? AT what point do I get out the honey ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Callie & Patches, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

For some reason I woke up at 1:00. Callie had a PMPS of 225 followed by a +2 of126. When I woke up, Callie jumped up onto the table where I test her with a sweet loveing look on her face. I took her blood and it was 68. I fixed a glass of chocolate milk and tested her again in 10 minutes, hoping it was just a bad strip, it was 65. She seems ok, but she is only at +5 sbe has a long way to morning.

Should I get tbe honey and hi carb food now or watch for symptoms?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Rach & Honeybun likes this.
  2. Becky Smith

Becky Smith Member

What insulin are you using? I would feed a little higher carb food now....

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Can't see your spreadsheet. You need to change the permissions on it.

Usually Vetsulin has hit its nadir by +4 or +5, then numbers will start to rise, but I can't see what Callie's pattern is without the S/S. The 68 and 65 readings are basically the same with the variance meters are allowed. With the AT2 you want to keep her above 68, so you could give a bit of MC food and restest in 30 minutes. If she is rising then you could do one more test 30 minutes later and make sure the numbers are still rising.

4. Callie & Patches

She is on Vetsulin . I just tested her again-94. I am going to feed her and stay up with her for a while. Guess I need to make some coffee. I took a sleeping pill. Need coffee to stay awake

5. Callie & Patches

I think I fixed the SS. So far she lookes good.

6. Tuxedo Mom

I can see your S/S but there is no data. With the last test of 94 it appears Callie is on the way up which would be what could be expected with Vetsulin. The usual nadir is around +4 or +5 hours after shot, which is where Callie is. It is possible she may have been lower earlier but that is only speculation. With the rising numbers she should be fine for this cycle. If you could get some of your test data on the S/S and post about an hour before the next shot, you can get some feedback on what to shoot tonite. With hitting lower numbers it would not be unusual for Callie to bounce up into higher numbers later in the cycle.

7. Callie & Patches

I think the SS is working. Callie seems fine. She ate 1/2 can cat food.

8. Tuxedo Mom

OK...the data is on Sheet 1, so that is why I missed it.:rolleyes:

Callie is on the rise now...it appears her nadir is around +5. Her numbers are looking good, but you might want to drop the morning dose, depending on where her preshot number is.

9. Callie & Patches

I wish I understood SS.

10. Callie & Patches

I think I will lower both doses. I'm tired of holding my breath. Thank you your help.

I will ask the SS people if they can fix the SS.

11. Tuxedo Mom

Callie is starting to show good numbers without big swings between the highs and the lows which is good. With the AT2 meter you don not want her dropping below 68. With Vetsulin it normally starts working quickly and nadir around +4 or +5, although that can vary with each kitty. You have been getting a number of +2 tests, which don't show the big drop that usually happens at that time with Vetsulin. It looks like Callie is starting to level out in her numbers, so as long as she is not dropping below 68, especially early in the cycle just keep monitoring her.

12. Callie & Patches

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good job! Yeah just lower it a bit. No need for honey at 68, just a bit of food does the trick. When I see 68 I usually just give her a tablespoon of food or 3-4 high carb kibble which she LOOOOVES. HAHA I'd dial that dose back to 3.5 and see how she does. It was getting a little close in the daytime too. :) You've been getting much better numbers lately!

Can you move your SS1 tab over to the left so that it's what we see right away when clicking on your link?

Callie & Patches likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

when you are looking at your spreadsheet, on the bottom are the tabs you created. Click your Sheet 1 tab and drag it all the way to the left. :)

15. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

I am in the same position!! Was about to post a new thread then saw this... AMPS was 356 then +4 95, +5 70... just tried to give her some higher carb food but not having any of it!! Shall i follow the above advice? I am using a human bg meter so perhaps not as accurate.

16. Tuxedo Mom

Rach

It is always best to start your own thread, since your question could get lost in another person's thread.

Are you using a human meter or a pet meter? Honeybun should be getting near her nadir, but you could do another test to make sure the number is rising,

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  17. Tuxedo Mom

Rach

Also I see you are doing increases by a whole unit. It is best especially when starting insulin to only do 1/4 unit increases and monitor the progress. Doing such large increases can cause a kitty to drop low and then bounce back up into higher numbers. Remember that increasing from 1 unit to 2 units is a 100% increase in insulin which is too much.

18. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Hi :bighug: Thank you!
    I am using a human meter which is why I was a bit more worried. I have noticed she has started to plummet at these sorts of times now she has been on a higher dose a few days but I am usually at work at this time- so now I am really worried this is going to happen when I'm not here! I had upped it to 2 on the advice of a lady called Gayle who has been helping me on the Feline Diabetic Support forum on Facebook as I hadn't been accessing this site every day...I have since realised I maybe should have done a half extra dose instead (have just bought some new needles with half dose markings but old ones haven't got them) I just checked her again after eating a little bit of higher carb food (under duress!) and she has gone up to 100. This is seriously stressing me out as I'm constantly worrying she's going to have a hypo. Shall I lower the next dose do you think? I would never forgive myself if she hypod Monday when I wasn't here :(

19. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Your numbers are looking great Donnalea, I hope I can get Caninsulin (Vetsulin) to work for Honey as well it has been for Callie. I hope she is ok now :bighug:

20. Tuxedo Mom

With a human meter the "safe" number is 50, although you don't want to see that number early in the cycle. Increasing a dose that much is not safe, especially when you are not usually home to monitor. With Vetsulin/Caninsulin it tends to hit quickly and hard, usually there will be a bigger drop in the first 2 hours with a low point at +4 or +5. If you are using syringes with only 1 unit markings you can still "eyeball" the distance between the unit markings and aim for a 1/2 unit measure. It is best to have the syringes with 1/2 unit markings though.

It takes some time for a kitty to adjust to having external insulin (the shots) and start to process it properly. In order to keep Honeybun safe the best approach is to start with a low dose and SLOWLY increase the dose, preferably 1/4 unit at a time. I know the person you are speaking of, but that is only one person's advice about raising the dose so much and not good advice either

21. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thank you. I've seen other people's ss now and realised everyone goes slow and steady :( Do you think I should start to lower the dose? I was so worried about her high numbers before but now realise they are not too bad - considering it's so soon...the lows are looking like the real problem atm. Luckily I had seen people on here and the FDMB FB page mention sometimes their kitty's pupils enlarged when their numbers were low otherwise I wouldn't have tested her until about now.

22. Alexi

Alexi Member

Hi Rach - just had a look at your SS and agree the dose should come down, I would try a 1.5 this evening and check at +2 and +3, you are looking for a gentle drop, the current dose is hammering down her numbers. You can always drop again in the morning if you are not comfortable, I expect she may bounce a bit today so the PMPS may be higher than expected. It's best to best to come to the board for dosing advice as you get more eyes on her numbers.

23. Tuxedo Mom

Rach

I totally agree with Alexi. The dose needs to come down. You can "eyeball" the distance between 1 and 2 units on the syringe to get 1.5 units.

It would also be best if you could start a new thread for you and Honeybun, so that Callie and your questions don't get mixed in with each other.

24. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thanks Alexi, I will do that for sure in the future!
    I used an app to do a graph yesterday and they were really going down and then straight back up! No wonder she's a bit fed up the last couple of days.:( I will use the new syringes and go to 1.5 this evening :bighug:

25. JanetNJ

If you're using a human meter 70 is a good number. Wait and see how she is at +6.

26. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

@Rach & Honeybun
    Hi Rachel - agreeing with the above, ie please increase doses SLOWLY. Looks like 2u may be too much so try 1.5u and let us know what results you get.
    And yes - please start your own thread so we can all find your question more easily. Also better to ask dosing advice on this board rather than FB as here we can all have a look and comment where it is (again) easier to find.
    Good luck
    Diana

27. JanetNJ

I'd probaby go back and do 1.5 for a while. 2 might be a little high.

28. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I so wish I could 'Like' this post a dozen times over: This is such sound and sensible advice. :bighug:

Eliz

29. Callie & Patches

Well Callie seems to be fine. Her AMPS was 332. She has been a lot higher in the past. Her+5 was 235. I will give her 3.5 for her PMPS. She is always lowest in the early morning.

Thank you to everyone who gave me such great advice. I have to wonder if you gals ever sleep.

30. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Good news :D

Callie & Patches likes this.
  31. Callie & Patches

I do the +2 at night just before going to bed, hoping to get some idea if I will hsve to set the alarm for +5 at 1 AM. The 1 AM alarm might be permanent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.