911: Gagging reflex, non eating, diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kristina, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristina

Kristina Member

Took diabetic kitty, Brady to vet yesterday because he was acting somewhat lethargic, had diarrhea and a gag reflex without bringing anything up. BG was 125 which is low for a stressed out cat at the vet. No temperature or anything else noticeable in the physical exam. I did not give insulin that evening and he ate just a tiny bit of raw food. Vet said to call if he still doesn't eat. Today, a square inch of turkey, no insulin and is still having these gagging episodes. He is still lethargic and refuses every type of food. I'm going back to the vet tomorrow, but if anyone has any experience with any of these symptoms, I would appreciate you sharing your information. Thank you!

2. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

I have a civie who used to do this just before she would throw up a huge hairball, she has not done it in a long time, that may not be the problem with your cat but it may be a possibility.

3. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Pancreatitis? Where's Mogs? She'll know.

4. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

My cat Shita did this years ago, it went on for a couple of days, then she began vomitting some frothy stuff that was pink tinged. Took her to the vet, they xrayed and saw something partly in her stomach and partly out. Ended up doing surgery, she had eaten a 6-7 inch piece of green metallic curling ribbon (it was Christmas time) and couldn't get it out.

Pain or discomfort can make them lethargic. Is your kitty still drinking? If he's still gagging today, I'd take him back!

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Kristina,

I'm very sorry to hear that Brady is not eating. If he's refusing all food then you need to get that addressed urgently. If he's heaving like that then there's definitely something up - it doesn't sound like ordinary nausea.

I strongly recommend that you get Brady back to the vet as soon as possible. As you've not given insulin and he's not eating and really poorly there is an increased risk of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA - potentially life-threatening) you need to get the vet to test straight away for ketones. Also ask the vet if they can do a SNAP fPL test today in case it might be pancreatitis (it can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and inappetence). If the vet can do the test in-house you'd get a yes/no answer as to likelihood of its presence. Also, if he were mine I'd ask the vet if Brady might have ingested something to cause this.

If it is pancreatitis, things that can help are:

Cerenia - for nausea and vomiting
    Ondansetron - for nausea
    Famotidine - for stomach acid
    Buprenorphine - for pain
    Cyproheptadine - for appetite stimulation (need to give stuff for nausea before this - check with vet about Brady's liver status). Gentler than mirtazapine, doesn't last as long so easier to control dosing.
    Mirtazapine - alternative appetite stimulant (WARNING: can cause serotonin syndrome - may interact with buprenorphine and ondansetron- 1/8 of a 15mg tablet can take 3 days to clear system - antidote is cyproheptadine)
    Flaygyl - for diarrhoea - tastes foul. Active ingredient is antibiotic metronidazole. Saoirse was given Stomorgyl 2 which contains metronidazole & another antibiotic - apparently not as foul-tasting.
    Kaolin paste with probiotic - for diarrhoea (e.g. Pro-Kolin).

Bland food - e.g home poached chicken - mince up finely and give c 1 tbsp every hour with some water and some of the broth from the poaching. Keep to tiny meals for a good while, even if Brady would eat more at a sitting it is easier on the digestive system to give small amounts at a time. (If you're home nursing, timed feeders are a godsend.)

Fluids - ask vet about sub-qs.

Useful links:

IDEXX Guide to Pancreatitis and Treatments

Nausea Symptoms and Treatments

Let us know how you get on.

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

PS - is the diarrhoea really, really whiffy?

7. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thank you all for providing fast information! I have an appointment with the vet today at 10:30. Brady is trying to eat, but everything he touches he can't keep down; it doesn't even get in his mouth and he gags. Tried raw (which he really likes), baby food (turkey) and even tried to rub water on his mouth. He just starts gagging on everything. He gags every 40 minutes or more even if he is not eating. Stopped having BMs since he has no food to eliminate so can't evaluate the waste. Just noticed, that my second cat, Teddy, had runny stool (pretty stinky), so maybe it's a virus or maybe I'm just being paranoid given all the information. Teddy is acting fine. We are getting up to 24" of snow starting today, so I'm trying to prepare by getting everything I may possibly need. Many thanks for the support and I'm taking all these threads with me to the vet! Great advice on the possibilities.

8. Critter Mom

Hi Kristina,

I'm very glad to hear that you managed to get an appointment for Brady.

Forgot to add:

Course of B12 injections - can help appetite, can give a real general boost, and diabetic cats are often deficient in B12/folate.

If both of your kitties have GI issues at the moment that might point to a food issue? Diabetics tend to have more sensitive digestive systems so that could potentially be why - if it is a food problem - Brady might be more affected than Teddy (speculating here). I wonder whether it would be a good idea to bring Teddy in for a check up, too?

With the snow forecast, I'd suggest asking your vet to give you a prescription for the anti-nausea and appetite stimulant meds so that you have some at home. You may not need to use them but with the inclement weather it would be invaluable to have the meds you need at home so that you can help Brady without further delay should the need arise. If your vet doesn't have them in stock, cyproheptadine, mirtazapine and ondansetron are all human medications so you should be able to get the Rx filled at a regular pharmacy. Famotidine is a human med too under the brand Pepcid. Note that there are different formulations and some contain ingredients that are harmful to cats. From what I've read here I think that Pepcid AC is OK but please ask your vet for the right type (and if in any doubt whatsoever don't use it). I assume that your vet will give you any pain meds/fluids that Brady might need. If you don't have ketone test strips at home (e.g. Keto-diastix) it would be a very good idea to pick some up at the pharmacy so that you can monitor Brady's urine to make sure he stays ketone-free while waiting for him to be able to eat properly again. It might be worth asking your vet if there is a high calorie recovery food that you might be able to give to Brady while he's having difficulty eating enough. It's the calories he needs to keep ketones at bay. Even if the carbohydrates may be higher you could ask your vet about managing the insulin around Brady's energy needs.

It's good that Brady wants to eat. That's over half the battle. Sending wishes for all to go OK at the vet visit. I'll check in later to see how you got on.

:bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  9. Critter Mom

PPS:

Just to cover all bases, ask the vet to check that Brady isn't constipated. Sometimes liquid faeces can escape around a stuck stool, and constipation can cause vomiting.

Mogs

10. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thanks again for all the great info! Going to the vet soon with all the info in my head on paper.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Kristina

Kristina Member

...AND on paper.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Best of luck at the vet's, hope it all goes well and they get to the bottom of it. Please keep us posted!

13. Kristina

Kristina Member

After two hours at the vet, no diagnosis. Waiting for radiologist to review x-ray as the radiograph shows signs of a dilated bowel and vet can not rule out obstruction. No insulin until he is eating. No glucose in urine. BG 282, WBC high at 19 (probably due to stress). Vet provided fluids and Convenia, Cerenia, Metronidazole, Buprenex. Vet would prefer I take cat to emergency room given we are expecting so much snow. When Brady came home, he ate 3/4 can of Fancy Feast with gravy (didn't have time to poach a chicken!) and I haven't seen him gag. Taking the conservative approach until I get more info from the radiologist but opinions are welcome!

This forum has been so nice to have and thank you for helping me with this cat issue!

14. Critter Mom

Thanks for the update, Kristina. Glad you got back home safely. They're covering the US snow situation on the UK news tonight.

Glad we could do a bit to help you earlier.

Did the vet check for ketones?

Mogs

15. Critter Mom

@BJM - If you're around, BJ, is there any light you could shed on the above? (I've got no experience in this area.)

16. Critter Mom

More questions:

1. Which insulin is Brady on?

2. How long is it since his last dose?

3. Is the vet doing any blood tests?

BTW, keep an eye on the litter box for poops or diarrhoea. If it's possible it might be an idea to keep Brady to an area where only he has access to the litter box for the time being so that you can be sure that any bowel movements are his.

Glad to hear the gagging has eased. It sounds like the Cerenia might be helping. Never having been in a situation where a cat may have a bowel obstruction I don't have any suggestions for how to proceed or what to expect. There is a site called www.felineconstipation.org where you might find something to help you.

Mogs

17. Kristina

Kristina Member

Hi @Mogs,

1. Brady is on 5 units glargine twice a day
    2. Last insulin shot was Tuesday evening, when he ate a full meal. Vet said no insulin until eating regularly.
    3. Vet did not do the pancreas blood test because they don't have the testing equipment in-house and with the snow, they can't send it out. They did a CBC, Lytes and CHM 17 and urine dipstick. Items out of range, but vet did not think significant, were Glucose (high), BUN (low), WBC (high), NEU(high), Mono (high), everything else within normal range.
    4. No ketones in the urine test.

Vet is treating for possible pancreatitis/triaditis and waiting for x-ray review.

Brady just resting and will try to watch his litter box activity. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions!

18. Critter Mom

Yay! Brady's a black kitty! :D (Not that I'm biased or anything ...)

I'm glad to see the ketone test was negative at the vet's, but I'm still very concerned about your vet's advice not to give ANY insulin. It increases the risk of DKA.

Can you let me know ASAP if you're home testing Brady's blood glucose levels? Also can you confirm which food he's managing to eat at the moment and its carb level if you know it.

Mogs

19. Critter Mom

@Meya14 -

Hi Meya,

If you're around at all I'd be very grateful for your input on this thread.

Mogs

20. Kristina

Kristina Member

Hi @Mogs,

Actually, the black kitty is my new senior rescue, Teddy. Brady is grey and white, sorry to disappoint you ;-)

The vet indicated she would call as soon as she received a radiologist reading on the x-ray so I will ask her about giving insulin to decrease the risk of DKA. I need to learn how to home test - sadly, I have been remiss in getting trained, and this is the time I should be checking. He ate a high carb food (the one I know he will eat and I never give him because very high carb) : Fancy Feast with gravy (~17%carb).

Grateful for your help!
    Kristina

21. Critter Mom

I can live with that! :D

I know the carbs aren't ideal but sometimes the right food is the one a kitty can eat right now. When you're speaking with the vets, be sure to let them know that Brady's eating a higher carb food than normal. It might give a bit more bandwidth to the vet when considering perhaps a token dose of insulin for Brady to tide him over till he's ready to get back to his normal diet.

Be sure to post updates when you get them.

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The lab tests are suggesting infection to me. That, plus not eating, plus not enough insulin is a recipe for diabetic ketoacidosis.

Given that his normal dose is 5 units, giving a token dose of 1-2 units might bring the glucose down some and help perk up the appetite (dropping glucose often triggers the desire to eat).

Can you pick up some KetoDiaStix (tests for ketones and glucose) or KetoStix (just tests for ketones) tonight to test the urine? You may need to call a pharmacy to check and because they are small, they may be behind the counter

Would you be able to get an inexpensive glucometer, such as the Target Up and Up or the WalMart ReliOn Confirm (or Confirm Micro or Prime), matching test strips, and lancets labeled for alternate site testing (25-28 gauge and more likely to get a blood drop starting out)?

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools and use as many of those as you can to report back to us. Especially tell us the result of the dehydration checks.

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thank you, @BJM . Unfortunately, everything closed today at 3:00pm and is suppose to remain closed until after the blizzard. It's suppose to be very bad here tonight through Sunday morning. I'm hoping the vet will call me so I can repeat what has been said in this thread. Brady just ate another 1.5 oz of lower carb food, and he has perked up a bit. I think the medications are helping. Less gagging and he just had a semi-soft stool. As soon as the pharmacy is open and I will take your shopping list and get busy. I now how important it is to monitor the subtleties in BG values; I'm just not sure if I will be successful getting the specimen from Brady the cat with major catitude.

I'll try a conservative 1 unit of glargine based upon your recommendation. He did just eat, so it might help as you suggested.

I am so glad I found this forum!

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Do what you can with the Secondary Monitoring Tools for now, then. - water drunk, urination, dehydration are some of the signs of diabetes, so if you see improvements in those, it suggests you're making progress.

If you can get to a pharmacy tomorrow, come h*ll or high snow drifts, to get a meter (Bayer and Abbott are good brands if you haven't got a Target or WalMart to get to), test strips, and lancets, please do so!

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Kristina

Kristina Member

Will do!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  26. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

You know, there's something I've been thinking about...Have you possibly changed any cleaners in the house? Or started using a new fabric softener? Something that might cause an allergic reaction and cause your cat's nasal passages to gunk up? He wouldn't necessarily have a runny nose..he might have the cat equivelent of a post-nasal drip. That would irritate his stomach, and sometimes actually make an animal gag..especially when trying to eat, because his airway isn't clear and creates a sort of mini-vaccuum at the back of his throat.

Just sayin..my poor old BarneyBob got his first nasal infection when he snorted a piece of catnip up his nose..a larger chunk. He pressed his face against the dusting of nip on the floor, and inhaled a tiny piece, which then lodged in his nose and he developed an infection.

From that time on, he had trouble, and when presented with anything strong smelling, even food, he would GAG. I almost forgot this..knew something was nagging at me.

So think about that, he might even have backsnorted some food into his nose, and also think if you have added new cleaning substances, aerosol sprays like lysol, (which can make a cat seriously ill all by themselves), and even tiny bits of 'salt' like the crystalline stuff used to get traction on the roads and sidewalks in winter. Folks bring that stuff in on their boots, and little chunks of it fling into corners and embed in carpets.

27. Critter Mom

Hi Kristina,

Following on from @BJ's posts (thank you, BJ!), as a temporary measure is there any way that you could keep Brady in a separate room for the time being? If yes, then you could measure his water intake and check how much he's urinating far better and easier. It would help you monitor his poops, too. (Good that he has had a bowel motion. Was it a bit whiffy by any chance?)

Also - and this is a long shot - are any of your neighbours diabetic by any chance? They might have a glucose meter they could lend you till the stores open again (and maybe some ketone strips). Brainstorming here.

Try to make sure that Brady drinks well - if there were any ketones brewing it would help to flush them out of his system.

It goes without saying that we're here for you. :bighug:

Mogs

Jeanne & Dottie likes this.
  28. Kristina

Kristina Member

Interesting that you would mention his breathing.nose. I noticed a scratch down the center of his nose this morning which wasn't there yesterday. However, it may have occurred when I tried to unsuccessfully give him a pill. He got his paws out and scratched me (and maybe himself). He was sort of "snoring" lightly yesterday. Still waiting for the vet to contact me but we are up to 20" already and roads are unpassable. Brady won't eat this morning. Managed to give him the pain medicine and not sure why he is growling when I pick him up. Hope it's not pain, but he could be nervous that he is going back into his carrier or I'm taking him near my other cat.

May need to try and syringe some water into him as it appears he is not drinking much. He did urinate this morning.

29. Critter Mom

Morning, Kristina.

If Saoirse's a good yardstick, buprenorphine may suppress appetite. I'd suggest making sure he eats before giving the next dose of bupe.

Have you any chicken at home? If you have, poach some (just in water) for Brady and keep the broth. See if he'll drink some of the broth. If yes, then try mixing 50/50 broth to fresh water. If he'll drink that then it will help you stretch out the broth so it lasts longer (worried about you being snowbound and unable to get more chicken for the foreseeable) otherwise give him the broth on its own. If you mince up the chicken he might eat a little bit of that with some broth.

Try mixing a teaspoon or two of water into his food - that will help increase his fluid intake.

If neither of the above work then it'll have to be water via syringe.

Are you using clumping litter? If yes, then if you record the size of each clump in your secondary monitoring log; it will give you a rough idea of how much fluid he's losing through urine.

If the vets don't call soon then, given the weather conditions over there, it might be an idea to proactively call them - especially if they can only be reached via landline (worried about phone service disruption).

Sending get better very soon vibes for Brady and a :bighug: for you.

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  30. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thank you, Mogs! Thankfully, I have some frozen chicken that I could poach. Brady drank at least a tablespoon of chicken broth and even ate a few minced chicken pieces. I will continue to offer some to him.

We continue to have blizzard conditions here.

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Critter Mom

I'm delighted to hear that he's managing some of the chicken and broth! It helped Saoirse so much. The chicken is bland and easily digestible and because I could get the fluids into her I was able to nurse her through the pancreatitis flare at home. Try to keep him drinking. The hydration will help him to feel better and flush toxins out of his system.

I'm sorry the weather is so bad where you are. Keep warm and safe.

Mogs

32. Critter Mom

Hi Kristina,

Just checking in to see how Brady's doing today. Is he eating and drinking? And are you all OK in spite of the snow?

Mogs

33. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thanks for checking in. We have completed a lot of shoveling so we can drive if necessary. However, all the nearby vet emergency rooms said they do not have staff to do an abdominal ultrasound. I made an appointment for tomorrow. Brady is eating, so I feel better. Loose stool and urinating okay. Vet said only 1 unit of insulin twice a day, max. She wants the abdominal ultrasound but it appears that can't happen until tomorrow. The roads are still bad.

New ailment he is limping - rear right leg, I believe. This is new and perhaps that is why he growls if I attempt to pick him up. It's not neuropathy, because he wouldn't feel it, so it must be something new. Vet has no idea without seeing him and they are closed. The vet also mentioned that the radiologist has not gotten back to her on Brady's x-rays. Thankfully, he is eating and looking a bit better today because no medical treatment is readily available.

I'm a little frustrated, but this is par for the course after a major snow fall.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Attached Files:

• snow.JPG
      snow.JPG
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  34. Critter Mom

Great to hear that Brady's eating, peeing and pooping (albeit loosely) and that he's getting some insulin, too.

Vent away; your frustration is completely understandable, Kristina. I've no experience with limping kitties so can't suggest anything. (Perhaps other members may have some input?) Hopefully the vet will be able to sort things out at your appointment tomorrow. Keeping fingers and paws crossed that you will be able to travel safely. Assuming that you can travel OK, I recommend picking up a glucometer, plenty of blood glucose test strips, and also some urine test strips. It makes all the difference in the world to be able to do basic testing at home; the information they provide are invaluable when making treatment choices, and also for your own peace of mind.

Your snowscape scene is most picturesque. Snow can be very beautiful to look at when you're all tucked up safe and warm, but it does tend to lose its charm when it prevents us from getting to where we need to be - especially at times like this.

Mogs

35. Squalliesmom

I hope all goes well at Brady's appointment today! Please keep us posted!

You have my sympathy about the snow - we got hit hard, too, couldn't get out at all over the weekend and still dicey in places today.

36. Kristina

Kristina Member

Hi @Squalliesmom - thanks for the well wishes. I'm anxious about today's visit but hoping for a very good outcome. Brady will see the radiologist then I have a consult with the internal medicine vet.

Be safe if you do go out today. I understand many secondary roads are bad and there are icy patches in many places.

37. Squalliesmom

Fingers and paws crossed for you and Brady, and sending prayers and healing vines. It's so scary when we don't know what's going on inside our babies that's making them sick/hurt. If love was medicine none of us would ever have sick kitties!

Yes, I understand that black ice is a problem today. Be careful and stay safe! {{{HUGS}}}

38. Critter Mom

Wishing you both a safe trip today. Ask if they can test Brady for ketones during the consult. If you can, bring a urine sample (although they may have a blood ketone meter). Ask them about a supply of anti-nausea and appy stimulant meds. (Double-check with them about interactions between mirtazapine and buprenex. Cyproheptadine is an alternative, gentler and more controllable appy stimulant but you need to check liver is OK.)

Mogs

39. Kristina

Kristina Member

Update: Ultrasound didn't show anything conclusive : slightly enlarged kidneys but that could be because Brady is a large cat and/or diabetic; possible crystals or bacteria in the bladder; no enlarged other organs.

Vet recommended keeping at hospital for 48 hours to monitor glucose, do additional testing (pancreatitus specific blood test, another UA, other GI tests), provide subQ fluids, etc. I hated to leave Brady, but maybe they can assess and nurse him better and hopefully find a good protocol to make him better.

On a funny note, I had poached two chicken thighs for Brady this morning and in my haste, I let them cool on the stove top when I took him to the vet/hospital. When I came home, I noticed one thigh was gone. Who ate it? Well, take a guess who somehow got in the tall stock pot and did self service....Teddy!

Attached Files:

Ferndoc likes this.
  40. Critter Mom

Teddy! :eek: Bad cheetah!!! :D

A lot of positives from the ultrasound, and it's better to know what's happening in Brady's bladder. It's rotten having to leave our little ones at the hospital. :( That said, with his appetite a bit iffy and a possible infection their nursing facilities will make it easier to administer his insulin and make sure he gets the nutrients and fluid he needs. Thank goodness the roads were passable for you.

Fingers and paws crossed that Brady will feel much better really quickly. Be sure to post updates as you get them. And get some rest for yourself; it has been a stressy few days for you. :bighug:

Mogs

41. Squalliesmom

I know it's hard to leave him at the vet's. Hopefully they will have some positive news for you soon. Good that the ultrasound didn't show anything. Sending prayers and healing vines for Brady. Please keep us updated! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Naughty Teddy, lol!!! :cat:

42. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thanks for all your prayers and nice wishes. The vet called this evening and said blood and urine results were pretty much normal. She doesn't suspect pancreatitis, liver or kidney problems. BG was up to 430 but that should be expected with the stress and no insulin (recently). She is hoping fluids and getting him to eat may be a road to recovery. She mentioned potentially doing a endoscopy but she really doesn't want to do that at this point. Neither do I.

I'm going to investigate, but maybe this is just simple IBS? I don't know much about IBS, but I know it is prevalent with sugar kitties.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  43. Squalliesmom

I'm so glad Brady got such a good report from the vet, must be a HUGE relief for you! I have a civvie with IBD and very frequently she will refuse her food. It is a real struggle to get her to eat, and find something that doesn't give her absolutely terrible diarrhea. Poor little girl really suffers with it.

44. Critter Mom

Hi Kristina,

Good news on the diagnostic test results. Did the vets say anything about the limp and the bowel dilation? And how is Brady's appetite at the moment?

Mogs

45. Critter Mom

46. Kristina

Kristina Member

I'm waiting for an update from the vet today; they can't diagnose if testing doesn't help them determine what is wrong. I know that normal tests are good news but it still doesn't explain any of his symptoms. I mentioned his limp, but the vet didn't notice much; probably because he didn't walk much. She assessed his scabbed over nose and suspects it is due to licking his snout which could be attributed to hydration.

Brady is still in their care and so I don't know much more at this point. I miss my dear Brady! Thanks for following up and I will update as information is provided by the vet.

47. Critter Mom

Is he eating much, Kristina?

48. Kristina

Kristina Member

They told me they would feed him, subQs and watch his BG so I'm not sure. I'm trying to be patient for the vet's call, but I may break down soon and call them for an update :) I have added that question to my list; if I don't have a list I forget to ask important questions.

Thank you!

49. Critter Mom

I'm exactly the same (especially with the PTSD). And the greater the anxiety, the easier it is to miss important queries.

If he is eating, be sure to ask them whether it's under his own steam or whether he's on meds (anti-nausea, appy stimulant, etc.). Also, if they decide to discharge him I'd strongly recommend you insist on getting the necessary supportive meds to continue his treatment at home. Whether or not Brady needs the meds, when it comes to keeping a kitty eating - especially a sugar cat - it's much, much safer to be in a position to tackle potential inappetence head-on.

Mogs

50. Kristina

Kristina Member

Update: vet said he is not eating even though they offered him several different types of food. They calculated that he had a teaspoon of food total which is not enough. My choices: 1) go in to see if he will eat for me 2) let them withhold food and get them to do a endoscopy to see if they can determine IBS or any other bowel issues, 3) wait on the endoscopy for another day to see if he decides to eat but then they will have to put in a feeding tube 4) do nothing and just watch and wait.

Any comments? My bills are running up but I feel like I need to give them a fair shot at diagnosing any bowel issues.

If IBS, then I guess he gets steroids and then his blood sugar could get wacky. Oh my, so many things to worry about.

51. Critter Mom

Oh, dear. Poor Brady. Poor you! :bighug:

Did you ask whether they're giving nausea and appetite stimulant meds?

52. Kristina

Kristina Member

No anti-nausea or appetite stimulant meds were given.

Thank you for asking and I'm glad I had that question on my list.

53. Critter Mom

Why aren't they at least giving an anti-nausea med? Lots of cats also have trouble with excess stomach acid if they fast too long and that can put them off their food, too. Did they give a reason why they're not giving Brady any supportive meds?

54. Kristina

Kristina Member

I am getting another list of questions to ask. Can you think of any others? Thank you - it's hard to think straight when they are telling you all the information. Your thoughts are helpful. Also, I do not see using a feeding tube as a good prognosis. I would think that we can assume some kind of bowel disease and just treat presumptuously?

My thoughts:

Assumptions - some kind of bowel disorder

1) he is not eating, can we try appetite stimulate and anti nausea meds? I'll go over and try to feed him to see if it helps if I'm there with his favorite foods.
    2) can we treat for IBS or other bowel disorder to see if that works? I don't really want him to have a feeding tube continuously and will try to get him to eat on his own.
    3) if the bowel issue is a long term illness, what can we do to manage at home?

55. Critter Mom

Feeding tubes sound scary but they aren't as awful as we imagine and they really can be life savers. It can be really scary when a cat is off its food but if you can break the cycle of inappetence things can improve fairly quickly.

Here is an article about feeding tubes written by Dr Lisa Pierson (of catinfo.org):

Feeding Tubes Can Save Lives

Should major nutritional assistance be necessary, feeding via the tube should only be a temporary situation and it can actually be far less stressful on both the cat and guardian (and it's certainly a more reliable way to get sufficient nutrition into a cat compared to assist feeding). Minimising stress can also speed recovery. Dr Pierson's advice about not waiting too long before placing a feeding tube is wise advice. (I lost my Danú to hepatic lipidosis a few years ago because the vet waited too long before offering the feeding tube option. Sadly I didn't know as much as I do now about what to do to try to help a cat who's having trouble eating.)

I have no experience with endoscopies so can't really suggest anything about them. The general consensus from the vets who have treated Saoirse is that she most likely has low-grade IBD as well as pancreatitis but both myself and our main vet were reluctant to perform an endoscopy after her ultrasound showed that there wasn't anything majorly out of whack with her intestinal wall thickness. IIRC, a biopsy is needed for a firm IBD diagnosis but certain clusters of symptoms may point in its direction. I think a lot of vets treat on an 'as if' basis when IBD is strongly suspected. I am tagging Shane (@granadilla) to see whether she's online. Shane has more knowledge about IBD than I do, and she may be able to suggest questions for you to ask the vet and give you more information on the condition and its management (and it can be managed).

I think that you going to visit Brady is a very, very good idea. I think that it might be an idea to bring in some home-cooked chicken and broth because it might tempt him. If I were in your situation I would ask the vets if there was any medical reason not to give an anti-nausea medication. If it was OK as a treatment option I would ask them to give the anti-nausea treatment ASAP and PRIOR to my visit so that it might have a chance to start working before I arrived to try to encourage my cat to eat. I'd also ask the same about appetite stimulants. (NB: It's better to give the anti-nausea treatment prior to the appy stimulant.) Famotidine can also help if stomach acid is a problem (not uncommon if a cat has been fasting for a long time). Overall, speaking for myself after losing a cat when the treating vet adopted a wait-and-see approach to her treatment it's not something I would be comfortable with ever again. However, every cat is different and there may be clinical reasons for your vets not responding to Brady's inappetence with more aggressive treatment. That said, if I were in a situation like that with one of my cats I would insist - really insist- on the treating vet giving an extremely comprehensive justification for not adopting an aggressive treatment strategy and what the expected outcome might be.

When you do try to entice Brady to eat, he may eat something out of your hand instead of a dish.

When you go to visit, bring a t-shirt or nightshirt with you; it will carry your scent and it will be a comfort to Brady.

Mogs

marniepaul & miles likes this.
  56. Kristina

Kristina Member

A huge thank you for the information. I am sending my questions, requesting anti nausea them going to pet store for all Brady's favorite foods. Will also take the poached chicken. I'm making a visit later this afternoon and hoping he will eat for me.

57. Critter Mom

Sending prayers that he will eat for you, Kristina. Please give Brady some scritches from me. :bighug:

If there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

Mogs

58. Critter Mom

PS ... see if he will take some warmed broth first. Sometimes when they get past the initial tasting and it doesn't upset their tums they are more inclined to eat some mashed-up solids.

granadilla likes this.
  59. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Thanks for tagging me, Mogs. Kristina, I'm so sorry to hear about Brady not being well. Yes, IBD can be managed. Did they do an ultrasound of his stomach and intestines? If they agree the symptoms might match IBD, they may recommend a steroid. Ask for budesonide rather than prednisolone, which can raise BG levels. Budesonide is a newer steroid that only targets the gut instead of the whole system, so it's good for kitties with diabetes. It's a pill that you give once a day on an ongoing basis.

Kitties with IBD can have problems with nausea, diarrhea and/or constipation. For now the most important thing is to get him to eat. A feeding tube is fine if that's what you need to do for now to get him to eat. If he'll eat a little bit on his own, maybe managing his nausea will help him eat more. Once he's back home and eating more normally, there are things you can give him to help with diarrhea and/or constipation on a regular basis.

-- Ask for an appetite stimulant (Cypro, not Mirtazapine. Mirt can give kitties hallucinations and they act spacey on it. Cyproheptadine has less side effects.)
    -- Ask for a nausea med. They can inject Cerenia or give you Cerenia tablets. Standard dose is 1/4 tab once a day.
    -- Ondansetron is a human prescription med that helps nausea. You can give it at the same time as Cerenia if his nausea is really bad. Standard dose is 1/4 tab twice a day. You'll have to get this filled at a human pharmacy.
    -- You can get OTC Pepcid (famotidine is the generic name, 20 mg) to reduce stomach acid. Standard dose is 1/4 tab twice a day. If the vet doesn't want to give Cerenia or Ondansetron for some reason, you can start with the Pepcid and see if it helps.
    -- Raise his food bowl a few inches. If nausea is an issue, then hunching over to eat will bring up the stomach acid. Mogs told me when my kitty was sick to raise her bowl, and it worked. I just put a couple of paperbacks underneath the bowl to lift it up 4-5 inches. This sounds like a small thing to do, but it can make a big difference.

-- Lastly, if this vet won't get more aggressive with his treatment, find an Internal Medicine vet if you can at all afford it. They are more specialized. And yes, more expensive. But they have more experience in complicated cases and their equipment is human-grade.

Hang in there and please keep us posted about Brady's progress. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Shane

Critter Mom likes this.
  60. Critter Mom

@granadilla -

Hi Shane,

I'm so glad you got the tag. Thanks for weighing in to help Kristina and Brady. :bighug:

Mogs

61. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thank you! I'm grateful for all the advice. I am going to see Brady this afternoon and I will talk to the Internal Med vet on staff. Note: I have not been good at giving pills. I can only hope that some of your suggested drugs come in liquid form.

62. Critter Mom

Kristina,

Visit this link and print out the section on nausea symptoms to take with you to the vets. Ask if they've observed any of the behaviours and see if you notice any yourself. Sniffing food, seeming interested, perhaps licking a little then giving up is a very good 'tell'.

Shane is spot on. If - if - nausea is the problem then it's a case of getting supportive measures into place to turn the vicious circle (hungry but queasy; eats then feels queasier; stops eating; stomach acid builds or system gets off balance; feels queasier; won't eat) into a virtuous one (meds suppress nausea; food starts to taste OK again; system gets back in balance/stomach acid doesn't build up; nausea reduces; increasingly easier to eat).

Mogs

granadilla likes this.
  63. Critter Mom

Cerenia can be injected. So can famotidine. Right now just let the vets worry about the administration of the meds but to reassure you a little, I give Saoirse two doses of ondansetron (another anti-nausea med) every day. I crush the dose and mix it up in her food. Sometimes she gets a hint of the taste and wobbles a bit but if I crumble a freeze-dried chicken treat on top of her grub she eats it fine. Also, other members here may know where to get meds compounded into a form that is easier to administer than a pill.

Mogs

64. Kristina

Kristina Member

Thanks you for the link to the list. I noticed right away that "licking their lips" is a possible indication for excess stomach acid. Brady has scabs from licking too much. I feel better educated in such a short period of time thanks to everyone's helpful information. Naturally, he won't want to eat if his tummy is upset. Wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy? I'll be in touch. THANK YOU!!

65. Critter Mom

Good observation about Brady's nose. Rooting for you both in the Shire.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

66. Critter Mom

Is that Pepcid AC, Shane? I know that there are different Pepcid formulations in the States but I'm never sure which one is the OK formulation for pussy cats. (Over here, I have to get generic famotidine for Saoirse.)

Mogs

67. Kristina

Kristina Member

Just spoke with the internal medicine vet and Brady was given an acid reducer. I will get all drug info from his records before I leave. He ate! Only about 1 ounce, but that is better than nothing. He scoffed at shrimp, poached chicken, turkey lunch meat but ate the smelly tuna tiki cat I had in my arsenal of foods. Maybe it was the familiarity of his bowl or the strong smell but I was happy he ate.

Next steps is steroids which may also increase his appetite. They showed me how to do blood glucose, but to be honest, I do not think I can do it at home. Brady was hissing and biting (he has a lot of catitude even when sick, if he is healthy, it's worse).

Just spending some time with him now and he seems to be calmer.

Attached Files:

granadilla likes this.
  68. Critter Mom

Delighted to hear that Brady ate something for you, Kristina, and lovely to see his picture. :)

[Emphasis mine.]

Just wondering whether Brady might have some nasal congestion with his nose being sore at the moment? Worth asking the vets to check; cats won't eat things they can't smell.

There can be a world of difference between vets testing a cat and you doing it at home. Saoirse was terrified of the vet techs testing her after she was first diagnosed. When I think of how their 'technique' compared to how I test her I can't say I blame her; it took two of them forever and a half to get a sample from her, but I can do it in minutes and she purrs contentedly the whole way through. If you use positive reinforcement - lots of fusses and protein treats - Brady might surprise you. Even if you decide you can't manage regular testing, Kristina, I can't emphasise strongly enough how valuable it is to have a glucometer and test strips at home for emergencies.

I bet Brady is thrilled to have you there with him. Be sure to give him some scritches from all of us here at FDMB.

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    granadilla likes this.
  69. granadilla

I'm so glad he ate! Did they have any idea of what set him down this path? Did they give you any nausea meds to take home? If this happens again, you can get Pepcid (no more than 20 mg) at any store and try give him 1/4 tablet at home and see if it helps.

There are some cats on this board who started out as semi-social, formerly feral, and yet they adjust to BG testing. Did the vet show you how to do it by pricking his ear? We condition our cats with treats and then it seems like *most* of the kitties get used to testing. There are some good links on this site that taught me how to test at home, along with some advice from veterans. I never thought my Marshmallow would put up with it because she was pretty skittish but she got used to it just fine.

If Brady is on steroids he may need an increased dose of insulin since steroids (usually not budesonide) make the BG level go up in most kitties (but not all kitties!). Then you will probably need to learn to check his BG so you can make sure you're keeping him below the renal threshold (below 300; above 300 means their kidneys can start to get affected). I promise it's not as hard as it probably seemed at the vet!

Sounds like he's feeling better today and the antacid is a good step forward, and the steroids will hopefully increase his appetite even more! With the acid reducer and the steroids, hopefully it will end the vicious cycle Mogs mentioned.

Shane

Critter Mom likes this.
  70. granadilla

Yes, Pepcid AC is the standard OTC/over-the-counter Pepcid we use for kitties in the US. Or you can buy generic famotidine which is a little cheaper. :) You're right, there are other formulations but I only ever bought it for Marshmallow so I don't even know what those ones are!

71. Critter Mom

Thanks for the confirmation about the Pepcid, Shane. :) Pepcid AC isn't available over here any more. Ironically, the generic famotidine is the most expensive med that Saoirse is on. I don't know why it costs as much as it does.

72. Critter Mom

Just dragged this post down for easy reference re possible respiratory issue.

73. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

The symptoms sound consistent with a condition called Ileus where the musculature of the bowel for one reason or another cannot contract enough to move things through. In ileus, you'll have symptoms such as dry heaving, vomiting, diarrhea followed by no BM, abdominal distension, and bowel dilation with no obvious obstruction on imaging scans. Many things can cause this, so it's important to look at all angles.

Here are some common issues that can lead to ileus:

medications - esp. narcotics
    anesthesia
    nerve compression/spinal disorder
    blood vessel compression
    IBD
    Infectious colitius, especially C. Diff
    Cancer
    Twisted bowel
    Electrolyte imbalance (Esp. Low potassium)

Treatment for ileus depends on the cause, but non-stimulating/irritant and non-fiber based laxatives such as miralax are commonly used.

@Critter Mom - Good advice on the insulin dosing/DKA prevention. I have been working a ton lately, and haven't been able to check messages every day.

**If you can, ask your vet to print out all the labs and imaging reports that you had done, and post them here. It might help to narrow down the cause.

Critter Mom likes this.
  74. Kristina

Kristina Member

Hi @Mogs,

I think Brady is leaving with a respiratory infection from the hospital, or perhaps it was brewing before he was admitted. Hard to know. I will pick him up tomorrow and have requested an arsenal of drugs in a formula that I can handle: shot, liquid or transdermal. I have not done well with pills.

Ok, I won't completely give in on BG home testing, but I have to view some more videos and other resources. The process the tech showed me was scary for me and for Brady. Maybe there is a better way.

75. Kristina

Kristina Member

That's a possibility but I haven't changed anything obvious lately. I did get a new rescue cat a few weeks ago. Can they prescribe anything for post nasal drip? Is there a feline friendly version of an antihistamine? My head is spinning but these are all good ideas and areas to investigate. Thankful for such wonderful people!

76. Critter Mom

Hi Meya,

Thank you for responding to my tag. :)

Kristina noticed that Brady was limping but the vets seem not to have given any weight to this problem.

77. Kristina

Kristina Member

@Meya14 - thank you. I only have x-rays at the moment. I can ask for the ultrasound pictures or video. Not sure what format they are but will ask for a copy.

Meds:

They gave him:
    famotidine
    Ondansetron

tonight he will get a steroid.

@granadilla - holding his bowl higher (such a simple suggestion) enticed him to start eating. Thank you.
    @Critter Mom - the ibd website has lots of good information. Seems to be overlap with many of these "abdomen" issues.
    @Jeanne Skadowski - I think I'll have to ask for an antihistamine if he has a respiratory issue. The vet did mention that the sore on his nose could also be herpes. Like humans, they can become evident under stress or when they have a cold. So many threads to follow.

....and a completely different view of my kitty is uploaded. side view brady x-ray.jpg top view Brady x-ray.jpg

78. Critter Mom

If it is respiratory/herpes infection then this may be of interest (no experience of using this myself):

https://www.vetinfo.com/controlling-cat-herpes-l-lysine.html

Saoirse had problems with sneezing last year and our vet prescribed Piriton for her (antihistamine).

Kristina, particularly in light of Meya's post above I suggest that before you depart the vets you bring up the issue of Brady's limp again (to be on the safe side).

Mogs

EDITED TO ADD:

Not used l-lysine for a cat, but I have taken it myself and it works very well for herpes inflammation. (I've had cold sores in the past and when I was going through antidepressant withdrawal hell the dormant virus flared up. I had really severe, painful inflammation of the trigeminal nerve in my face. The l-lysine started to help straight away.)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  79. Kristina

Kristina Member

I never did get a good report on the x-rays so I will ask tomorrow. @Meya14 and @Critter Mom may have a point.

This group is better and discussing possibilities then all the vets to date!

80. Critter Mom

Amazing how focused one gets when one is an actual stakeholder! ;)

Kristina likes this.
  81. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

She may have some scoliosis near her bottom most ribs, there should be a curve, and not as sharp angle as there is. Maybe it's just a funny position that they took the x-ray from too? It may or may not be significant.

If you can get copies of any blood work that might help too. If she hasn't had blood work, ask for at least a CBC, thyroid, and chem/electolyte panel be drawn.

82. Critter Mom

@Meya14 - That angle immediately caught my eye, too.

83. Kristina

Kristina Member

I'll post all chemistries tomorrow when I receive the updates that were done 1/25. Note: BG has been in the 135 range and he has not received any insulin for several days.

Lab Results from 1/22 attached. Thank you! pg 1 brady lab result.JPG pg 2 brady lab results.JPG pg 3 brady lab result.JPG

84. Kristina

Kristina Member

...interesting Lysine info I just read:
    L-lysine also has very good immune system support and is commonly used in the treatment of Feline Herpes Virus and its associated respiratory and ocular symptoms. It can be used for other inflammatory diseases such as IBD and has been shown to ward off attacks from colds, allergies, asthma, etc. due to a low functioning immune system. For a cat with an already compromised immune response, this may give them a leg up should they develop symptoms of something else.

Critter Mom likes this.
  85. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:eek:Yes, that looks like a pinched spine, and that could mean a very ouchy back. See how the two vertebrae are compressed? Leaning over a low food dish would definitely make Brady's eating a painful process.

I just found this raised food dish on amazon and am ordering two for my furkids. Ceramic and microwave safe. It's different from most raised dishes... actually has a small lip only on the outer edge, so that cats who push food around while they eat (aka...toothless cats or cats who gobble)..won't lose the grub out of their dish, and it will eliminate the necessity of holding the bowl for kitty.

Unlike a lot of the raised dishes, this one comes at a very affordable cost. There's a clear picture of the dish which shows that it also has an top incline which helps to keep kitty's chin from getting coated with food, *(feline acne..*shudder*...is not fashionable:confused:) as well as keeping them from bending their neck too much while eating..important in a senior cat who might have arthritic problems.

The bottom of this raised dish is hollow..our floors are so cold in winter that it's as if I leave my furkids' food in the refrigerator, then give it to them ice cold. Cold food can screw up digestion..it'll sit in kitty's stomach like a rock..and can cause cramping. Perhaps a raised dish won't keep the food so cold.

http://www.amazon.com/Raised-Feeder-food-ceramic-stand/dp/B00KAV98ES/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453872600&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=cat raised bowl 12.99

Additional note: The bottom of this raised dish is hollow..our floors here are so cold in winter that I might as well leave my furkids' food in the refrigerator, then drag it out and give it to them ice cold. Cold food can bollux up digestion..it'll sit in kitty's stomach like a rock..and can cause cramping.

There's 205 reviews on this item at Amazon, and 82% of them are positive. I've been looking for a dish like this for years.. WOOT!:cat: Dunno why I didn't spot it before! I guess all dishes look alike after a while, lol.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  86. Kristina

Kristina Member

@Jeanne Skadowski - the raised cat dish is functional and pretty! Thank you for all your comments and I hope your fur baby is doing well and let us know if the raised dish works for you.

87. Critter Mom

I've got raised bowls for Saoirse; they really help.

88. Critter Mom

Hi Kristina,

I hope you managed to get some decent rest last night. Any news of Brady?

Mogs

89. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

So, the labs look very good, except for the WBC/neutrophil which is an indicator of infection. So perhaps that's a UTI or colitis? Looks like the vet gave covenia and flagyl to cover those possible infections. Did the vet mention anything about starting her on a laxative? In people, miralax is used or lactulose in more stubborn cases of ileus. Also, you might want to ask the vet if she ruled out an actual obstruction. She might not have gotten a good view from the x-ray, and cats can get pretty severe obstructions from things like hair/plants/string/etc.

Critter Mom likes this.
  90. Kristina

Kristina Member

Good morning, @Critter Mom. Yes, it has been nice to rest and not get up several times a night to check on a sick kitty. However, I do miss him! The vet called this morning and they gave him the steroids and he is eating well. They will discharge him this afternoon with injectible steroids for me. I will talk to my local vet to get some B12 and I am stopping by the pet store for lysine. I know they have the human form, but I believe I saw feline specific formulations that may taste better. There is a pharmacy near the pet store so I can compare. I asked the vet about spine/limp and she will have radiologist review but she didn't see anything. {sigh}

The aggravating thing about the medical field - no diagnosis unless I opted for the $2500 endoscopy so I will just have to go with all the great information and possibilities in the forum...ileus, IBS, pinched nerve, and treat them accordingly. I have received a test kit (for emergencies and if I get the nerve to poke Brady even more) for BG from a neighbor. I need test strips. It's OneTouch ultra mini which I may need to review to ensure it can be calibrated for cats.

So, I'm happy I'm getting Brady home and that he is eating. One step at a time.

I am gracious to have found this wonderful group of smart, concerned and compassionate cat lovers!

91. Kristina

Kristina Member

Hi @Meya14 - the radiologist that did the ultrasound said there was no obstruction. I intend to get his entire medical record from the hospital today. Yesterday when I asked for all the meds that Brady was given in the hospital, it took forever to get an answer. It was like they didn't have all that information available! Anyway, the good news is that he is eating and I have several directions to get him healthy again, thanks to yours and others experience.

Meya14 likes this.
  92. Critter Mom

Hi Kristina,

I'm very pleased to hear that Brady is eating better (anti-jinx, anti-jinx). :) Also pleased to hear that you've secured a glucometer. When you're getting the test strips for the glucometer be sure to pick up some ketone test strips if you haven't already done so.

The human meter readings need to be assessed based on a cat-specific glucose reference range. Unless otherwise specified, all the glucose reference numbers on FDMB documents are for people using human meters. We can help you familiarise yourself with the correct range to use.

Are the vets sending home any stomach acid/nausea/appetite meds with Brady? I can't emphasise strongly enough how valuable they are to have to hand should Brady's appetite stall. Be sure to give him some scritches for us. :)

Mogs

93. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

One caveat with anti-acid medications to be aware of: The acid dump from the stomach to the small intestine is part of the process that initiates the bile release and muscular contractions of the small intestine. Anti-acid medications can slow down peristalsis in some cases so should be used carefully in ileus. I'd start with anti-nausea meds first.

94. Critter Mom

Thank you for that valuable information, Meya. Do you know whether slippery elm bark has a similar effect on intestinal peristalsis? (Gut motility and bile acid levels are hot issues for me with Saoirse.)

95. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Slippery elm makes a sort of gel/lubricant and doesn't actually reduce the acid, so it is ok and shouldn't slow anything down. The use of anti-acids can disrupt the stomach acid/bile system (they neutralize each other) and in people are NOT indicated for long term use, although they are often mis-used. Metoclopromide PRN is used in people with delayed stomach emptying and intestinal motility as it increases peristalsis, but it has nasty neurologic effects . In people, drinking small amounts of acidic things can actually reduce acid overall as it increases overall motility (ie. apple cider vinegar). If motility problems are originating in the lower GI and causing backup to the upper GI, then laxatives are probably the answer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  96. Critter Mom

Thank you, Meya, for all the additional information. I appreciate it very much. Saoirse has been on famotidine for a while now and I'd prefer to try to move her onto SEB. I give her pumpkin in her meals and now she's back on Lantus her GI transit time has thankfully gone back to normal but I worry about nutrient absorption (she has coat issues) and her bile acids were off in her last set of labs.

Indeed it does muck up the dopamine system. Our vet prescribed metoclopramide (aka Reglan) for Saoirse when she had the bad pancreatitis flare as he was reluctant to prescribe the ondansetron I had requested after getting the steer from Elise and Hellen. She was on it for a couple of weeks till I could persuade the vet to give me an Rx for ondansetron (which I was not one bit happy with, given its side effect profile and the fact that cats don't have many of the receptors it targets. :mad:) Part of his reluctance to prescribe was that none of his patients had been treated with it before, and the rest was down to price. He could only get Zofran from their wholesaler - retail of nearly £100 for 30 4g tablets. I was a bit annoyed about the latter because Saoirse's well-insured (plus I'd have found a way to pay for it if she hadn't been). Thanks to Tanya's Site I got in touch with a pharmacist who advised that cats tend to do better on the Bristol Laboratories generic than the branded drug anyway. I now get the Rx filled at a human pharmacy - vet's written Rx and the 30 tablets set me back less than £20.

Saoirse's head started to twitch after only the few weeks on metoclopramide. Thankfully the slight tic disappeared on discontinuation of the offending med. What annoyed me even more was that Saoirse was having major problems with diarrhoea and vomiting at the time: if she went more than 3 hours without eating she would get really painful vomiting bouts. That went down to 2½ hours on the metoclopramide. The last thing she needed was a med that sped up gastric emptying. :rolleyes: The other worrying thing is that metoclopramide can lower the seizure threshold. My vet reassured me that none of his other patients had had such a problem but the prospect of having a drug with such a side effect on top of giving insulin (and Caninsulin at that!) made me deeply, deeply uneasy. I was very relieved when I switched her to ondansetron. She did great on it; and it saved her life. :)

Mogs

(@Kristina - apologies for the slight frankenthread! :oops:)

97. Kristina

Kristina Member

It's always nice to see the shared information. I'm getting educated! Hoping to have all the meds on hand for when Brady returns home tonight. So happy :) Stopping by the store to get lysine, test strips and ketone strips.

Critter Mom likes this.
  98. Critter Mom

I can see your smile from way over here! :D

99. Kristina

Kristina Member

Here is one happy kitty (with scabby nose) finally at home. The steroids are working, but my work is undone - need to read and study all the information to make sure he doesn't relapse. :):cat:

Attached Files:

Critter Mom and Meya14 like this.
  100. Critter Mom

Oh, my! What a handsome boy!! :)

I'm delighted for you both that he's home and on the mend (anti-jinx, anti-jinx). Sending a little kiss better for Brady's nose. :cat:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.