911!? 1/16 Dino Baby PMPS 207, +2 77, +4 55 and dropping help!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Charlotte + Dino Baby, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Charlotte + Dino Baby

Charlotte + Dino Baby Member

Is anyone awake? Very worried over here! My husband knew from links I’ve sent him from FDMB that over 200 is safe to shoot. He shot at 208 tonight while I was at work and at +4 she’s already down to 55! Her nadir isn’t for hours so of course I’m freaking out. She’s eaten a TON since getting her insulin, but numbers are still dropping pretty fast. I just gave her 4 pea sized drops of honey and she seems okay so far (no hypo symptoms)

What should we do??

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Charlotte
    Can you test again and see if the BG has risen any please.?

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Charlotte
    You really need to test again now to see that the BG level is not dropping further.
    Did you give some food with the honey?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Charlotte, I am concerned what is happening with Dino Baby's BG.
    This is not a criticism but a FYI moving forward.....
    If you get a number like 77 two hours after a preshot of 207, that is a big red flag that this is going to be an active cycle and you need to test again within an hour to see how fast she is dropping. It is much better to catch the drop after another hour than to leave it 2 hours and find it has dropped down to 55. You did the correct thing in giving some honey (best with some food as well) .......you could also have given some higher carb food instead of the honey.
    Then you need to test again in 1/2 hour to see that the number is coming up not down. If it is still dropping, you need to feed either honey or high carb again and test again in another 1/2 hour. Once it's on the rise into higher numbers you can test in 1 hour. Then you need two consecutive numbers that are rising without food to be safe.

With SLGS method Dino Baby has earned a reduction in dose to 0.75 units as she dropped under 90. Please take the reduction at the next insulin dose.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: changed he to she for Dino Baby
  5. Charlotte + Dino Baby

Hi Bron! Just tested again, we’re at 61. I gave more honey along with some low carb food.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok that good. She is safe at that number but we want to get her a bit higher on SLGS.
    Test again in 1/2 hour to see she is rising and post it please.
    Do you have some higher carb food in your hypo kit as well as honey?

7. Charlotte + Dino Baby

Copy that! Loud and clear, thank you so much

Tbh I would not have shot a full unit considering her numbers leading up to PMPS but my husband thought he was doing the right thing. As soon as I got home from work and checked what he had put on her SS I knew I was going to be up all night!

I do have high carb food out but she won’t touch it! That’s why I moved to honey + LC. I have a feeding syringe on hand if it comes to that. She weirdly seemed to like the honey??

8. Charlotte + Dino Baby

Up to 128! and she’s still eating a little LC. Should I continue with more honey? I understand it’s quickly metabolized. We’re approaching +6

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No more honey. I'd not feed any more at the moment and test again in 1 hour and see if she is staying up on her own... She could possibly bounce from the lower number (55) as she is probably not used to them any more and thinks the higher numbers are normal.
    Even if she bounces to a high AMPS in the morning...still take the reduction in dose.

Shooting the 208 was ok to do. If you shoot a lower than you are used to number, it is a good idea to get a +1 or +2 and monitor closely if the numbers are dropping.

If she won't eat the higher carb food it is fine to give honey and low carb together instead. I often gave Sheba lowcarb and honey if she dropped low as she responded well to the honey. Just be aware that honey and high carb will wear off within 1 1/2 to 2 hours, sometimes less depending on how strong the insulin is working.

10. Charlotte + Dino Baby

Heard! I’ll stand down on the honey until I check her numbers in an hour. Will def reduce dose to .75 in the AM as well. You’re an angel.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Charlotte, thanks for keeping the SS up to date!
    Can you add in the remarks column of the SS what you fed and when please?, so that you will be able to look back and see what you did and how she responded. It is also helpful for us to see. You will learn how much honey to give to get a response in the BGs and looking back at previous remarks I found was very helpful.
    Also add things like appetite good/bad. Poops normal/not normal. Active or lethargic. Gives a good picture of how Dino Baby is.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Charlotte + Dino Baby likes this.
  12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Charlotte -

For the future, you and your husband may want to look this sticky note over (or print it out). It was developed for TR but is applicable to SLGS as it deals with handling low numbers.

I strongly suspect a bounce is in your kitty's future. However, remember Dino Baby gets a dose reduction.

Charlotte + Dino Baby likes this.
  13. Charlotte + Dino Baby

lol I read that sticky note out loud to my husband earlier tonight!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  14. Charlotte + Dino Baby

Will add detailed notes in the morning! She’s at 137 now, staying up on her own and still snacking a bit. Crisis averted!

Hoping that her eating so much with her bg under 159 means she can actually access the available energy and convert some into fat storage.

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Good job last night on helping Charlotte and her Dino Baby with the low numbers. Glad to see Charlotte over here getting such good help. You've 'graduated' from the Health Forum.

16. Charlotte + Dino Baby

So one last question regarding this episode! At +10 (7:30 am) she’s was at 320. I considered using that as her AMPS to move back our schedule and interrupt her oncoming bump, since one was surely coming. I decided it probably wasn’t wise to do that without consulting this forum, but would have have been an acceptable move? Is it dangerous or damaging in any way for her BG to be above 600?

We did scale back to 0.75 this morning, hope that gives a more predictable curve so we can shoot the same amount on time tonight. And stop this bouncing nonsense!