9/21 Radar - a long overdue update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan Radar (GA), Sep 21, 2019.

1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

My last post was many many months ago so an update seems to be in order...

Radar has continued to improve his quality of life in the months that have passed since he got a new vet and had major dental work done. (In case you'd like to know the history... Here's the post where I talk about the situation which caused me to look for another vet.) We are so happy to see that he feels good most of the time, doesn't hide under the bed as much and enjoys vigorous play sessions with his favorite catnip mouse.

Our new vet is awesome and with her excellent guidance and care we don't feel like we have to figure everything out on our own. She loves our color coded spreadsheet and consults it often for information she can use to help our little one. My favorite thing about her is that she is a great listener and relies on my observations of Radar at home to inform her care of him. :joyful:

In the last week Radar has had an episode of colonitis with constipation, feeling quite poorly and an inability to eat on his own. We've done a LOT of syringe feeding and talked with the vet many times in recent days. He's finally feeling better. Last night he was able to eat his dinner on his own and today he's eaten everything we've given him. I decided to lower his insulin dose again last night for his safety. I figure the dose can always go back up if needed. Lately he is wanting to eat more and more raw food. I think he knows that raw is better for his system. :cat: But of course my problem is that his insulin dose is pretty high and the raw food has very few carbs for the insulin to work on. I'm so worried :nailbiting: that he'll go too low when I'm unable to monitor him. I'd much rather have him too high than too low. But I want to walk that line very carefully because I don't want to make him sick because of not enough insulin. So my plan at the moment is to monitor carefully and see what he does next.

In other news, my sister's diabetic cat, Lovie has come out of remission so I'm trying to help her learn the routines and moves of the sugar dance from 3 time zones away.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jan. I'm glad you like the new vet and Radar is getting over the colonitis. I'm sorry to hear about Lovie. I hope you can help your sister get back on track with things. Sending prayers.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's great to hear Radar had generally been doing well. Had you considered adding s bit of probiotic to his food? Gizmo has IBD and he gets 1/4 of a ReNew Ultimate capsule daily.

4. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, He gets probiotics daily - 1/2 capsule in morning and other half in evening - along with a bit of pumpkin. Radar is taking the same one as your Gizmo. Maybe I'm giving too much at a time? How did you decide how much to give Gizmo?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good to hear a Radar update. Neko, and many acrocats here ate raw food and have much higher doses. Not to worry about that. Just stock a good supply of canned medium and high carb foods, should you need it.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I used more of the probiotic when his symptoms were acute. I tapered it back to a maintenance dose. There's really good info about supplements on the Raw Feeding for IBD Cats site.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Nice to see you and Radar and so glad that you like your new vet. A good listener is so important as we the parents Know Thy Cat.

I so agree that the raw is best for the any GI issues for him. And I think that without any irritants that some can food puts into their formulas like gums and carrageen, that in the absence of those things the raw helps with inflammation and without inflammation BG numbers come down.

I hope he continues to feel better! :bighug: