Amps 200 +4 294 +7.5 322 Bounce?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MissMolly, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissMolly

MissMolly Member

What is going on? Is this a typical bounce? Please help :arghh:

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

well, yes it is.
    If you look back to the green a few days ago, the bounce went to red.....
    currently for Molly, blues bounce to pink....

it takes a bit of time for her body to get used to those new lower numbers so her liver panics and dumps counterregulatory hormones.

MissMolly likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, a typical bounce. The numbers will usually wobble around while they are bouncing. She's still not used to greens so it's not surprised she's bouncing. Bounces can take up to six cycles to resolve, but the good news it looks like Molly is down to 5 cycles now.

You've been 10 cycles at this dose now, and I think there is still a little room for an increase up to 3.0 units.

MissMolly likes this.
  4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

What is going on? Is this a typical bounce? Please help [​IMG]

Hello Molly’s Mom (sorry, I could not find your name),

To tell you up front: I am not very experienced but since no one else is available to comment I thought it worth its while to give you even mine $0.02 on the matter.

Is this a typical bounce? – the short answer is yes, it is possible that Molly bounces from the last night ‘s 101 and 94. On the Lantus she’d shown 5 cycles from one Green number to another. This 9/24 AM cycle was her 2nd from the Green number – hang on, she’ll get down, just not today…

If you follow the TR – keep the dose for 6 cycles (3 days) since the last Green number and if she does not have any Green numbers – increase by 0.25.

I see that you listed constipation as an ongoing concern in your SS/Remarks. Is it he only mater with Molly now?

I ask because given that today’s AM is her 9th cycle on the 2.75 dose (the depot is set and stable now, so forget the NDW) and Molly is still in high-ish numbers I wonder if you have any reasons to suspect other negatives causing elevated BG – an infection, a pain, or/ and a stress, like noisy construction work, like moving to other place, or other cats/ human kids, ets, any stressors at all?

Constipation wise: I always give my Ducia pumpkin. So far it’s been commercially available one by Soulistic cat food brand but I know that people steam or boil real/regular pumpkin from a farmer’s markets (it’s in season now and even organic must be affordable in autumn) and have great success with regularity. Another thing to try as an alternative to Restolax/ Miralax is fresh organic wheat grass – I add clippings to my cat’s meals 2 or 3 times per day, no more that ¼ teaspoon total per 24 hours. In the US the grass is sold at any grocery store ( a bit expensive thou) and let her chew on it only after meals – she vomits if eaten on an empty stomach. As additional bonus – the grass clippings seems to carry hairballs out the other way –Ducia rarely (antijinx) coughs it out. May be try pumpkin and the grass for a while – ad if I doesn’t work go back to Restolax. Being constipated causes elevated BG in some cats.

Other than that I must tell you that your testing routine is excellent. Obviously, you want your kitty safe.

Lantus works somewhat different than Levemir and taking test at +2 could be good indicator as to the cycle ahead – if the +2 higher than the pre-shot you may have an active cycle, with much lowering thru nadir and extra testing in order. You always take the +4 test –I can say you are used to Levemir. The + test is very informative also but it is past Lantus onset for many cat – it is better t get the +2 or +2.5.

Hope this s helpful. You are doing such a wonderful job with Molly - I wish she’ll get better very soon. Cheers!

MissMolly likes this.
  5. MissMolly

MissMolly Member

Thank everyone. I get so worried and frustrated as it feels like the whole point of giving insulin is to reduce her blood sugars and I'm still beating myself up over reduction that I shouldn't have gave her. I could increase her to 3.00 units, but my vet (whom I really really like) would like for me to stick with the 2.75 for at least 2 weeks unless of course Molly bottoms out on it. But having said that she trusts me with my treatment of Molly and if I do decide to move her up I'm sure she wouldn't give me much grief. I have made it very clear to her that I do ask for help from members of the forum who's helped many a kitty into remission.

It's Holly :)

I actually had her on Restoralax for her constipation, but stopped it the evening of the 20th to see if that was causing the increase in her numbers. Since giving it up, she's been having good poops though. As for stress I don't think so but I could be missing something. We just had a vet appointment last week and she feels Molly is doing well, except for the high glucose levels. Her last bloodwork was ok and her weight is staying consistent. She could probably lose a couple of pounds :)

6. MissMolly

MissMolly Member

I updated my signature so others wouldn't be confused with Molly's spreadsheet and why I wasn't increasing after 6 cycles :)

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.