9/6 Frosty PMPS 132 (AT)... repeat 130. Never been that low pre-shot. on SLGS. Advice?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Sep 6, 2018.

1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't even know when my previous condo was, I will try my best to find it and post a link, but I haven't posted here in at least 2 weeks and have been mostly responding to Amanda's posts.

Anyway, Frosty surprised me with a PMPS of 132 this evening (on AT). Repeat was 130, so its real. Huh??? :eek:
    I'm going to the gym so I will re-test in 2 hours and maybe shoot then when it's over 150.

Question is, what do I give? Should I give 2 units instead of 2.25? I have no clue if he went low today since I was at work. I watched him on our Nest camera and he was acting fine. Slept most of the day, looked comfortable. Don't have numbers from last week either since we were away. :(

If I do shoot late tonight, I can't shoot late tomorrow morning since I leave work as soon as I give him his shot at 6:30 am. Any advice on tomorrow's shot also appreciated. Not sure if @Wendy&Neko is around this week, but if you are pleas feel free to weigh in ;)

2. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Oh, and he did eat by the way. I can only test him immediately after he eats, otherwise he will flip out. He has really bad anxiety / "steroid psychosis" as I call it, with Cushing's. I haven't been able to test him before his feedings for months.

3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I can just skip the shot all together tonight, that's an option too and maybe give 2 units tomorrow? It says skip shot following SLGS if cat is <150. So I am not sure if I should just skip it all together and start fresh tomorrow.

Question is of course, if I were to do that, do I give a lower dose tomorrow? 2 units? or resume 2.25? Please help :)

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Frosty's last post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-20-frosty-pmps-257-2-160-3-100-4-113-6-117.201419/

Not really around. Out of town on a boat but marina today has wifi. SLGS says not to shoot under 90, reduce the dose if you see an under 90. The no shoot under 150 is for newbie's which you no longer are. Gradually lower that no shoot when you can monitor. 132 isn't much below 150. Next time, and there will be one, shoot if you can monitor.

Since you can't get back on schedule you will have to skip. And go back to 2.25 tomorrow.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  5. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ah, OK! Didn't know.
    I am still home and its only half hour past so I can still shoot. What should I give? 2? 1.5?

6. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I am lucky you guys have wifi!! :)

7. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I ended up giving 2 units 45 minutes late. I didn't feel comfortable giving 2.25 because he has gone hypo on that dose in the past. I'll monitor tonight and see what happens.

8. Wendy&Neko

Start with a +1, to see what direction he is going. Shooting late acts a bit like a decrease. Paws crossed for a safe surf tonight.

Big blow might be starting tonight, so we decided on a marina dock (with showers and wifi too).

9. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Yeah, I know, I screwed everything up. 45 mins later he was at 150 so I just gave the 2 units. So I don’t know what I actually gave. Also, he might have gone low tonight and is on his way to a bounce. So I am honestly expecting sky high sugars tomorrow. But I’ll monitor tonight.

Not sure whether to keep him on 2 until Sunday then do a curve? Or go back up to 2.25. He’s gonna be getting his US on Saturday and he will be NPO in the morning so he will only get 1 unit. So his depot will be messed up either way.

What is big blow?

Stay safe out there! I used to date someone whose family had a boat - we spent many nice vacations sleeping on that thing. Hope you’re enjoying your trip. I was away last week and couldn’t help but stay away from here also haha!

10. Wendy&Neko

Not screwed up. Every cycle is a do over and a chance for an experiment. You will learn something tonight.:bighug: I would go back to 2.25, he wasn't near 90.

Big blow = big wind. Most of the trip has been in sheltered waters between islands, but tomorrow we cross an open body of water.

11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Yeah, I really don’t feel comfortable experimenting on the higher dose side with him and pushing him too much, with him being on vetoryl and me being away at work all day and also having been away last week. despite all my “experience” with Frosty, he has never oven me a pre shot this low over the past 8 months. In fact, it was never under 150 before.

Maybe he was running low last week? or this week once I started drawing up fresh insulin?. Yes, I am going to be interviewing some retired vet techs that will be able to check sugars pre shot and draw up fresh insulin before our next trip, i posted about it on the Next Door ap and got some replies. We will be traveling again this winter if all goes well so i have to prepare well bc we will probably be going out of the country. Our sitter was really good with 3 healthy pets but since we adopted Frosty we just need someone with some medical experience. Nothing against her.

Wind is scary! I remember we were coming back from a 2 week vacation on the boat from Cape May a few years ago and the chop was serious ( I forget how many feet). It was pretty scary, but we had to get back that day or it would be worse and we weren’t gonna make it in a 35 ft boat. Stay safe and enjoy warm showers and good old internet surfing :)