? 9/8 Scooter - Sitter Dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Scooter, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-6-scooter-amps-63-1-101-6-99.202558/

Good Morning L & L,
    It looks like quite a few are up bright and early on a Saturday.
    DH surgery has finally been scheduled for Wednesday 9/12. The hospital is about three hours away and he has to be there at 7:00 AM, so the plan right now is to leave Tuesday after T/F/S and stay the night up there in a hotel. The sitter will come shortly after we leave and will be staying at the house with the fur kids. She will for sure get a PS test and maybe a midday/afternoon test. I really hate to leave my furkids anytime, but Scooter is earning reducies and doing so well. I hate to get off track.

My questions are:
    What dose should I have the sitter give? (Scooter is at 8.5 now and would probably earn a reducie Tues AM)
    Do I need to start the sitter dose sometime before we leave to see what it will do/drain the depot?
    When I get home, do I go right back to his previous dose, or?????

Thanks all!!!

Prayers for all in need!

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the dose, sorry. I can offer prayers and hugs for you and husband.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

We usually suggest starting the sitter dose 2 to 3 cycles early to drain the depot. Maybe start Monday PM. Maybe try 8 units. Don't forget to leave a sample syringe with colored liquid for the sitter to compare the insulin to.

Sending prayers for your DH's surgery.

Beth 73 likes this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Where abouts in Texas are you? There are just a few of us here.

How experienced is your pet sitter? She will be there the entire time you are gone? How many days total will you be away?

5. Jill & Scooter

Thank you Paula!

6. Jill & Scooter

Thank you Carla! I will remember about the syringe!

7. Jill & Scooter

We are in central TX in the little town of Comanche. It’s near Stephenville if that helps any.

My sitter is very experienced in caring for animals. She has given shots to everything from cats up to horses, but she has no experience with a FD kitty.
    She will go back and forth between my house and hers during the day. (She has her own animals to care for), but will sleep at my house.
    The Dr. said 2-3 days in the hospital. I’m hoping we’ll be home Friday, but it could be Saturday.

I would like to have Scooter stay, I think around 100 or a bit higher. I don’t want him spending hours around 50 like he did the other night and the sitter having to be responsible for him. It seems a bit much since she has no FD experience.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  8. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for a safe trip and DH surgery:bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With the size of dose you have, I would drain the dose at least three cycles before you go, if not more. If you do four cycles, it'll give you an idea how Scooter will do on that dose, and whether you need to reduce it more before you go, to meet your nadir objectives. Awesome to have such an experienced pet sitter. Vines for DH's surgery. :bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  10. Jill & Scooter

Thanks Jaime!

Bellasmom likes this.
  11. Jill & Scooter

Thanks Wendy!