You did your very best for your Callie, and she knows. She knew and knows how much you loved her, and you made a decision to take her pain away. So sorry for your hurting heart and wishing you peace.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  80. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I put down Yum's mother last year. I was at peace with the decision and then I second guessed it. She was the first pet I ever put down. She had a far easier death than those I watched die without intervention. Maybe I could have kept her alive a few more days, but it would have come at the cost of more suffering. Callie loved you with all her heart. You ended her suffering. She is at peace. I am so sorry for your loss.

81. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

There isn't usually the right moment. But a moment chosen with so much love and compassion isn't the wrong moment. Wishing comfort and serenity for you, and sending love to the spirit of Callie.

82. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Glennie, please don't beat yourself up. You worked so very, very hard to help Callie. I could feel your determination and dedication and love for Callie in every post. You said that she was suffering terribly. Letting her go was an act of great love and compassion. You were a great, great mom! Callie was so lucky to have you. I am so, so sorry for your loss.... :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free, sweet Callie :rb_icon:

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  83. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Glennie)))))
    I am so very very sorry. :bighug::bighug:
    I know that self doubt and "could I have? Should I have? Would it have?" Back and forth agony that you are going through....I am still struggling with it....but we can never really know the answers to those questions as much as we try to find them.:bighug:it just hurts to try..:bighug: I try to hold onto the truth that I did what prevented Gussie from moving from where he was, to more pain and hurt.... I think that you chose the same thing for Callie..what lay ahead was not a path I think as a cat she would have chosen if it meant more procedures and pain..it is far easier to say to be gentle on yourself than it is to accomplish..especially right now when you feel as if your heart has been ripped out and shredded and nothing is normal....I can't in any honesty say that feeling goes away, at least I'm still waiting, but it does sneak off now and then with time and then the memories bring smiles rather than tears...:bighug::bighug:
    The choice you made for Callie was a choice of action that came from a place of deep, unconditional love..it was an unselfish gift:bighug:
    Fly free Callie, chase those sunbeams.....:rb_icon::rb_icon:

Girlie's mom likes this.
  84. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear (((Glennie))),
    You listened to your sweet girl and helped her to fly free. At the Bridge Callie is "in good paws", surrounded by all our GAs until that wonderful day when you will be reunited. Please don't feel guilty. You gave Callie a loving gift. She trusted you and she will always be with you.

Fly free, dear Callie, you are much loved, cat_wings>o

In deepest sympathy,
    Ella & Edward, Rusty, and Stu (GA)

85. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Glennie))))

So sorry to hear that Callie has left you, but as others have said, please don't blame yourself. We give our furkids everything we can, but in the end, the last gift any of us have to give is a peaceful release from a body that has failed them.

Something I've heard that can be helpful is to make a list with 2 columns.....In the 1st column, write down all the reasons why you should have held onto Callie

In the 2nd column, list all the reasons for releasing her.

I'm betting that the first list will be much shorter than the 2nd.....and will contain a lot of words like "might have", "could have" and "maybe"

Fly free sweet Callie and land softly.....Send your mama a sign that you're at the bridge, happy and whole and waiting for the day when you'll be reunited and be together forever cat_wings>o

86. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Glennie, I am so sorry to read this. I know your grief is immense and we would all love to whisk the burden of "what if" out of your mind and away from your heart. I didn't know until now Callie was so sick because I was preoccupied with Uncle.
    Thinking of you and your family and sending many many hugs :bighug:

Girlie's mom likes this.
  87. Glennie

Glennie Member

Tricia, I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner to your kind words. It's been too hard. I did make many mistakes, but it is what it is at this point. I'm thankful I had her for the 9 years I did. Having her love was really special. I'll always miss her.

I do understand what you said about not prolonging their suffering. It's so hard to know what to do when our beloved furbabies are sick. We inadvertently did that with our dog. We tried over a terrible weekend, and we thought she was doing better, but at the end we had to go ahead and get her put to sleep. It was awful.

She was very loved--you're right. And thanks again for your support and encouragement. It means a lot. Hugs!

88. Glennie

Glennie Member

Julie, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm second guessing my whole stupid week. She did know she was loved though. She never had to guess about that. Thank you so much for your condolences. I appreciate your sympathy and wish for peace. Hugs to you!

89. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you for your comforting words. I know that Callie loved me as much as I loved her. I appreciate your condolences. I am so sorry for your loss of Yum's mother. I'm sure it was hard for Yum to adjust, but I'm glad her death was easier. It's all just so hard. Hugs!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  90. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Darrah. I appreciate your kind words and your sympathy. I'll try to write a tribute to her someday when I can so everyone can know how special she was. Hugs to you!

91. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Susan. Isn't that the truth?! There doesn't seem to be a right time. I appreciate your wishes of comfort and serenity and love for that Callie girl. Hugs!

92. Glennie

Glennie Member

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  93. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Ella. I will try to hold onto that vision of her waiting for me. I appreciate you taking the time to send your condolences. Hugs!

94. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you, Chris, for your good wishes. I'll try to make that list later when I can. Your last sentence is really sweet. Thank you! Hugs!

95. Glennie

Glennie Member

Barbara, I didn't know about you losing Uncle this past weekend. I am so sorry for his loss. Same thing here--so caught up with Callie I didn't know about Uncle. I think we cross-posted. Please know I am thinking of you and praying for you. I wish someone could whisk the what if's out also, but I'll have to deal with them, and I will. Sending hugs and thoughts back to you. Thank you so much for sending condolences to me in the midst of your own pain and hurt. Hugs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.