9/25 China AMPS 102,+3 83,+9 96, PMPS 122,+4 112 Food question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & China (GA), Sep 25, 2018.

1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Another day, and a little more improvement I think!!…..she is able to jump up on the couch and yell at me when she's hungry and she's eating like a horse!

Which brings up the question about food.....since she's starting to look/act better, I guess I should get back to working on other things, like her weight and kidneys. First of all, I'm looking for a food that she'll eat that might be low calorie, but very filling so I can get some of the excess weight off. It can't be helping her legs to be trying to lift up all the extra weight she's carrying.

She only likes pate's so that's another consideration. So many of the better foods aren't pates. Is it Weruva that's low calorie?

If I could find a perfect food, it'd be low calorie, pate and low phosphorus....and she'd like it!! I do have some aluminum hydroxide now so I can use that with her favorite Fancy Feasts, but I'd really like to find something else that's lower calorie. Want to "fill her up" without so many extra calories.

Thanks to everybody that's been concerned about my China.....I appreciate it more than you know!!

Yo Kitties!! LagoonMeisterin China here!!….WOW...dat was a great pawty last night!! I iz still recuperating, so had to skip all da dancing, but I had a gud time on da tasting blankies with all my friends who visited me and bringed me lots of yummy fuds!! I hopes to be 100% for da next pawty!!….How about somebody go OTJ soon? I don't wants to wait for da next Full Moon!! ~ China

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Yay! Goooo, China! Those numbers are looking better, too. :D

Some of Weruva's are lower calorie than FF, but they aren't pates. Mostly fish in juice. Looking at the list on Tanya's site, some of the Soulistics are low in all three, too, but again, fish in sauce or gel.

3. Chris & China (GA)

yeah, that's what I thought I remembered.....I might get a few cans and give it a try (again) and see if there's any chance her tastes have changed since the last time I tried

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Much better to hear your doing better.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could put the food in a food processor to make them pate if then she would eat it.

Weruva posts everything g on their site including carbs and phosphorus.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  7. Chris & China (GA)

I forgot that....Thanks!!

8. Chris & China (GA)

9. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Chris, Food Fur Life will send you a sample of their EZ Complete. Not a pate but, worth a try? ... I’m just sayin’ *free sample?
    Sooo hApPy China is coming around :):cat:

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

11. tiffmaxee

Also look on tanyascrf food list. Dr. Lisa’s is older I think.

You are looking for 200 phos as the goal but it’s hard to find low carb.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad China is doing better and wanting to eat. I hope you can find some food that works.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Rusty really liked the Weruva Paw-Lickin' Chicken. He didn't do well with the shredded texture (because he had so few teeth), but he loved the taste and the broth. I chopped up the shreds into tiny pieces. Those new Weruva patés look interesting.

So glad the LagoonMeisterin is eating again like her old self. Soon she'll be hosting those fabulous hotdog cookouts on the beach.

Hugs and scritches

14. Chris & China (GA)

I have one sitting here....I got the sample a few days before China's dental and then all he** broke loose and I forgot about it.

I finally put her back on RadCat today (she'd eaten it before the dental but with a sore mouth, I've been sticking with pate's) so she can eat something with a little "texture"....if she wants to bad enough

15. Chris & China (GA)

16. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

if she wants to bad enough yup
    I thought you fed her Rad Cat?
    and... may the force be with you:bighug:
    Ni ni. Very close to signing off.

17. tiffmaxee

Chris, Rad Cat says all their food is .9% or less phosphorus. That should be fine. They use eggshell instead of bone which is higher phosphorus.

http://www.radfood.com/education/faq

18. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, the RadCat is fine....but I can't afford to feed only RadCat…..Before she got sick, she ate RadCat at Pre-shot meals, and FF in between

It kind of surprises me that her phosphorus was as high as it was last time we had bloodwork drawn since she does eat about 1/2 and 1/2. I was hoping that would keep her P down but I guess there's no fighting the effects of aging on the kidneys

19. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Our kittehs like the different Weruva cans. We don't buy them as much since they are more expensive.

Glad to hear that China has some incremental improvement.

20. tiffmaxee

Rad Cat is expensive. What about buying chicken and cutting it up and using EZ Complete? It uses egg shell as well and thighs are pretty cheap.

21. Chris & China (GA)

I was just to the point of trying my sample when all he** broke loose.....I need to try to remember to get some chicken the next time I go to the store and see how it goes

22. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Keep it up, China! So glad to hear she is continuing to improve :joyful:

23. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

24. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

How 'Fluffy' is she?
    I remember reading somewhere on the CKD site not to get to hung up on them loosing weight, I'll see if I can find it for you.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  25. Gill & George

here you go, from https://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional_requirements.htm
    Weight and Muscle
    Maintaining weight and muscle is extremely important. Anorexic cats (cats who have stopped eating) and cachexic cats (cats who have lost a lot of muscle) have a worse prognosis than cats of a normal weight, so it is essential to monitor your cat's weight and body condition closely, and above all to keep your cat eating.
    Staged management of chronic kidney disease in dogs and cats (2009) Polzin D Presentation to the World Small Animal Veterinary Association World Congress says: "Ideally patients should consume sufficient calories from an appropriate diet to maintain a body condition score of 4 to 5/9. Increased efforts are indicated to assure sufficient calorie intake for patients with body condition scores of 3/9 or lower or when patients fail to consume adequate calories to maintain a stable, appropriate body weight."
    The World Small Animal Veterinary Association has a body condition diagram showing how to gauge your cat's physical condition, as does Purina.
    If you are lucky enough to have an slightly overweight CKD cat, rejoice, and personally I would not put him or her on a diet, because as the CKD progresses, your cat will almost certainly lose weight anyway.

BFG, is still a little fluffy, (don't tell everyone), but I just keep him stable at this weight now, which of course he is very happy about.

26. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I posted about Wuruva's Pate on the main forum (08/28). I had emailed them about carb count, phos level on the new pates. I think it will be on the shelves in November(?). Petco now carries Wuruva (yay).

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ing-food-offerings-nutritional-values.201762/

You can look at Gizmo's SS "food" tab. I have several listed along with carb/cal/phos and cost listed. Currently Gizmo is eating Whole Earth Duck and ZiwiPeak Venison.

I add AlOH but still try and keep food phos as low as possible (very difficult to find anything he likes). I try and keep it ~250 (I think 200 is the "target"). You can also mix two together (higher phos with lower phos) and it will bring the total down a bit.

Gizmo used to eat shreds with no issues but after a bad panc flare is now turned off by it. W Fowl Ball was his go-to. He ate it for almost 18 months. It is lower calorie, low phos, low carb. After he was turned off by the shreds I got by with using an immersion blender (a small food processor works too - just messier) to puree it and that worked for a while. He also really liked Soulistic (Petco brand) - they offer a pate/shreds mixture that you might try (shreds are smallish).

27. LizzieInTexas

I am trying to do the same with Gizmo. He isn't overweight but don't want him to gain or lose any. I know he has arthritis in his hind legs and am afraid that more weight will exasperate his pain.

Gill & George likes this.
  28. Gill & George

It's a balance when they have other health issues, we want to keep good quality of life, George still moves well for an old boy, gives the young civies a run for their money every day, usually when it's getting close to supper time and he wants the bean to get up of the comfy chair and come feed him:rolleyes:, so it doesn't look like arthritis is an issue, if it was I might try to get him to loose some of that excess fluff and get him to a normal weight, but as he's BG is normal (75 yesterday) and he seems happy I decided to just monitor for the time being.

I know that Chris like me has battled with excess fluff with our lazy kitties:rolleyes:

29. LizzieInTexas

For the most part Gizmo does too. Slower up the stairs than down and sometimes slow to lay down. Still jumps up on bed and dressers with no issues. Hard for me to tell where the pain is but vet has said he has arthritis.

Gill & George likes this.
  30. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you want to use raw chicken and China likes pate, I'd put it in the food processor. It will make it into a paste. I would definitely add water to the chicken since otherwise, it will be too stiff.

It's great to hear that she's eating.

31. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was going to say, or a magic bullet works really well too.

32. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Not sure whether this has already been shared but here is a screen print of Weruva's new pate line. Weruva Pate Info.png

33. Chris & China (GA)

I called the "boutique" pet food store where I get her RadCat…..they have all the flavors of the new Weruva pates (in the pouches) already!!

Now I just have to find time to drive all the way to Columbia to get it

Edited to add....Looks like they have it on Petco's website too....I'll have to call and see if it's on the shelves at the nearest one to me (still 50 miles away)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    JeffJ likes this.
  34. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

Yes but how do you read the info? Metabolizable energy vs As fed percentage vs Dry matter basis have all very different numbers for the carbs . . . . which one matters?

35. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi. Do you realize your replying to a thread from last year?
    I was confused when I saw this & Chris probably was too.
    Funny thing though....i looked at your name & it says your from South Hadley, Mass.
    Your so near me!!! I am in the north side of Westfield. So if you need any help or want to meet to chat just inbox me.

36. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

37. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

lets take this chat to a new post.
    Post your question itself & tag me.
    I just printed this out for my cat. I will go get it.