9/21 Elmo AMPS 239, + 3 168,+4. 5 105,+6 60, +7 71, +9.5 81 PMPS 115,+1 223 , + 3 171

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beth 73, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good morning :) First full night of sleep in 48 hours :p is a VERY good thing '! Window duty completed and eating well for Elmo . Sending hope and prayers to all who are in need :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hope you are feeling a little rejuvenated after a good night's sleep.

What a lovely start to the day. Elmo is definitely coming out of bounces much quicker now. Now if he'd just tone down how far he bounces......:D

Beth 73 likes this.
  3. Beth 73

Feeling wonderful , Linda :) Wondering if I need to snag a +1 or wait for +2 ???? He has eaten well this morning for the grazer that he is :cat: Hope you have caught up on your sleep as well after your part in his overnight binge Wednesday night:bighug:

4. Beth 73

Going to be switching meters as soon as finish the strips I have for Relion Confirm .....I have a Relion Prime but want input as to which meter would be good ...only stipulation is that I can get strips at Wal Mart...have been ordering Confirm strips from ADW but want an easier , less stress of running by WM and getting what's needed ...any thots/ advice appreciated :)

5. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Beth, have you checked the difference in blood drop size? That would be the only thing I'd check. The Relion Prime is so affordable - just 9 dollars for 50 strips, or 10 for two boxes of 25, since they don't always have the 50 stocked.

Beth 73 likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

How about snagging a +1 given Elmo has dropped down considerably from last night? Catch him early if he is planning on any shenanigans today.:p

Can't help with the meter question except Tina brings up a good point....I think the Prime takes a bigger blood sample than the Confirm (0.5uL Prime vs 0.3uL Confirm) and I've seen a lot more reports of testing errors on the Prime I'm guessing due to too small a sample. Not much of a bargain if you are throwing out strips.

7. Beth 73

+1 ...282

8. Beth 73

Yes , ive been practicing with the Prime and it doesn't seem to take that much more blood . He is a very good bleeder ( that sounds gross and vampire ish:woot:)

LizzieInTexas and Suzanne Burton like this.
  9. Beth 73

I have used a Confirm since Elmo was diagnosed in 2016 but now have to order strips . Was no big deal when in remission but now I need easy access to strips ...I can get strips for the Prime at our local WM ....just wanting opinions on the Prime ...would make things easier when need more strips

10. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Great start Elmo! Now do a slow downward slide:joyful: for momma.

Beth 73 likes this.
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's a nice little food bump. I'd give him a break and check him at +3.

Beth 73 and Suzanne Burton like this.
  12. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

That's great! I've been singing, I'm coming to get your blood . . .

I use the Prime for myself and love it. Very reliable.
    May eventually use for Tina. I've been staying with the AlphaTrac for some odd reasons.

Beth 73 likes this.
  13. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

I have a Confirm for a backup meter, but I use the Prime as my main meter. It doesn't take that much more blood and the strips are cheap.

Beth 73 likes this.
  14. Beth 73

Thanks , Jill :) Gives me peace that I can easily get more strips without ordering ...one less thing to do .

Jill & Scooter likes this.
  15. Beth 73

I started with AT when first diagnosed but quickly changed to Relion products . Long as what I use is reliable and ease of purchase ...thanks for input , Jan :bighug:

16. Beth 73

Yes yes yes !!! Thanks , Suzanne :bighug:

17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Ollie isn't a good bleeder and would rather run head on meter than keep still. The Prime is a bigger drop so would not work for us. I use Nova Max but strips can be temperamental. How I miss my relion micro.

Beth 73 likes this.
  18. Beth 73

Thanks, Paula . Yep , my Confirm is a comfy place for me thru these 3 years, saw us thru remission . Wish they wouldn't discontinue things, but it is what it is :cat:

19. Beth 73

20. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Definitely needs some kind of snack here. What did you give him at +2 on the night of 9/18, when he went PMPS 239, +2 174, +3 42? Whatever that amount of carbs was, bump it up a touch more and see what he does with it.

Different situation today, depot still filling, but might as well use the information we already have, right?

Beth 73 likes this.
  21. Nan & Amber (GA)

Just to be 100% clear on my thinking, I went back and forth on this because I hate to keep going to the carbs as much as we do with Elmo. For many reasons, including his tummy gurgling. So for now, just a smidge more than you did before-- let's try not to overload him on this cycle if we can.

Beth 73 likes this.
  22. Beth 73

Thanks Nan ...you and Linda really have an awesome grasp of him and how he rolls ❤️ Just gave 1 t 5 LC plus skinny 1/4 14 MC gravy. When test again ? Test in 30 or hour ??

23. Nan & Amber (GA)

Given that drop, I'd test again at +4 [corrected from original post]. Hopefully, between the re-filling depot and the lower dose, he's not planning anything other than a nice gentle slide, but again, we only have his history to go by, so let's keep a close eye on him for now!

Beth 73 likes this.
  24. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I checked the forum very late last night after I finished working and my name was the only one on. A good night all round (except for yours truly).

Beth 73 likes this.
  25. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Crazy how quickly one can forget how great a good nights sleep feels :eek:

26. Beth 73

"His history ".... more like crazy train !!!! Thanks Nan !!:bighug::bighug::bighug:❤️

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  27. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like a gentler slide today. Anxious to see where he's at next test. :)

Beth 73 likes this.
  28. Beth 73

So would rather be squeezing gravy out of a can of cat food during the day than in middle of the night !!!!

29. Beth 73

Fed him at 11:15( 11:30 would be +4) ...only 15 minutes ago ...should I wait until + 5 to give food an hour to work on him ?

30. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Do add this skill to your resume.

Beth 73 likes this.
  31. Beth 73

:joyful: :joyful: :joyful: :joyful: :woot: :woot: :woot:

32. Beth 73

Going to split the difference and check at + 4.5

33. Beth 73

+ 4.5 ( one hour since LCMC mix given) 105

34. Beth 73

35. Nan & Amber (GA)

Sounds good. Time to slow down Elmo-- dark greens would be lovely today, but that's as far as you go, you hear?

Beth 73 likes this.
  36. Beth 73

Next test ?? Decided to increase amount of LC and leave off MC this time

37. Nan & Amber (GA)

How about +6? Earlier if he starts nosing around for food, looking hungry.

Beth 73 likes this.
  38. Beth 73

What is considered a nice slow drop ? Since Elmo has not done those very often I am unclear . I know 100+ is intervene time with LCMC with him but when do you intervene when less than 100 with just bigger LC snack minus the MC ?? Inquiring minds and all that :)

39. Beth 73

Got it !!! Thanks , Guardian Nan of New York :bighug:

40. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Excellent numbers today! So happy to see several tests...looks like he's doing better today - yeah!!!

As for meters - I used the Relion Confirm until Walmart stopped carrying; tried several others - subscribed to the OneDrop meters since they will ship unlimited strips for free - I pay $50 for unlimited and I order 300 strips at a time: however they now have only the $150 for 3 month option - https://onedrop.today/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6LmZtrvi5AIVFsRkCh0F3wi2EAAYAiAAEgKygPD_BwE

I love the program and the drop required is the same size as I was getting with the Confirm - small :)

Beth 73 likes this.
  41. Beth 73

Thanks , Sue :) Think I'm going to try the Prime , start using it as I finish up Confirm . Familiarity sure is comforting tho ;) Will keep the One Drop in mind ...good to hear from a former Confirm user

42. Beth 73

43. Nan & Amber (GA)

Oh, there's our Elmo!

Keep in mind: this is still a safe number. It's where you want him to be, eventually-- just maybe getting there a little slower, so we don't worry so much about overshoot into shark territory!

Beth 73 likes this.
  44. Beth 73

Thanks Nan.....next test ? Give a bit more MC to slow him ???

45. Nan & Amber (GA)

Also: much less worrying when he's hitting these nice green numbers around nadir time, rather than zooming down at +2, +3 just as the current shot is starting to take effect.

He's learning!

Beth 73 likes this.
  46. Nan & Amber (GA)

Try +7, again, unless he start acting hungry, etc.

Beth 73 likes this.
  47. Beth 73

Thanks , Angel Nan :bighug:

48. Beth 73

Nan , when would you say his nadir is this far ? +7 ? + 8 ?? Do these numbers surprise you considering it's smaller dose and depot is empty ??

49. MrWorfMen's Mom

Wow! Elmo is definitely on a mission. Depot isn't empty, just drained off a bit. Looks like he may be shooting for yet another reduction. Nadir definitely seems to be around +7/8 most cycles. Nothing Elmo does surprises me anymore.

Beth 73 and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  50. Nan & Amber (GA)

Beth, am I right in thinking that Elmo has been much better about eating on his own recently? When would you say he started to turn that around? I'm just wondering if he's been feeling better lately, calming his numbers a little bit.

Beth 73 likes this.
  51. Beth 73

I would say in last week for sure he is coming on his often frequently thru the day . Due to a piggy civvie I can't leave food down so I'm aware of when he wants fed.

52. Beth 73

:joyful: :joyful: :joyful: Am I wrong, Linda, or is this what he did on vetsulin? He careens rather than flows :eek: :woot:

53. Beth 73

And all I wanted to do today is clean our daughters closet while Tuffy( aka Basement kitty) is up there " helping. We have two " spare" kitties ...one is currently in family room in basement ( Tuffy...DH Name for her) and a bedroom kitty (Boo ). For now we keep them separate from the old boys ..especially since Elmo and civvie Chris rile easily and are in compromised health situations . Stress not needed. We are ab out of rooms in which to store spare kitties :woot:

54. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for getting a good night's sleep. Nice slide for Elmo today. That's much better than those crazy dives he's been doing. I hope he's surfing safely by your next test. I love that you have "spare" kitties.

55. Beth 73

:joyful: :joyful: Thanks , Carla :bighug: Both are little females found as kittens . Tuffy wormed her way into DH heart when a property he bought she was the only kitten to live from a litter in a barn . Every time he came she would follow him . And Boo was left as a tiny kitten by her momma under our deck . When it became apparent she had been abandoned we took her in .....all this from a man who said he didn't like indoor animals not long before we married :eek: That was 40 years ago and here we are with " spare kitties":bighug:

56. Beth 73

+ 7.....71. @carfurby Im practicing with the Prime each time instead of going cold turkey ...appreciate your wisdom ab pick a new meter and stick with it ...this time numbers were close ..78 on Prime ...

57. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes I feel like I am having a bit of deja vu! :rolleyes:

Beth 73 likes this.
  58. Beth 73

Thots on next test ?!!

59. Beth 73

:eek: :joyful: :eek: :joyful: :joyful: :D :smuggrin: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

60. Suzanne Burton

Elmo, look at you! Working on another reducie already:woot:.

Beth 73 likes this.
  61. Beth 73

What would we do without this Board, Suzanne? :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: All the dedication and time so freely and lovingly given :bighug: It can bring me to tears :bighug: And this is precious Linda's second rodeo with us ❤️

62. Nan & Amber (GA)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  63. Beth 73

+ 9.5 ...81 ...ate a good amount on his own after.....thots? Comments? Salutations ? I get quite sassy after a full nights sleep :eek: Really got into cleaning out that closet !!!! So sad that it's so invigorating to shuffle thru ones stuff:)

64. MrWorfMen's Mom

animal-graphics-cats-395123.gif Seems to me Elmo's got his BG right where you want it! BTW the mouse's name is BG! :woot:

65. Beth 73

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

66. Beth 73

67. MrWorfMen's Mom

If you haven't fed Elmo yet don't. Retest him in 30 minutes without food to see if his BG is rising on it's own.

68. Beth 73

Started to eat a little ..... took it away ....will test in 30 ....getting stink eye

69. Suzanne Burton

Ha, Ha - I'd like to see that stink eye:smuggrin:! Probably similar to LTs when I'd stall his meals.

Beth 73 likes this.
  70. Beth 73

71. Beth 73

Go ahead and shoot?..? ....definitely a food bump...

72. Beth 73

73. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok he's over 150 and rising (as long as that isn't just an exceptionally hungry ticked off cat) which means you should be able to shoot his regular dose of 1.25u. Usually the lower you shoot the more stable the numbers. That said, no one can give you guarantees that he won't be up his shenanigans yet again. Are you up for a PJ party if the need should arise?

74. Beth 73

What is best for him ?...

75. Beth 73

I can pj if needed.....this cat !

76. Beth 73

So good ahead and shoot and he’ll be safe .....no potential hypos ?

77. MrWorfMen's Mom

Keeping the momentum going is best but you factor into this too and he has been putting you through your paces lately so if you'd rather, you can always give him a smaller dose tonight to hopefully keep the dramatics to a dull roar.

78. Beth 73

I am in no rush to get back to remission

79. Beth 73

What would be smaller dose ?

80. Beth 73

Nope let’s go for 1.25.....remind me I chose this

81. MrWorfMen's Mom

You are definitely a trooper Beth! Seriously, reduce him down to 1u if you feel better about it.

82. Beth 73

Shot a shaved 1.25...... when should I test next ?

83. MrWorfMen's Mom

Let's do a +1 and see what he's up to and intervene early if need be. ;)

Suzanne Burton and Beth 73 like this.
  84. Nan & Amber (GA)

:woot: :woot: :woot:

Beth, you and Elmo are firing on all cylinders now!

[Elmo: behave!]

85. Beth 73

:woot:I’ll watch the Notre Dame /Georgia game ..... that’ll keep things calm :woot:

86. Beth 73

+1. 223

87. MrWorfMen's Mom

Well that seems to be a good food bump & more. Retest at +3 and feed or give meds as you normally would with LC only.

Beth 73 likes this.
  88. Beth 73

Yes, Auntie Linda :bighug: I literally held my breath as the meter was tabulating :woot:

89. MrWorfMen's Mom

Believe me....that breath holding never stops! :woot:

Beth 73 likes this.
  90. Beth 73

Truth ! Did it for all of remission :rolleyes:

91. Beth 73

+3.....171....can we all go to sleep ??? Or one more check ??? Thank goodness no deep dives :cat: Also making tentative plan for tomorrow morning as we will be gone right after shot time until +5.... shall see what tomorrow morning brings

92. MrWorfMen's Mom

I don't think he's got any deep dives planned. Feed him and head off to bed. Leave a snack out for him for later.

Beth 73 likes this.
  93. MrWorfMen's Mom

Agreed. Planning ahead with Elmo is a bit of a gamble.
    Sweet dreams! :D

Beth 73 likes this.
  94. Beth 73

Sweet dreams to you , Auntie Linda :bighug:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.