9/20 Wiley AMPS 111 (+23.50), PMPS 88

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by WileyWonderCat, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Yesterday

Starting in low blues again- after no shot last night. I'm going to reduce to .25 since I cannot test at all today until +10. Also his appetite is still bad, but his civvie brother would be more that happy to eat all of the food I leave out today. :(

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Just read through the rest of yesterdays post, the symptoms you describe (increased thirst/ increased urine output/ inappetance) can all be associated with CKD.
    When was the last time he had some labs done??
    If his Phosphorus is up as far as I understand that can lead to inappetance, and may be that you need to consider a Phosphorus binder, of course you would need up to date BW and discuss this with your vet.

sending vines for Wiley:bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

He had labs done on 8/30/16. That was primarily because I thought the diabetes had returned. When the vet called with results, he stated that the fructosamine indicated elevated BG, and his BG at the time of test had been over 500. So the vet was concerned with getting him back on insulin. But the vet also mentioned that Wiley's BUN level was high but that the creatinine level "wasn't too bad", so he wanted to focus on the diabetes right away and then look at CKD a bit later.

So since his BG seems to have come down a lot (normal levels, albeit with small insulin doses), but symptoms haven't improved I just wonder if its CKD or perhaps something else (thyroid?) that's the culprit. He is going back tomorrow for another blood panel and fructosamine. I'm also going to get copies of all labs that were done previously.

His inappetance makes it difficult to feed him low phos foods. I've tried many on the 10%carb/1%phos list, but he wouldn't eat most of them. I bought this large variety pack of Weruva and he won't touch it. :banghead: At this point, I'm still feeding him mostly Wellness wet food, but trying to stick to ones that are around 1-1.5% phos or lower where possible. I'll definitely talk to the vet about a phos binder if we do decide that CKD needs attention.

Thanks for the vines! :bighug:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Good Plan, there's a tab where you can load up the BW, there are some members here that are very good at reading the labs and can help you ask the right questions from the vet.

eg my vet told me BW was normal, but I noted that Creatinine and BUN were elevated, so I posed the question here, turned out wasn't normal at all, but indicative of IRIS stage 2 CKD. I then discussed it further with vet and she agreed values were off, but he didn't need any treatment yet and we should watch, I think for her no treatment required= tell CG all ok (knowing that there was kidney issues and though BFG is asymptomatic, has meant that we have been able to be proactiv, I feed <1%P, being in europe we have a different selection of fuds, so far we have been successful with that)

Getting the thyroid test would be a good idea, and I would also get the idexx SDMA test done if you are able to as that is more sensitive for CKD.
    I got that done as part of a full geriatric panel for George, from the idexx lab.

5. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

PMPS of 88. I haven't been able to gather numbers after PM shot yet, so I'm not sure if I should shoot .25 u again, like this morning? He will get some food at +2 (and I could test at that time too).

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you going to be able to test tonight?

I think I'd just skip it though....you don't have enough data to shoot that low

And I'd start only shooting .25 for now (and hold it there) to see if we can get 2 pre-shot numbers that are safe to shoot.....since he'd been on .5 (and .75) for the last several days, his depot could need to drain some more

7. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Thanks Chris. I didn't shoot last night either and he was at 111 this morning. I reduced his dose this morning to .25 but not sure how he did since I had to be at work all day. I'm hoping I can get some numbers tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.