? Alice 6/11 AMPS 132 and surgery tomorrow (???)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Jun 11, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/alice-6-10-amps-300-pmps-236.215506/

+3.5 189
    +7.5 154

If the other human will be home, I sleep during the day some so I can be up at night with Alice if I need to. (I might have tested at somewhat different times if it were me but I’ll gladly take the help. :) )

Tonight I will be fasting Alice starting at midnight. Do I still give her her insulin? DKA was only two months ago but she has gained and improved a LOT. Her usual dose time would be at 9. But I won’t be able to feed her during nadir. Would a smaller dose of insulin be advisable?

And the vet (haven’t talked directly to me vet but I will get clarity on this) wants me to bring her insulin for after surgery I guess? Buuuuut as was pointed out to me, this would throw her shot time off. Could they give her something like a half dose after surgery? I am waiting to decide on this also to find out how long surgery would take and so on.... if she took half her dose three hours late, for example, could she resume a regular dose at some point tomorrow night? So many things I just don’t know.

What is the risk of post-surgical infection for cats like? Will deep cleaning her room prior to her coming home, and scooping litter twice a day and providing clean towels all be enough?

To some people she is “just a cat” but to me this is the same as if it were my mother or spouse or child. But then I think, I bet the vet isn’t as sterile as an OR for a human, and humans get terrible infections post-surgery, sometimes........

She’s got this beautiful deep snore going right now. <3

2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

It's gonna be a big day tomorrow for you and little Alice! Will be thinking of you both :bighug::bighug:
    You're a wonderful mamma, trying to think of everything for your little girl!
    Sending a ton of positive vines ! :):bighug:

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Vet recommended I give her her full dose of insulin about an hour late tonight then they can give her insulin after she is awake and eating around +13 then...... thoughts, anyone?

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for tomorrow's surgery. I think it will depend on what her PMPS is on whether to give a full dose or not. If the vet gives insulin after the surgery will they be testing? How soon will you be able to pick her up?

5. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Wishing you and Alice tons of vines and best of luck tomorrow. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

As Chris pointed out on another post, if I set her time too far back it would cause my AM shoots to be delayed for days. This matters because I rely on help from the other human in the mornings so I can catch up on rest because I take the night shift with the animals......

I plan on bringing my meter for them to use and already encouraged my vet to test her regularly and often. I will be nearby some during the day and may go check in on her myself, too. Her blood sugar will be checked or else. They don’t want me calling every hour. Hahahaha. :p

I plan to leave her there for the day, and pick her up between 5-6pm.

7. carfurby (GA)

As long as they are testing, it should be okay for the vet to give insulin. One hour isn't hard to get back on track from.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I've heard that anesthesia can have an effect of lowering the BG. I've heard this with dentals.
    I might caution the vet to give her so much if her BG is this, and so much if her BG is that.
    I mean, what if she is not as hungry as normal because of the surgery, at PMPS?

9. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Well the vet had suggested I delay an hour tonight then she would be delayed maybe one extra hour for a total of two ish hours from usual shot time. But morning CG who lets me try to sleep has a schedule some days, and is also the best at giving her shots. So 11am for shot time is less convenient even though I already stay up all random hours at night so I don’t mind the later PM time........

Regardless, went ahead and did her shot at the +12 of 9pm tonight, not 10.....

Is there a reason she couldn’t have say, half her dose later, post surgery, tomorrow, and have her insulin at PM when she is home with me without waiting a full and proper +11.5..... maybe a +11 for PM dose? Or would that just throw her completely out of whack? Maybe it’s just easier for everyone if she skipped just the AM dose completely and went back to regular schedule.

I make things too complicated sometimes. I’m sure........

10. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

I would be hesitant to do two doses in much less than 11 hours, even if the first was a partial dose--especially since you don't know how her appetite will be, as Dyana mentioned. But I really don't know what to advise you. Hopefully the numbers will guide you.

I will be thinking of you both all day, and I'm looking forward to hearing that sweet Alice is home safe with her momma and on the mend. When young cats are spayed, they usually bounce back so fast it's astonishing--Alice has so much healing mojo going on lately, maybe she'll do exactly the same.
    :bighug::cat::bighug:

11. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Right now I’m just nervous and feeling bad about cutting off all food and water in about 40 minutes. :arghh: She’s getting a Sheba portion before that cutoff, for sure.

It sounds probably best that she just skip her AM dose tomorrow, from everything I’ve considered so far....... I think with this much progress post-DKA, that missing one shot even in the circumstances isn’t going to ruin her, plus I know that depot will still be at work.
    :)

12. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I'm going to tag some people and hope they see this even thought it is late. @Wendy&Neko @Bron and Sheba @Marje and Gracie I can't think of anyone else right now.

We allow water after midnight for surgery patients. Just no food. Just some thoughts. I don't want you to go against your vet though.

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m not the best person to ask because I use a board certified veterinary anesthesiologist who does not have me withhold water and usually has me feed a half portion of food three hours before anesthesia as she says it helps kitties do better. However, she monitors much, much more closely than routine vets.

My best advice is to follow what your vet has told you to do.

Insofar as insulin, if you haven’t made other arrangements with your vet prior to tonight, I’d follow the instructions you were given. If the vet uses alflaxalone to induce, the BG shouldn’t drop low in the evening but not a lot of vets are up on this drug. Other drugs can potentially drop the BG, even after the anesthesia has been stopped and the kitty gone home, to the extent that the evening dose can’t be given.

Good luck tomorrow!

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Marje has answered your question.
    All the best to Alice for the surgery tomorrow. I'm sure it will go well, but it is always an anxious time until it is over.
    I'll be thinking of you both.

15. carfurby (GA)

Sending prayers everything goes well today.
    This can mess with the depot and cause numbers to get out of whack. I would advice not to do this.

16. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I'm a bit late to this thread. Just want to wish you luck.

When my PJ was spayed, she had a cone. She became very depressed and kept getting her foot stuck in it (she only has 3 2/2 legs) and then couldn't stand it walk.

What I did was take a long sleeve t-shirt, cut one sleeve off, cut holes for front legs and made a shirt for her. When she tried to lick her stitches she just end up licking the shirt instead. It also allowed air to get stitched as it wasn't bound at the bottom. Here is a pic, she is a tiny girl, just topped 5 lbs at 7 months. This vet wouldn't do the surgery unless she was 5 lbs.
    20170323_130246.jpg

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good luck today! :bighug:

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would hope that your vet intends to test prior to giving a dose of insulin. Anesthesia can lower BG numbers. I was shoveling HC into Gabby after a dental. From the perspective of what the numbers look like and how often they will test, I'd discuss this with your vet. Granted, they can always put your kitty on a dextrose drip if numbers tank, I do think it's something that's preventable.

19. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you all! I just left after dropping her off and talking to the vet for a few minutes. It’s closer to a family member’s house so I’m hanging out with family and trying to distract myself.

Vet ran me through meds and anesthesia last night and I took notes but didn’t want to interrupt her to spell every medicine I could not hear well. So they are likely spelt wrong, please feel free to correct.

“Two incisions
    Pain meds:
    Telazol low dose pre-med
    Gas anesthesia sevoflurane and oxygen
    IV
    Shot of ketafin lower dose after lasts 12 hours
    Pain med after onseior
    IV Catheter in place during procedure
    Plain oxygen before extubation”

Also, yes they do plan to test her glucose prior to surgery. They are doing blood panel beforehand as well. She will receive fluids.
    I made the decision to simply skip AM cycle dosing. She was already bouncing somewhere after +7 which was happy green, to +11 in the pink.

@Olive & Paula I love that! I am wondering though how that would work for her with the tissue being removed on her belly too..... hmm.

20. Olive & Paula

The "shirt" never touched her belly. Since the sleeve is shaped (bigger at armpit than wrist) it was loose around belly. When she walked or stood the bottom would sag just a bit. The one I used had a narrow cuff, more like a hemmed sleeve. I used that end for her head. I left it on her for 7 days so we didn't have to struggle with her risking ripping sutures. No back end so she could use the box. And I could check the site easily. She got use to it in a few hrs. I actually think she liked it myself. Here are other pics day 3 & 4 after surgery. It worked for her. 20170323_132248.jpg 20170325_162710.jpg

21. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you for expanding on that!!! I think I will try it after a couple days of cone. Will give me a chance to look for the right shirt.......
    Also oh goodness the adorable!!!!! :cat:

22. Olive & Paula

PJ became quite depressed with the cone. It made her more disabled than she already was. She couldn't walk with it or eat. Her best friend Tux wouldn't have anything to do with her. All she did was cry and try to snuggle with him. She couldn't get up on the bed with us. And when she got her only back leg stuck in it, it just had to come off.

23. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Oh poor baby.

24. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Short update: there were some ovarian cysts as well. She is out of surgery and recovering as of an hour ago.

25. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad the surgery is over. I hope the cysts aren't cancer. Sending prayers. I hope she has a quick recovery. :bighug::bighug:

26. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Such a good idea Paula!! Something to remember!

27. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

At least now, it's over and she's recovering! Hope to have more good news!

28. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I’m glad this is all over now, hopefully everything is benign and you can move on from this this stressful time. :)

29. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Will be making new post for today’s date now. :) She’s weak and it’s making me so sad and her stitches are gnarly....... but she had stuff out and she needed it out.

30. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

So cute little girl!! Lovely pictures!