? Any Cats With Food Allergies

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sandi & Chase in AZ, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Sandi & Chase in AZ Well-Known Member

Chase has always had food allergies, and hairballs. He did great with the kind of cat food he always ate (indoor weight and hairball formula)... well, other than the fact that hard food made him diabetic :( but since he's been eating Fancy Feast, his food allergy seems to be acting up. He has hairballs now (he cleans himself a LOT), and scratches a lot. Lately, he's been vomiting up a clear like substance that is of a mucous consistency. I want to try to put him on a different food but have NO idea where to begin.

If anyone has any suggestions, for supplements or food, please let me know ASAP. Thank you so much!

2. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

Digestive Enzymes seem to finally be helping with Eleanor's furballs.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My civie has food allergies, which led to his IBD. It got so he was vomiting almost every day. I had to do a protein elimination diet with him to figure out what he could/could not eat. I would stick to food with just one protein for a while to see how Chase does, then add another one. For example, find a food that has just chicken in it, and try that for a week. Then add in something like turkey. What flavours is Chase getting now? Fish and beef are common allergens but turns out my civie can't do lamb, elk and kangaroo. I've also seen allergies to eggs or chicken. I feed the civie raw food, so it's easier for me to know he's getting just one protein at a time. A lot of canned cat foods will have multiple proteins in them.

I do a daily log. I right down what food he got and also any vomiting or what shape the poos look like. That made it a lot easier for me to track the culprits.

Cat's shouldn't be vomiting hairballs more than one a month.

Sandi & Chase in AZ likes this.
  4. Sandi & Chase in AZ

He vomits them once a week. Chase likes the seafood flavors the best. I just bought a case of it today. :( Time to go back to the drawing board, with food.

5. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Hi Julie. What do you give her?

6. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Are there any certain brands of cat food that are better than others, when it comes to allergies like this?

7. Sandi & Chase in AZ

@Wendy&Neko Can you tell me about a raw diet?

I just looked up raw food. No... not for me. I'll do an elimination diet. Maybe someone could suggest a better food than Fancy Feast?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is an idea - several of us (first heard of it from @Doodles & Karen) had this Immune IQ allergy test done - I cannot attest to the scientific validity but Murphy has definitely improved with digestive enzymes and by avoiding the foods as indicated by his results. You can see what kind of results you get by clicking on Murphy's Immune IQ results in my signature. I know @Doodles & Karen found it very helpful as well. Murphy can't tolerate fancy feast at all - I look for foods without the gums and carrageenan - the list is not very big - Nature's Logic, Nature's variety LID, Bravo, Kaho, Impulse, Tikicat, Only Natural Pet, Ziwi Peak are some brands. It would be helpful to read ibdkitties.net.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would not use digestive enzymes without discussing it with your vet.

The allergy testing was one thing I thought of. Alternatively, like Wendy said, eliminating fish/seafood and beef is a good place to start. Also, consider eliminating gluten -- many cats are sensitive to that as well. (This means that all of the "gravy" type of foods are not good. You can use a couple of drops of Karo or honey to manage low numbers.) Also, you really need to read the labels. Fancy Feast Classic Chicken, for example, contains fish.

10. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

After I had the test done Doodles no longer needed any tushy washes. His results are also in my signature . We had a biopsy done to confirm his IBD an never had to put him on meds for it. Groupon has the kit for $45 ImmuneIQ Groupon. I also got the test done for civie Moo.

Doing a protein/ ingredient elimination diet without this for me would have been impossible. Canned food has so much crap in there you really have to read the fine print to eliminate the majority of their allergies. If I had fed raw or home cooked meal, elimination of protein diets are soo much easier.

11. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you very much. Are any of these brands available at a place like Petsmart... do you know, @Carol & Murphy ?

12. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I could do home cooked meals, but not raw. What does a home cooked meal consist of? And I'm guessing they must need supplements, also? The kit? You say biopsy and then mention a kit. Do you mean a kit for allergy testing, @Doodles & Karen ?

13. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you. I have Karo, but I need to be able to get a good food that I can afford. As far as allergy testing goes... I understand it's VERY expensive. I had it done for Chase when he was a baby and it cost almost $500 back in 2007. I'm sure I have those tests, still. I know that bodies change, but it's something I can go by, as far as the food goes.

14. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you. Did you do the test with your vet?

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I have seen the Nature's Variety LID (limited ingredient diet) in Petsmart, but not the others. But I'm in Canada so not sure what is carried in the US ones. Most of the rest I find in the smaller pet food chains. Another option is Merrick's Limited Ingredient Diet line.

Home cooked is the same as home made raw, except you cook it and lose some of the nutrition in the process. Both of them you need to add supplements. There are commercial premixes that include all the supplements you need. One that a number of us use is called EZComplete by FoodFurLife. It's pretty easy to make. Just put the meat in a bowl (cooked or not - they have instructions how to cook on their website), add water and premix and stir. Freeze what you don't need right away. I have some small Ziploc containers that hold one day's worth of food. A good kitchen scale helps if you are going to do this. Dr. Lisa also has direction on making your own food on her website http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

16. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

17. Carol & Murphy (GA)

The ImmuneIQ test costs under $100 as I recall -Karen mentioned the Groupon. It is not a test from the vet, but you order it online (click on the link to read about it) I mentioned it to my vet, and she rolled her eyes. The brands I mentioned are pretty much of a pain to find -Petsmart and Pet Supply Plus carries Nature's Variety and Impulse - The rest can be found if you are lucky in smaller boutique pet stores or online. I highly suggest reading ibdkitties.net - you may get some good tips there as well.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  18. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I'm reading IBD kitties, and I am completely overwhelmed. I have very limited resources (meaning... only one income and ONLY the income... no credit), so I don't know what I'm going to do. :( Chase has the same symptoms as some of those cats and so now I'm feeling so, so sad. I thought he was doing so well. He's been vomiting more, though, so I knew something was wrong. I really just don't know how I'm going to do this.

19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Take a deep breath - there are some easy things you can do right off the bat - like probiotics. Murphy has never had a biopsy, and for the 1st 5 years I had him, including after his FD diagnosis, he vomited every time he ate wet food. In time, I found the right foods without the gums/carrageenan) and with that, and daily cerenia (which has been the key in stopping his vomiting) - he's healthier now than when I first adopted him. So maybe just drop by Petsmart and read the ingredients of some different brands and pick up a few. Get some probiotics. These digestive enzymes have helped Murphy - he used to have hairballs all the time - now very, very rarely. Or try homemade food - small things can really help a lot - don't be overwhelmed.

20. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

unfortunately PetsMart doesn't have a lot of the better foods for them.... but that saying ,they also aren't cheap....

look at 2017 food chart

I myself want to get away from purina altogether but I can't afford to feed $2 cans 3x a day.
    so I do a combination....

the only fancy feast mine are getting at the moment is chunky chicken

the only friskies i will give are pates
    turkey and giblets
    poultry platter
    liver and chicken
    mixed grill
    supreme supper

other than that....

I like Tiki cat gourmet carnivore ( no seafood varieties)
    and Tiki cat Koolina Luau

any Nature's variety flavors without seafood....

Wild Callings Cabin Fever

Against the Grain Carribean Club with Chicken and Cheese

My cats love Wellness TruFood Tasty Pairings with Chicken, pumpkin and turkey ( available at PetsMart but almost $2 per 3 oz)

Sheba perfect portions Pate in natural juices only - savory chicken or turkey..... no gravy....

Evangers Chicken

21. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you so, so much. I will check out the charts. I can't afford a lot, either. It worries me because if Chase were to get really sick, I don't know how I would take care of him. :(

22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I am a big proponent of digestive enzymes and I like Animal Essentials. Digestive enzymes are fine to give; its pancreatic enzymes that you must work with a vet to give and Chase does not have the condition that requires those (the symptoms are pretty clear).

Why not raw? You can start with cooking using EZ Complete (this is the supplement I use and it has digestive enzymes) and then perhaps switch to raw. Raw really is the absolute best diet for digestive health.

Stay away from Evangers.....they have had several recalls lately as pentobarbital has been found in some of their foods and they have been dishonest about their meats being USDA human grade.

I know you've done a lot of reading about food and nutrition and most of the commercial foods have got undesirable ingredients.....carrageenan, gums, by products, etc. Truth About Pet Food discusses a lot of this. Another good site for nutrition is Feline Nutrition.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  23. Sandi & Chase in AZ

@Marje and Gracie Thank you. The little bit I read about making raw food sounded like something that would me sick to my stomach. :( And it sounds like you need expensive equipment, to start. I'm totally tapped out, financially. I hate it, but it's the truth. I used to get a good bit of overtime, which helped a great deal, but since I started taking care of Chase, that has stopped because I can't stay away due to having to give insulin and test so much. It's actually had a bit of a negative impact on my job and I'm kind of fighting just to keep my job, at this point. It isn't something that can be done in a 40 hr work week. Others have had to pitch in but they want someone who can do it without help. I keep hoping that Chase will be able to come off of insulin. And while I am so grateful for his numbers, I still long for the day that I can try to take him off. I just hope that my job holds out. Of course... if I lose it, I won't be able to take care of Chase like he needs. That scares me more than anything. :(

In the mean time, I will look for some of the Animal Essentials you talk about.

24. Marje and Gracie

You don't need any expensive equipment to make raw. You need a coupe of inexpensive scales. I use ground meats at the store.

I don't eat a lot of the raw meats I feed the cats. I just have to remember they are obligate carnivores and I'm not. I also remember that I am in control of what does in their food and I don't have to worry about the dishonest commercial pet food industry poisoning my cats. I think we largely have them to "thank" for all the intestinal health issues our cats have.

25. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Where I do get these scales, Marje? If you can direct me, I'll try it. :)

26. Marje and Gracie

I'm at an appt right now but I'll post later with the links for the scales and also help you with transitioning which must be done slowly.

You can get them both in Tucson....one at Bed, Bath, Beyond and other at Harbor Freight. I can give you a coupon for BBB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.