ALPHATRAK 2 METERS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorraine Edwards, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi, I use an Alphatrak 2 meter for GB tests, I know all meters differ but what numbers would you class a cat in remission on an Alphatrak meter thanks Lorraine

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

With a human meter, we'd be looking to have the cat reading 120 (6.7) or lower consistently for 14 days without insulin. As an Alphatrak can read up to 40% higher, that would have you looking for numbers of about 168 (9.3) or lower - again for 14 days without insulin being given. Molly does look as though she's close to being ready for a trial and it's possible that with Caninsulin, the only place you can go next is a trial as you're fairly consistently getting numbers that are too low to shoot on the PM cycle. Her AM numbers after the skipped PM shot are maybe just a touch higher than is ideal at the moment, but you could try skipping an AM shot and seeing where she is about 4 hours after she eats...if her numbers come down on their own at that point, and especially if you then still get a PM number that's under your no-shoot level, then that would probably indicate that her pancreas is trying to work on the food she's eaten. If her numbers go higher and are still higher at her usual PM shot time, then that would probably indicate that she needs insulin support for a little longer yet.

3. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi, Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful:) I kinda feel like we are on the edge of the next phase, hopefully I am not being to hopeful, but she definitely seems to be getting close to a trial by her numbers, I feel her bodies kicking in now and adjusting and like you say shes not quite there yet, but at least now I know what numbers I am looking at. I am just so pleased to not be in a high state of panic, and driving her nuts by constantly checking her!! lol It is like having a kitten again so happy and content and a normal eating routine, I am happy enjoying this time with her. But I do feel sure it wont be long before we can give her a trial. Lorraine

manxcat419 likes this.
  4. manxcat419

It really is lovely when they get back to feeling like they did before diagnosis. Every time they do something they used to do, it feels like another breakthrough. :) You and Molly are doing great and even if she's not quite ready to manage without insulin today, I don't think it'll take her much longer (anti-jinx)! :)

5. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Considering its only been 5 weeks since she was diagnosed, and three weeks of home testing, I couldn't ask to be in a better place with her, we are very lucky, it does feel like its been a lot longer !! lol, probably why my vet said yesterday its happened to quickly, but im not sure what that means :confused:I guess they are not used to it, they do know its me if I call and mention anything about diabetes even if I dont say my name lol. Sometimes I think i'm probably the only person home testing at my vets, which is not a happy thought!! But thanks for your support, its great hearing your opinion as you have been there and it definitely helps me feel more optomistic. Lorraine

6. manxcat419

Five weeks is really very quick to get her to this point, but every cat is different...some can be ready for a trial quickly, and then there have been some recently who have been on insulin for years and still make it to a trial in the end! :) I'm not sure there is a definition of "too quick" for something like this - I'd have thought the earlier the better for getting good control and possibly even a trial! :) If you're the only person your vet has home testing, then it's likely that you are seeing much quicker and better results than any of their other diabetic cats. Dedication to getting the blood glucose under control early on, as you can see from Molly's results, really does pay off in a lot of cases. :)

7. manxcat419

Oh, and you never know - it might be that your vet will be more prepared to recommend home testing and tighter control to other people now. In which case, not only have you got Molly to this point, but you might well be helping future customers of your vet too! :)

8. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

My vet tells me something different every time I speak to her, in the early days in panic mode and before I joined this site she just confused me and I didn't know what to do, she told me yesterday that she should be on the same insulin for a week, and not to give Molly insulin unless she was reading 20 or 18!!! so she clearly had not either read or understood the GB chart I had taken the time to drop in, it still frustrates me, but I have also adopted the smile and nod approach, but it really unsettles me how many people are just going by what the vet tells them ( if they are anything like mine that is ) the prognosis would not be good!

9. manxcat419

Unfortunately, from my own experience and what I've read on here that others have posted, it does seem as though a lot of vets are of that school of thought...the whole "just give the insulin and take them to the emergency vet if you think they might be hypo" doesn't sit well with me at all. Smile and nod is about all you can do - and the good thing about this board is that here there are people who understand the process and can give you the information your vet has missed (or confused you with, which is just as dangerous).

10. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

It is a real shame that some vets don't want to learn and take notice of what actually works in treating this, and advise people in this situation and give ALL animals a fighting chance but thank goodness for sites like this, and all the great advise and experiences people share, but yes it does unfortunately seem to be a common practise.

11. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Mollys now had a night and morning with no insulin !!!!! :):bighug:and GB levels at 4pm today 7.7, so I think we are now on a trail, fingers crossed Lorraine

12. manxcat419

Looking great Molly! Keep it up (and those numbers down)!! :D :D Oh, and something to remember is that a one off slightly higher reading, especially if it's first thing in the morning, isn't always a problem - as long as she comes down a few hours after she eats, that's still fine. Fingers and paws crossed she can make it through the trial! :) :bighug:

13. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi, funny you should say about the higher numbers, as I have been out this evening, but Molly had some food around 4pm after I had tested her GB and it was 7.7, my husband tested her at 7.15pm and she was a 12, so he gave her a 0.1 insulin, but now I have seen what you have put regarding the slightly higher reading and testing to se if her body will bring it down, im worried that he shouldn't have given it to her, and we should have waited and tested her, what do you think? Lorraine

14. manxcat419

I wouldn't worry too much - what's done is done and insulin at that dose isn't going to harm her. Tomorrow is a whole new day - depending on what her reading is in the morning you might well find you can skip her shot and see how she does tomorrow. But if you do get a slightly higher reading first thing in the morning then you could try giving her some food and testing again a few hours later to see if she's able to come down on her own at that point. I should be about for your early morning - it'll be late evening here, so if you're not sure you can always ask. :) :bighug:

15. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Thank you, yes tomorrow is another day, I will see in the morning and start again, but thanks for the heads up with the slightly higher readings info that really does help, and I will let you know if im insure Thanks again :banghead:

manxcat419 likes this.
  16. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Good GB this morning only 5.8 so start again today, thanks April hope you have a good nights rest:woot:

17. manxcat419

Perfect - that's a really good start for a trial! :) Good luck, and keep us posted on how it's going! :D

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Do tests about +2 after feeding, then about +4. If the glucose rises at +2 after a meal and then starts going down, that's a clue the pancreas is working some. Feeding mini-meals helps reduce the food spike and the work load on the pancreas.

19. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Looking good, Lorraine.....
    Go, Molly!!! :cat:

20. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Thanks for the info and support, we are now on day 3 of no shots!! keeping everything x Mollys doing things she hasn't done for years like stalking sparrows in the garden!! this is of no concern as she is hopeless at catching them lol but Great to see x

Amy Dobson likes this.
  21. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi April, hows you? just wanted to give you an update, Mollys on day 5 of really good numbers so really pleased and got everything crossed!!

22. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Thanks Eliz shes still doing well

23. Elizabeth and Bertie

Lorraine, to tag someone you just type a '@' and then start typing their user name; and their avatar (and avatars of those with similar names (if any)) will appear toward the bottom/left of the message. Just click on the name you want.
    Tagging April for ya; @manxcat419 :)

24. manxcat419

Hi Lorraine @Lorraine Edwards - I'm good thank you. :) Molly looks like she's doing really well - her numbers are looking great! Not a single reading out of the normal range for Alphatrak which is really good news! :D

25. MikeTheRock

MikeTheRock New Member

Hi,

I came across this as I'm in the process of choosing a BG meter and am leaning towards the AT2. When I look at the target range provided by Caninsulin in regards to adjusting dosage, they specify 90-160 as being the target. That seems to be much lower than what is being advocated here (if using AT2 readings). Would I be mistaken in assuming Caninsulin was using a meter calibrated for felines as opposed to a human calibrated number?

Thanks,

Mike

26. manxcat419

Hi Mike

Normal range for a cat on the Alphatrak is around 70-168. It sounds as though Caninsulin are building in a small extra safety margin at the low end by asking for 90-160. The Alphatrak is calibrated for pet use, and it sounds as though those are the numbers that Caninsulin are using, where many of us here use human glucometers (the range for those for "normal" is 50-120).

27. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Mike,

Welcome to FDMB :bighug:

The main cost of BG testing is the test strips. The Alphatrak is a nice meter, but many of us here find the cost of the test strips prohibitive. If you can afford it, or have pet insurance that will cover the cost, then Alphatrak may well be the way to go. But most folks here use human meters because they are so much cheaper to use.

Eliz

28. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I use the AT2 meter, but I've started buying the Frestyle Lite test strips. They're made by the same company that makes the AT and the strips look identical. I've cross checked the FS and AT2 strips for a week on the same blood sample and the most I ever came up with for difference was 10 points. That can happen if you use the same type of strips and check the same blood. I just bought 100 strips for $67 on Amazon, free shipping, which is half of what I would paid for the AT strips.

Of course some people test many times day, so even that can be pricey, but I use ProZinc and test only am and pm unless I'm doing a curve.(which I just realized has been a while....)

29. Elizabeth and Bertie

Good info. :)
    Just found another thread here that discusses the use of FS strips in the AT meter:
    My comparison AT2 pet specific monitor & FSLite human monitor updated

I'm almost tempted to get my own AT meter out from the back of the cupboard...;)

30. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I do the same thing. I also did a lot of testing comparing the FS lite strips and AT2 strips and they are well within a close range. I buy my stris at Shopper's (Canada) and wait for senior's day discount, so I pay $59 for 100...less than 1/2 of what AT2 strips cost.

Woops..I see you just posted my previous comparison post as I was posting :)

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  31. Elizabeth and Bertie

Just checked UK prices for the FS strips, and they can be bought for half the cost of AT strips here also (and cheaper if buying more than one box on Ebay).

Lorraine Edwards likes this.
  32. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

33. MikeTheRock

MikeTheRock New Member

Thanks Eliz/Manx! Great site, tons of info here - it will take a fews days to digest all of it!

manxcat419 likes this.
  34. Elizabeth and Bertie

Lorraine @Lorraine Edwards, is this Molly's 14th day with no insulin...?
    I'm anticipating an 'OTJ' announcement from you very soon....;)

35. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi Eliz @Elizabeth and Bertie , yes its day 14!!!! Last GB test tonight, cant believe we are here :bighug: her numbers have been amazing so am anticipating an announcement tonight, I will let you know :woot:

36. manxcat419

Lorraine, you and Molly have done a great job. Her numbers are looking awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing your official announcement later today. :D

37. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

MY MISSY MOLLY IS OTJ WHOOOOOOOOOO:otj: THANKS SOOOO MUCH GUYS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT YOU ARE ALL AMAZING, I FEEL QUITE EMOTIONAL AND WISH YOU WAS ALL NEAR TO ME SO I COULD GIVE YOU ALL A BIG HUG FROM ME AND MOLLY XXX

38. manxcat419

Awesome news - I've not long been awake here this morning and that is just the greatest thing to wake up to! Congratulations to you and Molly, Lorraine - I hope your stay at The Falls is long and happy! :D :D :D :otj: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

39. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Thanks April, ive been in bed with a bad cold for 3 days so this was a welcome boost to feeling better. Feels amazing and emotional, its almost like Molly knew something was special today bless her. I saw on you ss that you test Rosa weekly is that correct? :)

manxcat419 likes this.
  40. manxcat419

I do think sometimes they just know. I'm so, so happy for both of you. :D

I do still test Rosa once a week. I believe it can be reduced to once a month after the first month, but as it only takes a minute and doesn't bother her, I'm sticking with once a week - that way I'll know quickly if anything does start to look a bit strange with her numbers in the future. :)

41. Elizabeth and Bertie

:p:smuggrin::cool:Congratulations, Lorraine and Molly!!!:cool::smuggrin::p

Absolutely thrilled for you both!

Eliz x

BTW, if you wish you can edit your subject line to add an 'OTJ' icon. (Click on 'thread tools' at top right of your first post in this thread and you'll get the option to 'edit title'.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.