9/21 Figaro AMPS 392 - anyone experienced frozen lantus before?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Figaro's Liz, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Yesterday

Lying in bed after this morning's routine, thinking WTH with these pinks o_O, I started to wonder about this lantus pen I just started to use a few days ago.

Right after I bought it, I put it in the fullsize household fridge, thinking it would be more stable than in my mini fridge in the upstairs space where Fig and I live (I have a fridge thermometer right next to the insulin at all times...). Well wouldn't you know, someone turned the temp down in the big fridge and some vegetables froze. I moved the pen upstairs after that. No visible signs that the insulin is bad.

But these flat pinks are throwing me. They are weird, and unlike his past patterns. Maybe he needs more insulin or I am just seeing NDW at the moment. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to share.

There isn't a lot of info online about what frozen/thawed insulin looks like or how it acts, even in people, but what I have found suggests frozen insulin will still work, but not quite the same.

I still have his previous vial so I'm going to switch back to that tonight, at his current dose, and see if it helps.

Oh, and. My pharmacy is out of Lantus! On the phone I was like :eek: "what!?" I couldn't believe they would run out. Apparently they had a "run" for it this week. Odd! Hope people in my small town aren't having trouble getting the insulin they need.

2. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Live cuteness update!
    20190921_112158.jpg

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh Figaro! That is live cuteness Liz, give fuzzy belly a rub for me.

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  4. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Oh, I just love soft fuzzy tummys!!!

Sorry, I don't know anything about frozen Lantus.

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  5. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

:cat: thanks Lou! (Says Fig)

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It is a good idea to switch to your old vial (as long as it did not freeze as well) to compare. It could very well be that the frozen vial has lost its efficacy.

From what I've read, the Lantus protein breaks down after being frozen and forms clumps. Look closely for tiny clumps in the vial and also look for clouding. The Lantus liquid should be completely clear.

I hope your pharmacy gets more Lantus soon. It is cheaper to order from Canada, btw.

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  7. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

I don't know for sure that it did actually freeze (if I did, I definitely wouldn't use it) so this one of those "hmm, what if..?" moments. I can't see any clouding or clumping, really the only thing off is his numbers and knowing that the pen was in a very cold fridge at some point. I have read about people noticing their insulin has lost efficacy but I'm not sure what indicates that... just higher numbers than usual?

Thank you for the point about Canada. I am lucky to have pet insurance and they cover US pharmacy purchases only.. I asked to be sure :)

8. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Liz, I would go back to the other vial, but I only have experience with heat ruining insulin.
    I wish your pharmacy wasn't out of Lantus, that's rotten!
    Figaro doesn't look too worried about anything. Please rub his belly for me too! Him is so gorgeous:cat:
    And losing efficacy means it might work, but not nearly as well as it should.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Usually you'd get wonky numbers. Sometimes cats just have flat pinks and then their numbers come back down. I hope Figaro comes back down soon. Love the picture.

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Unless you know for sure that the Lantus is bad, I doubt that it's the cause of those pinks...he's had a number of pinks before...give the increase a chance to build up the depot...it will take a few cycles before anything will happen...let's wait and see...

I know this patience game is maddening...but I've seen so many folks want to blame the Lantus for being bad, when in 99.9% of the cases it's just our cats, being diabetic cats...try to give him a chance on the new dose to see if there will be some better numbers mid-cycle...hang in there.

Adorable cuteness pic!