Alice 7/15 PMPS 112 +2 140, AMPS 282, slept all night in bed <3, good morning pic

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Jul 15, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

AMPS 282, wish she would get back in the water
    But she had a beautiful night curled up in my bed
    And tomorrow she turns 13!!!!! Teenager cat!!! <3

944864AB-7305-4E06-A22C-F1FE7998E086.jpeg

I think I am going to look at meats at a grocery for her. What do I pick out? I have been vegetarian (or vegan) for nearly two decades now. I have never really regularly prepared meat in my adult life. Except for the canned wet food. I don’t think that counts as preparing meat.
    I looked at Sprouts yesterday but it was all fish and cow meats in their fancy little deli. She has trouble with fish. She manages okay on chickens. She used to eat a lamb-based dry food but I don’t know how to find lamb meat, I bet I could find deer meats around here if I looked harder. No rabbits. Rabbits are my furbabies too so we don’t feed them. I thought I could make her a little meat cake with pumpkin, and a light plain yogurt “frosting”...... she loves yogurt, and probiotics could be helpful. Let’s call it a small amount of MC. :b

Chances are like most years I’ll end up sick/busy tomorrow. :b

I’m just glad she has made it this far. <3

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

She's so adorable. Love the picture. Nice on getting sleep last night. I'm not sure about the meat. Maybe ask at the deli counter and see if they have any chicken or turkey.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

What a nice post and what a lovely picture! She looks so good! She must have had a good night sleep in your bed....
    You can always get some chicken at the grocery (thighs or breast) and simmer it until cooked! Put it in small pieces and keep some in the fridge and freeze the rest!
    We'll get ready for her birthday tomorrow!! :)

4. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't have any advice, but what a cute photo! Happy Early Birthday, Alice!!

5. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

What a cutie baby!! Alice looks better and better :) I’m glad you were able to finally get a good nights rest. I hope you get the same tonight.

Have a great day Cassandra :)

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I just looked at your SS.... how are you doing this 1 & 1/8 unit dose? I’ve been wondering if Alice’s sweet spot dose right now might be between 2 and 2.25......
    Hope you have a nice day, too! :)

AmandaE likes this.
  7. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I was hoping to get a small deli cut instead of something pre-packaged..... maybe I can check one of the organic natural foods stores though for something nice even if packaged.

What method of cooking will make my home smell the least meaty?

I don’t have a lot of prep space either, so I was mostly just trying to think of how to find a one day only portion? Can I bake it? How long do I cook it for? Meat is so confusing. So much more to worry about..... and more disease. Shudder. :p

8. AmandaE

It’s very visual, I’m currently looking into callipers but (weird brag) I have really great eyesight and have been eyeballing halfway between my 0.25 and full unit dose, basically I bring the plunger up to *just* under the bottom of the 1u line so that I can see a little gap there. I use the same reference points each time so that I am as consistent as the label marks allow me to be. The syringes I use have a bad rep for inconsistent lines so I think that is another case for callipers.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm glad you and your cutie pie got a good night's sleep, it shows, she's looking gorgeous and well rested. I wish you another good one tonight so you can celebrate Alice's 13th birthday tomorrow! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Is there any chance you can get a pic of it? I can’t get seem to get my phone to focus on my syringes well enough to get good dose photos..... are there example pics that exist in the world? Lol! I am nearsighted so actually without my glasses I manage to be able to see up close fairly well.... for now (give it a few years). I feel like I don’t know how to judge it. I think a “fat” 2u of some sort would really do her well for a few days. .....

11. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

if you cook meat, house will smell! If you can find organic deli chicken, that would probably be the best!

12. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

do you have an electric slow-cooker? if so, could you plug it in outside? downwind, so the odor doesn't drift inside?

or a friend or neighbor who could cook up a whole batch, for you, seal portions up individually, keep most in the freezer, allow bagged portion to defrost in fridge?

maybe someone who'd like to have the broth resulting from it? boneless skinless chicken thighs (to me) don't smell much after stewing -- actually I have to sprinkle Romano cheese or bonito flakes on them, or Catcat doesn't seem to smell them, doesn't see the plain chicken as "food"

13. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

She is SO cute :kiss:

14. AliceMeowliss (GA)

You know... I guess it does need to smell for her to want to eat it!
    Your comment helped me think of a friend whom I could ask who would understand if I asked her to cook Alice something. My nurse friend I always talk to about Alice.... she has a hairless cat named Dermis. Lol!
    I wish I had the shipping monies, I have been thinking I wish I could just send you these bonito flakes I have!!

Hope you and Catcat are having a pleasant day. :)

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

At +3.33 I got home and was able to check on Alice, she said she had enough of the hospital visit while I was gone and she went back to laying in the beach sand in my bed.

(Poor indoor/outdoor cat who uses this room wants to be in today after not wanting indoors last night! And I have to shut her out of the bedroom so the two don’t fight. Wahhhh! I have cat guilt. Why can’t they all get along so I can let them do everything they want and they can all have me? :p Majyk is the reason Alice only has one good test ear.)

16. CandyH & Catcat

LOL at "Dermis" for a hairless cat -- a Sphynx? ..

cats don't feel guilt -- as far as I can see -- only momentary shame -- they certainly feel possessive though, rub against whatever proclaiming MINE!!!!

(and won't share! unless the opposition is deemed to be "one of us" )

17. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Yep! The calipers are used because the lines on the syringes are not consistently accurate. So even if you have great eyesight you may be giving a different dose from one shot to the next.

AmandaE likes this.
  18. AmandaE

Totally! even if I use the lines I could be as well! It's amazon prime days so I have a list of things I'm looking at :D

19. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Awww, and early Happy Birthday to Alice. Only thing to keep in mind is some deli meat has added sugar and almost all are pretty salty unless you find low sodium. At least the pre packaged ones will tell you if added sugar.. a little jar of chicken, turkey or beef flavor baby food is a nice tasty treat, check label some have start starch, but many are just meat and broth or water. No ham flavor, too salty.

20. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I've been feeding my cats a Raw meat diet since they were kittens. I've never had a problem with the RAW meat. "Cats particularly need high levels of meat protein and do best when fed a variety of meats over the course of a week. Raw meat is beneficial because cooking can destroy some of the essential minerals, for example, the taurine needed by cats. When food is cooked, it’s important to add these elements in supplement form. "

In the beginning I added several supplements to the raw meat now I use "ALNUTRIN" Supplement. I started out with a tiny pinch of the powder & worked up gradually to the amount suggested so they get the correct amount of supplements. There are other Products you can try. Some of the people on the forum feed raw
    You can inquire how they like the supplement they use. Or you can just buy an already prepared Raw diet. " Rad Cat Raw Diet" is a balanced and complete free-range and organic raw food formulated exclusively for cats. Feeding your felines like the carnivores they are.

I became vegetarian 20 years ago so I could " afford " to buy meat for my kitties! They are Obglitate carnivores I am not

Dr. Karen Becker is a very educated & well know Veterinarian. http://www.drkarenbecker.com/DVM/

(A long time ago, before she became "Famous", she was my Veterinarian)

If you have time Please watch this video about feeding a cat It's very Informative:

21. CandyH & Catcat

you're in Oklahoma, surely there is a butcher shop which specializes in preparing the meat for those who hunt for food
    talk to them about alternate sources -- they may be able to find something that fits your budget but doesn't offend sensibilities

I have one of those, less than half a mile away -- let me see if they know of anyone in your area -- they also get specialty meats, from alligator to ostrich

22. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She’s a nurse. She knows her medical terms. Dermis. :p:D

Momentary shame in cats is real: didn’t stick that landing did you, kitty? -what? I don’t know what you’re talking about! I’m cool.....

23. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Are all brands like this??

Whaaaaa! Are calipers expensive? I don’t have Prime and it makes me so sad. :p

24. AliceMeowliss (GA)

By deli I think I meant raw cuts...? They have sugar added?

25. CandyH & Catcat

no, it wasn't me that knocked the plant off the TV -- :smuggrin::rolleyes::blackeye::cat:

some day I'll have to tell the story about the house fire started by cats playing with matches
    the fire chief said that, initially, in jest, but it IS what really happened

26. AliceMeowliss (GA)

You’d think I would know this, but no, I haven’t eaten meat since I was a teenager and I guess I am a “city girl” if you ask anyone in a smaller town. At this point I doubt I would have time to search one out today.... but maybe in future. I figured at some point maybe I could find someone to grind up meats and do a homemade diet, especially if it is cheaper.... maybe I can go to farmers market tomorrow afternoon! :D

At some point I need to figure out what Alice’s food intolerances are. She tolerates chicken but I don’t think it is best. Fish is a problem. I think turkey is a problem too. She ate lamb dry food for many years. What do people feed when kitty has IBD? We suspect it’s possible she has at least a little of irritable bowel.

27. CandyH & Catcat

unfortunately yes, some of them do -- water, salt, MSG (monosodium glutamate), and yes, even sugar, can be injected into them "for taste"

28. AliceMeowliss (GA)

One of my best friends is a firefighter about to retire.... no joke, his first call was actually to get a cat out of a tree. They are supposed to filter those calls out.
    I’ve started a couple of house fires. That makes me a cat too, right?

29. AliceMeowliss (GA)

@JoyBee&Ravan , I would be interested in working home-prepared foods in, but time, illness, money, and a terrible kitchen are barriers. I read Dr. Lisa’s recipe stuff and when it called for meat grinding...... nope. :( I just don’t have enough budget at once to buy more than a few cans at a time usually so for now it will have to wait. :\

Oh also would agree on a variety of sources likely being best—humans are better off that way too.... but Alice needs a restricted diet because some things don’t digest well for her.....

30. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Things injected into meat, Candy? Uggghhhh that sounds like dystopian sci-fi creepy bad. :p

Maybe I’ll buy my friend some lunch meat and steal a piece instead of all these fancy meat cake ideas. :confused::facepalm:

31. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Alice came down to the water for nadir, see the gentle waves in the bed?
    She’s back to her favorite pastime: laying in bed and doing nothing. :cat: :D F3AEFFB3-A458-4069-ADAF-86D8507231A6.jpeg

....she’s in my spot!!!

32. CandyH & Catcat

makes me wonder too, if there is a kosher butcher anywhere near you; I was living out northwest of OKC as a preteen and don't remember any such, we had to walk down to 50th or even 39th to get groceries (only one car, so my mom and I toted two kraft grocery bags apiece, one on each hip)

let me Google things and see -- we have natural pet food stores here, just found out one carrying Tiki Cat is only a mile away -- must go see what they carry

33. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Raw, no. Sorry, deli to me means, cooked, sliced processed meat. Here the raw meat is in a separate case from what we call the deli. Disregard if you are talking raw.

34. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thanks for clarifying! Think.... meat counter.... cuts of meat, some grocery deli prepared patties of things maybe, but not processed otherwise.

35. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She’s hanging out in the water, PMPS was 112, +2 is 140, and I also felt well enough this evening to clean the house some so yay. :)

0B0C63A6-3BAA-48C2-86A7-024DD7D9488B.jpeg

carfurby (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  36. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

She is a cutie.

Deli meat will be high in sodium and preservatives.

Frozen meat section in grocery store would be better. You still need to read package that it's not in a solution.

37. CandyH & Catcat

unfortunately yes, there can be all of those things injected into raw meat, I know the chicken breasts from Costco have water and salt included, if nothing else, that's why I suggested you talk with, or email, a butcher, as they could custom-cut what you need, or grind a mixture for you -- wish you were closer!

this is what I'm talking about: http://www.stewartsmeatmarket.com/freshmeats/petfood.html

and yes, you can even order online from them ... though shipping this time of year would be outrageous

38. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I don’t think I will worry about it tomorrow!!! (Will be something to plan ahead for in some future.) All grand plans with good intentions, she will be happy and I will have the other human draw her a picture and she will have pumpkin and Sheba snacks and be loved. And alive.

39. CandyH & Catcat

yes, she is loved (they all are) :kiss::bighug::cat::cat:

40. AliceMeowliss (GA)

+5.25 102...... hmm. She’s sleeping next to me tonight though.

41. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's all kinds of butchers in Oklahoma....do a Google search and find one that sells lamb (most of them do) and call them and tell them what you're wanting to do (get something for a cat)

When they trim the primals, there's always scraps (although a lot of places turn the scraps into sausage) but it can't hurt to ask if they'd sell you some (or maybe even donate a little to a good cause!...LOL)