Air Bubble in Syringe After Pull

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by toomanycats, Feb 12, 2020.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I searched but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I want to make sure I'm handling this correctly -- I pretty much always overdraw my dose so I can push some out, but I realized this morning that that doesn't always get rid of all the air & may have thrown off some of my doses. So, I hope I'm doing this right? I still overdrew, flicked the syringe to get the air bubble to the top, pushed to try to get some out, wound up having to pull a little more insulin back in, flick, and push/wiggle again til the air seemed to be gone.

Any trick to NOT pull an air bubble? It's really frustrating when you're measuring a tiny dose! IDK how you'd even handle it if you were trying to pull a tinier dose!

I'm pulling from a Lantus pen

Sonia & Leo and LilTurkey like this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Try making sure you push the barrel of the syringe right in and hold it in before you withdraw the insulin.
    I few tiny bubbles often happens. Ignore them.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I definitely do that too - I pump it a couple times before pushing it all the way in, inserting, and pulling. I'm mostly worried about air bubbles messing up dosage

Darcy and Jonesy and Sonia & Leo like this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If the bubbles are tiny it should be fine.
    You aren’t shaking the insulin bottle are you?
    I found trying to push out bubbles very frustrating and always tried to pull up the correct dose without having to make any adjustments.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I never was able to solve the bubble issue and stopped trying if there was a small bubble. I would draw up a little more than I needed and try get rid of the excess as I got rid of a drop of insulin but only if the bubble was bigger.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  6. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

No I don't shake the pen (I'm pulling from a SolStar pen into a syringe) nor do I inject air into the pen.
    I do flick the syringe after the pull to get the air to the top near the needle to wiggle it out.

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I can’t think of anything else you can do. Hopefully others may have another solution. It’s frustrating I know.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

After flicking a few times, pull more air into the syringe and flick some more. A lot of times those little air bubbles will go up into the "new" air bubble and then you can remove all the excess air.

10. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I second Chris' suggestion. Works like a charm. l

Si am cat mom likes this.
  11. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Aaaahh! I will try this! thank you!!