? 9Lives Meaty Pate canned cat food... carbohydrates...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JohnZ, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi,
    Does anyone have any information on the carbohydrate counts of the 9Lives Meaty Pate canned cat food... I can't find anything.
    The reason I ask is that I can no longer find the 9Lives Dinner versions and am assuming (never good) that they were renamed to Meaty Pate (by 9Lives).
    I have concerns they may have a higher carbohydrate count... they seem to have a wetter consistency... almost gravy like (but clearer).
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Online calculator to get carbohydrate weight.
    Then use
    3.5 calories per gram of protein
    8.5 calories per gram of fat
    3.5 calories per gram of carbohydrate
    Use a weight of 100 grams and do the math to total the calories from each source.
    3.5 * ___ = A
    8.5 * ___ = B
    3.5 * ___ = C
    Finally, get the percent of total calories from each source
    A / total * 100
    B / total * 100
    C / total * 100

3. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks... now my head hurts :-}
    I'll have to try and understand how to apply this.
    Is it safe to rely on the results of online carbohydrate calculator?

Cat girl and Kate and Kloever like this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The pate's are all fine....Look on this Food Chart on page 16 for all the 9 Lives foods

5. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks for that...
    Whats confusing/concerning me is that the 9Lives Meaty Pate's are not actually listed in the Food Chart... example... 9Lives Meaty Pate With Real Ocean Whitefish.
    Is this the same as the Ocean Whitefish Dinner? It seems to have a wetter consistency (then the Dinners)... almost gravy like (but clearer)...
    I have concerns they may have a higher carbohydrate count.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you gone to the 9Lives website?

7. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Yes- can't find any reference at all to carbohydrate counts...
    They don't list the Dinners... but do list the Meaty Pate's...?

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Is there an option to send them a message online? you might do that and ask for the values on a dry matter basis, rather than the as fed basis.

Or, instead of getting hung up on the one food, check this list from Cat Info and pick something you can feed that you know is under 10% calories from carbohydrates..

9. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Looks like 9 Lives have reduced the protein content of their pates when they renamed them. And increased the carbs - only one flavor comes in under 10% now using the guaranteed analysis on their website:-
    Real Ocean Whitefish - 12%
    Real Ocean Whitefish and Tuna - 7%
    Seafood Platter 16%
    Tuna & Shrimp 12%
    Salmon 12%
    Beef 14%
    Liver & Bacon 12%
    Turkey & Giblets 12%
    Super Supper 12%
    Chicken, Lamb & Rice 14%
    Chicken 12%
    Chicken & Tuna 14%
    Chicken & Seafood 12%

10. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

OK- good suggestion- I just sent them a message- I'll let you know if they actually reply with any useful information on the carbohydrates.
    I guess I'll hold off on feeding him the 9Lives Meaty Pates for now (his favorite).
    Just a heads-up...this may actually eliminate all the 9lives canned food from being considered low carbohydrates... since the only 3 types now listed on their web site are:

Meaty Pate
    Hearty Cuts
    Tender Morsels

By the way- they seem to have eliminated the tuna favors!
    It's a shame the Cat Info list is so out dated...
    Thanks again!

11. manxcat419

I was just thinking the same thing. The one thing my 2 would eat if they were having an extra picky day was the tuna, though their regular food is Friskies pate, but I can't find that listed anywhere now. I guess I'm off to our local Walmart to buy up whatever they have left of the tuna before it disappears completely to give me some time to find an alternative.

12. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

This is great!
    Where did you get the numbers?
    What's the best way to let folks know that they should avoid 9lives canned food?

13. manxcat419

I used the guaranteed analysis from the 9 Lives website and this calculator http://scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html which gives the % of carbs by calorie value. It isn't always 100% perfect, but it gets pretty close to the listed values on the catinfo site for foods that we've got listed values for, so it does seem to be fairly accurate.

As to letting people know, I'm not so sure - it might be that it's a case of posting it on the forum and hoping people see it as the catinfo list doesn't seem to get updated any more.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Per Cat Info, you can add 1 ounce plain meat or poultry to 5 ounces of cat food, mix well and portion out to improve the protein:fat:carbohydrate ratios.

15. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thank You everyone.
    I'll post any reply I might get from 9Lives... and maybe start a new conversation if that information is of any value (like actual carbohydrate values from them).
    Thanks again!

manxcat419 likes this.
  16. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

I got a reply from 9Lives and a PDF file listing the nutritional levels (Typical Analysis), including carbohydrates, for all the 9Lives Canned Cat Food.
    The PDF file is attached.
    The carbohydrates are listed as both As Fed and as Dry Matter... the numbers seem too low... and much lower then the ones calculated by manxcat419... do they (the 9Lives numbers) need to be converted somehow?
    Also- is there a way to calculate the calorie % carbohydrate values so that a comparison can be made to the Cat Info data?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

17. manxcat419

What they've done with this is give you the values on a slightly different basis. What I had to do yesterday was use the guaranteed analysis values to calculate the % of calories from carbs. Using their "as fed" values, the carb numbers do look slightly better. When I put the Super Supper numbers into the calculator here http://scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html it came up as 9% carbs by calorie value which does bring it in just under the requirements for diabetic cats. It looks as though a number of the other flavors may also come in under the 10% using the new values they've given you. I haven't calculated them all as I only just saw your message, but some of them can certainly go back on the menu based on those as fed values. :)

18. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Yes, there is. :)

On the Cat Info chart the fourth column in ('C') gives the percentage of calories from carbs (on a wet matter basis).
    To do the same calculation with the data you have you do this:

Using the Scheyderweb online calculator above put in the 'As Fed' figures you have for moisture, protein, fat, fibre and ash. (This data is near the top of your table, just below the yellow lines).
    This calculation will show you the total calories per 100g food, and also how many of those calories come from carbs.

Then, to get the percentage of calories from carbs you grab a calculator and do this:
    Divide the calories from carbs per 100g by the total calories per 100g; and then multiply by 100. Voila!

Note: If the food has close to 100 calories per 100g of food then you don't need to do this last little calculation. That's because the calories from carbs per 100g and the percentage of calories from carbs will be the same. If there is more/less than 100 calories per 100g then it is worth doing this last calculation.

Eliz

JohnZ likes this.
  19. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thank you so much for this.

I'm still a little confused (I'm always confused!)... not sure how to handle the second part of the calculation.

Do I use the Wet Matter Carbohydrates value under the Calories per 100g of nutrient column and divide that by the Calories per 100g of food value and then times that by 100 to get the final percentage of calories from carbs (on a wet matter basis)?

For example- using the numbers for the first 9Lives canned cat food- Super Supper... I get a Wet Matter Carbohydrates value under the Calories per 100g of nutrient column of 5... I would then divide that by the Calories per 100g of food value of 109... which equals .04587155963... and then times that by 100... which equals 4.587155963...

For a final percentage of calories from carbs (on a wet matter basis) of 4.6 (rounded off)...

Correct? Seems too low... but maybe not...? What do you think?

Thanks!
    John

Cat girl likes this.
  20. manxcat419

Yes, a little under 5%. Now I'm not sure where I got the 9% from yesterday - the calculator clearly shows it as 5 so I can only assume I typo'd one of the numbers. And as I only checked one flavor instead of all of them as I had the day before from the guaranteed analysis, I didn't compare it to the others or I'd have seen that one was a long way off from all the others.

21. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Is the Scheyderweb online calculator available as an Excel spreadsheet?

That way it could also calculate the percentage of calories from carbohydrates...

Also... if someone hasn't done it already... I could do a bulk processing of all the 9Lives Canned Cat foods from the PDF file they sent me (I can extract out that data)... I would need to know the calculations used and apply them to the data.

This would save much time over having to enter all that information by hand (but will still take some time to set up).

The results could then be posted.

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The calculator gives you the calories for each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate, plus the total calories, from 100 grams.
    Divide each source by total calories * 100 to get the percent.

Should be pretty easy to set up the spreadsheet.

23. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

What I would like to avoid is using the calculator and just have the spreadsheet do all the number crunching (on the raw data from the 9Lives PDF.. which I can extract out and put into the spreadsheet).

In order to do that I would need a formula (to apply to the above data) to preform the calculations... that's where I'm getting hung up... I don't know what the formula is...?

Does that make sense?

24. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi John,

I have an Excel spreadsheet I can email you if you wish. It has my calculations on it but you can write over them; and you will be able to see the formulas in it).

But the formula for wet food is this:
    1. First, add up the analysis percentages for protein, fat, ash, fiber and moisture. Then deduct the total from 100. That will give you the percentage of carbohydrate by weight.

2. Then to get the calories from each of the food elements you multiply;
    Protein x 3.5
    Fat x 8.5
    Carbohydrate x 3.5

This tells you how many calories for each of the food elements in 100g of food.
    The total of those will give you the total calories per 100g food.

3. Then to get the percentage of calories from carbs you divide the 'calories from carbs per 100g' by the 'total calories per 100g' and then multiply by 100.

(I think that's it.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong....)

JohnZ likes this.
  25. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You've got it right.

26. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks Eliz!

I finally understand- I must be a bit slow :)

And yes- your spreadsheet would be very helpful- thanks for offering... do you need anything from me to sent it?

And thanks to everyone else... I think I can now put that list together.

John

27. Elizabeth and Bertie

Have sent you a message, John. :)

28. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi Everyone,

I applied the calculations discussed here (thanks everyone!) to the 9Lives nutritional levels (Typical Analysis)...

Listed below are the sorted results of the calorie % from carbohydrates (on a wet matter basis) of all the 9Lives wet canned food (they now have 3 kinds- Meaty Pate, Tender Morsels and Hearty Cuts)...

These numbers, which are based on the latest 9Lives data (that they sent me), can/should probably be used instead of the old/outdated numbers (for 9Lives) in the Cat Info chart (calorie %, column 'C').

Someone may want to spot check me on one or two these... just to make sure I got them right (I applied the same Excel formula to them all to get the results)...

Thanks again.

3 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Chicken
    3 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Ocean Whitefish
    4 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Turkey & Giblets
    4 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Chicken & Tuna
    4 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Flaked Tuna in Sauce
    4 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Chicken & Seafood
    4 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, Seafood Platter
    4 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, Super Supper
    5 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Beef
    5 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Salmon
    5 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, Tuna & Shrimp
    5 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Ocean White fish & Tuna
    6 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Liver & Chicken
    6 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Liver & Bacon
    8 % - 9Lives, Meaty Pate, With Real Chicken Lamb & Rice
    10 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Tuna & Egg Bits in Sauce
    10 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Tuna & Cheese Bits in Sauce
    19 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Turkey & Cheese in Gravy
    20 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Turkey & Giblets in Sauce
    20 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Turkey, Chicken, & Cheese in Gravy
    20 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels Real Turkey & Chicken in Sauce
    20 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Turkey in Gravy
    21 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Salmon in Sauce
    22 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Chicken & Salmon in Gravy
    22 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Veal in Gravy
    23 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Chicken in Sauce
    24 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Chicken & Fish in Gravy
    25 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Beef in Sauce
    25 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Ocean Whitefish & Tuna in Gravy
    25 % - 9Lives, Tender Morsels With Real Ocean Whitefish & Tuna in Sauce
    25 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Beef in Gravy
    26 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Chicken in Gravy
    27 % - 9Lives, Hearty Cuts With Real Beef & Chicken in Gravy

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  29. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Quick check - you did it as calories per gram, correct?
    Ie
    3.5 calories per gram * grams of protein
    8.5 calories per gram * grams of fat
    3.5 calories per gram * grams of carbohydrate

30. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Yes- sure did...

31. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

If it would be helpful- I'll post the actual Excel formula I used a little later... have to go shopping now...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I was checking because I hadn't clarified that the calculations were in grams earlier. (Sorry!)

33. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Could someone spot check me on one or two of these... just to make sure I got them right... it would be greatly appreciated. Anyone find the list of any use?

34. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Would you import the spreadsheet to Google Sheets, then Publish to the web and share the link?

Thanks.

35. Elizabeth and Bertie

I can check some, John, if I can have the 'analysis' data.

Thanks for doing this. And I'm sure it will be of use to folks...:cat:

manxcat419 likes this.
  36. manxcat419

It's definitely useful John - thank you for calculating them all. I've bought 9 Lives before (especially the tuna varieties for their extra-picky days and some of the others if our local store is running low on some of the Friskies flavors) so it's great to be able to see which ones are still good to buy. :)

37. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sure- no problem- hope I did it correctly- please let me know- here's the link-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bBTvuMYcf37txfujsfsR0FKvXNd9KrY586FpaIeOMdQ/pubhtml

Also- here's the actual Formula (based on calculations provided by BJM and Elizabeth- thanks!) I came up with and applied (which you can get to in the spreadsheet)-

=(((100-SUM(B23:B27))*3.5)/((B24*3.5)+(B25*8.5)+((100-SUM(B23:B27))*3.5)))*100

Where-

B23 = Moisture

B24 = Protein

B25 = Fat

B26 = Fiber

B27 = Ash

Calorie % Carbs is calculated automated.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  38. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sure and Thanks!

Please see attached (PDF data from 9Lives) and also my last post replying to PJM...

:)

Attached Files:

39. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Something is wrong with the link.
    Try File, Publish to Web, then File, Share and grab the link for the second step.

40. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

41. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Nope. Still not working.
    How about downloading it as an Excel file, then attaching it to the post here.

42. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Sure thing... attached...

Attached Files:

43. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think folks might like to have the full profile for protein, fat, and carbohydrate calorie percents, as sometimes they want a bit more protein or a little less fat for their cats.

44. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Did you spot check me on one or two of these (Calorie % Carbs calculation)... just to make sure I got them right?

Good suggestion on adding the additional information... I'll do that as soon as I can...

Meanwhile- please spot check me on one or two of these (Calorie % Carbs calculation)... just to make sure I got them right...

Thanks!
    :coffee:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  45. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi Eliz,

Have you had a chance to double check me on a copy of these (sorry if I'm being a pain). Want to be sure that I'm not posting erroneous data (in the listing)... :nailbiting:

Thanks!

John

46. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its looking good, so far. I re-arranged it and have uploaded it. I'll let you add in the percent calories from protein and fat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  47. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Wow... thanks! :)

48. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I've uploaded it in the previous post for you to complete.
    When you upload it into Google Drive Sheets, have it convert it into their format.

49. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks- looks great- I like the format- good job!

I'm going to change the heading for the nutrient values from Can Label to Nutrient Levels... the reason being is that the values imported are the typical analysis values from the 9Lives PDF file and not the min/max values from the can label... the values do differ quite a bit (just checked)... it's my understanding that the typical analysis values are more exact... does that make sense?

I will add the additional data... hopefully within the next couple of days or so and upload it.

Thanks!

John

50. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'd label them Typical Analysis, then, possibly with a footnote or a page explaining any terms.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  51. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Let it be said, let it be done!

52. kmacat

kmacat New Member

Was just going to post a question on here about 9 Lives and saw this thread. After the new can designs, I noticed they added "brewer's rice" to the flavors that I buy. I was worried that this would increase the carbohydrate content, but after viewing this thread it looks the carb content has even gone down (at least the Meaty Pate varieties, not sure about the others) on some the flavors as compared to the chart from catinfo.org. Is this correct?

53. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Yes- I believe they are- they were calculated using the latest typical analysis I had received directly from 9Lives... I'm feeding the Meaty Pate's the my diabetic cat with good results (blood glucose wise).

54. kmacat

kmacat New Member

Great, thanks! I buy a 48-can variety box, and it does have 12 of the "Hearty Cuts With Real Turkey in Gravy". That 20% number is concerning.

55. manxcat419

The "in-gravy" foods are generally the ones we use as high carb to deal with numbers that drop low. We wouldn't usually suggest feeding them on a regular basis to a diabetic cat because of the carb content.

56. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hopefully the other 36 cans are Meaty Pate's... I would stick with them. :)

manxcat419 likes this.
  57. kmacat

kmacat New Member

Yeah. The other 36 cans are Meaty Pates thankfully. I do buy in bulk because I have two others cats, aside from my diabetic cat, and canned food is all I feed them. 2 of the cats have had urinary blockages in their lifetimes (one actually had to have p/u surgery), and I would rather feed foods like 9 Lives than any type of "premium" dry food ever again.

58. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

I finally got some time to try and complete this... but no success...

I've spent a good few hours now and just can't rework my excel formula for carbohydrate calorie percent to work for Protein and Fat calorie percentage... :banghead:

I see that you're really really good with excel... would you mind helping? It sure would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe I/you can finally get this uploaded into Google Drive Sheets.

Thanks and Happy 4th!

59. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Updated Excel chart attached.

Attached Files:

60. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thank you so much- you are very kind and generous! :)

I updated the heading for the nutrient values from Can Label to Typical Analysis and added a Footnote per your suggestion. Also changed the file name.

New file attached for your review.

Attached Files:

61. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Looks good. It is ready either to post a link to a Google Sheets version of the file, or as an attachment.

62. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

63. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Um, almost there. When you upload it to Google Sheets, you want it to convert to Sheets, not stay in Excel. The current link asks me if I want to download it only and not everyone has Excel.

And yes, go ahead and make a new post.

64. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi BJM!

Finally getting back to this- sorry for the long delay- life has been insane. Anyway- I'm trying to get this spreadsheet uploaded to Google Sheets and convert it to Sheets (so I can share it with the Forum)- but not having any luck :banghead:
    Can you explain how to do do it? Sure would be appreciated!
    Hopefully I'll finally get it uploaded today.

Thanks!

65. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I can see Derek's spreadsheet OK here, with data up to and including 12 August.

66. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It seems to be working just fine. Just note that the link in your signature is read only, so when you want to enter data, you must log into Drive, then open the sheet.

67. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  68. pandabur

pandabur Member

So glad I found this post, I just noticed that the cans i bought in a pate pack have brewers rice, which is not in the cans that are at the store... Does anyone know when they started adding the rice? I'm hoping that it will not make Lee's BG spike, like it did with Friskies as it had rice in it, even though it was low carb. Anyone in the Seattle area want my stash if it does?

69. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Just did a quick check- my cans also have brewers rice listed... bought them in the 4-packs- I've been feedi
    Just did a quick check on some of my cans and they also have brewers rice listed... bought them in the 4-packs at Walmart and Shoprite.

I've been feeding these to Derek and all my other cats with no issues. Hopefully they'll be OK for Lee...

Hope this helps...?

You might want to check out this new thread I started on 9Lives...

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...pdated-carbohydrate-nutritional-chart.143106/

70. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Small amounts of rice may be used to thicken the mixture. Check where it is listed in the ingredients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.