Alpha trak 2 meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lizzey and Errol, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzey and Errol

Lizzey and Errol Member

Tonight when I was getting Errols BG read he was low at 49, as I didn't get too much blood when I did the test and I didn't think it was going to work but I didn't want to poke him again. It took the meter awhile to pick up his blood and then I got a low reading. I gave him wet food with honey and checked again 20 minutes later and he had gone up to 163. I will be checking him again before I go to bed but I was just curious to know if I got the low reading from not having enough blood and maybe the meter pick up on the artificial tears I use to move his fur? I know this may sound stupid and I know the meter is always right but i was just curious if this has happened to anyone else? And if a spike that high in 20 minutes is normal? I'm still new on all of this..

2. Lizzey and Errol

Lizzey and Errol Member

Also here is his readings from the past week.

Attached Files:

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

This is totally possible....You shouldn't use the artificial tears because it's could dilute the sample......it's also a good idea to retest immediately if you get a number you're not sure is real

It's possible....honey can raise them quickly but then it wears off again so IF the 49 was a true number, you'd want to keep testing to make sure he didn't drop back down

It will really help if you'll put the tests into your spreadsheet.....we're very data driven here and we're used to looking for patterns in the color coded spreadsheet

4. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lizzey and Errol ! Welcome:)

I agree with Chris whenever you question a test srtip, re-test again with a new one. Happened to me once today.

I see that you created a SS but it would be helpful if you entered all the data you have written on your Alpha Track log. Can you set up your signature and add info like what kind of insulin you are using, etc. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Based on what I see in your log, and mind you I'm only a few months in myself, you seem to have started on a high dose. Am I correct that you started at 4 U of insulin on 8/2? That is an extemely high starting dose. Most kitties start at most 1 U. You will need to get more mid cycle tests in to see how the insulin is effecting Errrol. The pre shot numbers are super important but not the only piece of the puzzle.
    Hope other, more experienced eyes review and advise.
    It is fantastic that you are home testing!!!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Instead of using artificial tears to separate the fur, you can apply a thin layer of Neosporin /Polysporin (CAN) on the ear and it will help the blood form a bead instead of running into the fur to help.

It is possible the strip got enough blood to give a result but was too little to give an accurate reading. In this case, like Chris said, re-test when in doubt. Remember, you're not poking him to hurt him :bighug:. Based on those BG readings I would comment about his dose but I believe you had the Vet that said "if between these numbers, give X units"? My memory isn't great but I thought I recognized the handwriting and dosing pattern :bookworm:

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

The AT2 meter will not read until it has a sufficient blood sample. The blood drop required for a successful test is smaller than the head of a straight pin so using Vaseline or Neosporin ointment will make it easier to get the blood to bead up. It's possible to get a wonky strip so retesting any low reading is a good idea.

7. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I have had a few times with the AT2 meter where I did get a reading but the blood drop was too small for an accurate number. I found that it took longer for the reading to be displayed on the meter than usual. On doing a retest I got a higher reading. If I get a reading that just doesn't seem to fit I will retest to be sure.

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Lizzie! I'm glad you're here asking for help. I recall the past posts about the way your vet has you dosing Errol. Some members might not have seen those. As others have said here, when you get a number that seems out of the ordinary, especially very low, get a second test ASAP. If it's still low but above 50, feed a little low carb wet food and retest in 20 minutes. Repeat as needed until he's holding up his BG on his own without food intervention If the low is below 50 then use gravy style high carb food in very small amounts (or LC food with a bit of honey added) so you don't fill him up too fast. Snack/wait 20 minutes/ retest and repeat.

Please do come here for advice whenever you need help. Your dosing routine is different but we can still give advice when you get stuck. How is Errol doing?

9. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Lizzy
    I just read through your older posts. I do apologize about commenting on your dosing strategy for Errol. If its working for you guys that is great! Please don't feel you can't ask questions here. I wasn't familiar with your back story. :bighug:

10. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi All, this is Titans dad, what we found and is working very well for us is to gather the blood drop on a small plastic spoon or a credit card works well we have been told, then we can test the sample while Titan is shaking his head after the poke and draw. Also this alleviates worrying about the two minutes you get from the tyme you insert the strip till it won't accept the sample. Less stress on cat and mom n dad.

Kris & Teasel and MJW like this.
  11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Same happens to my meter, which is why I thought it might be a thing :)

12. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hmmm! Interesting! I find when Menace is at low numbers she is often harder to get blood from for whatever reason but I've never had a higher reading on a recheck even when it seemed to take forever for the strip to load due to a tiny blood bead. I keep my beeper up to full volume so I know when the strip has a sufficient sample.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.