? 9/4/2018 PHOEBES AMPS 169 +3 77 Pmps 80 probiotic Florastar question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Phoebes (GA), Sep 4, 2018.

1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Beth 73 and PussCatPrince - GA like this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There is a great website for Raw Feeding for IBD Cats. Even if you opt to not use a raw diet, their materials on probiotics and supplements are pretty wonderful. This is the link to their info on probiotics and supplements. The group also has a Facebook page. Since you've already bought the Florastar, you might want to post a note on their FB page and ask about that particular probiotic.

A general probiotic is good for Phoebe's IBD. However, if you are trying to address the liqui-poo, try S. boulardii. It is specific for diarrhea. Both Marje and I have had success with it and the IBD cat group recommends it.

3. Phoebes (GA)

Marje said this was the same thing as the s. Boulardi that's why I bought it. Thank you. So what would be the directions for the s. Boulardi starting out?

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't use that brand so I am not sure on the dosage...I use 1/4 tab twice a day for Jones.

Poop vines for Phoebes.

And yes, the poop can be related to the chemo. It is excreted through the kidneys (urine) but the point of chemo is to kill any fast growing cell, which includes saliva glands and cells in the digestive tract. Diarrhea and constipation or common side affects of chemo treatments.

This is from the IBDkitty.net site.

For S boulardii: this is usually sold in capsules of 5 billion CFU (250mg). Target ½ capsule 2x a day, for a total of 5 billion CFU. If you see improvement at this dose, but not resolution of diarrhea, you can go as high as three capsules daily (15 billion CFU). This should be used for at least a few weeks if not a month before starting to slowly scale it back to a maintenance dose.

EMERGENCY “STOP DIARRHEA” DOSING INSTRUCTIONS

Jarrow Brand S. Boulardii is the most commonly locally available S. Boulardii supplement (in the U.S.). It is usually sold as S. Boulardii + MOS. “MOS” are mannan-oligosaccharides, a medium that promotes utilization of the probiotic in the intestines. It seems the MOS makes the product bitter, as most kitties will eat “plain” S. boulardii (Nutricology, A.O.R. and Renew Life brands listed here) when sprinkled on or mixed into foods – but not the S. Boulardii with MOS. This is not to say this product cannot be used, it can, but it usually needs to be syringed or pilled into the cat. If you can find an S. boulardii supplement at 5 billion CFU without MOS (there are plenty of other brand options, at least online), you may find it easier to use if your cat is not inappetent. Jarrow does have a product available in premeasured packets rather than capsules. If available, these packets will make it a little easier to use for emergency treatment if you have or can purchase small (size 3) empty capsules. Some cats eat the Jarrow S boulardii mixed into a bit of Beechnut baby food and fed as a “treat.”

For emergency “stop diarrhea” use, it is recommended to purchase size 3 empty capsules. Fill 10 or so of these, and administer them to your cat every 2 hours. This often stops diarrhea within 24 – 48 hours, other than when diarrhea is caused by another disease that requires treatment (low B12, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, hyperthyroidism, as examples). This “loading dose” can be continued for three to four days if necessary. It is NOT necessary to use this approach, it can be given at “therapeutic” doses twice a day (and doubled if you see improvement in stool but diarrhea or soft cow patty stools have not resolved).

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Diarrhea is not likely from the chlorambucil. Not something seen on the SCL group I belong to. Almost everyone ther is also giving a steroid, budesonide or pred, to helpmwith the GI symptoms, until the chemo has had its time to work.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  7. Phoebes (GA)

When we take her in tomorrow I will ask her about the budesonide.

8. Phoebes (GA)

Thank you Tracey

9. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I thinks it is late where you are so I will be in my pit when you take the lovely Phoebes in.

So. All good wishes and best of starry luck for your tomorrow visit to the vet.

I will be hoping and wishing for good news for you both.

M

Beth 73 and Phoebes (GA) like this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Angela. I have had great results with the S. Boulardii . I see that Tracey gave you the guidelines for emergency stop . I have never used the emergency stop instructions as using 1/2 capsule in his food twice a day always did the trick. Then after the diarrhea has stopped you want to continue a maintenance dose of 1/4 capsule twice a day for at least 3 days.

The Florastor brand is expensive , but it can be put right into the food. Jarrow is an S. Boulardii which is a lot cheaper on line but it has something called MOS added and it is bitter tasting and has to be pilled.

11. Phoebes (GA)

Yesss!! But I wanted to get something quick to start. She won't eat it so pillling it too. :banghead: cats!

12. Phoebes (GA)

Thank you M!

13. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Angela, sending prayers upon prayers for Phoebe’s healing and your peace :bighug::bighug::bighug: