? Automatic Feeder?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Stressedcatmom, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Hi Prozinc fam,

Hope you and your kitties are doing well . Yoshi is still in remission (knock on wood), and I'd like to go away for a couple days.

Do any of you use 48 hour feeders? I have one now, but it only has 2 bowls. Debating getting another one of those, or purchasing one with 5 or 6 trays. Reviews online are mixed, so I figured I'd come to the smart ladies of Prozinc for guidance

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  3. Stressedcatmom

4. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Yoshi's Mom!!

I use that exact feeder. Once you set the times you want it to go off it will "turn" at those times daily. Its battery operated, takes 4 "D" batteries. So if you're gone for 2 days you could do up to two full feedings per day. It only has five compartments so if you wanted to put an extra portion in it would only be for one of the two days.

I pre load mine with frozen portions of food as my furbabies get fed four small meals a day/night. I love this feeder. I no longer get woken up at night for food and now its a big help with my Beenie. She really needs more consistent smaller meals just so she doesn't feel so deprived of food...at least until she is regulated. ;)

Stressedcatmom and StephG like this.
  5. Stressedcatmom

Thank you!!! I'm reading that the 5th feeder is always exposed, meaning there are only 4 timed feedings?

6. Djamila

https://www.amazon.com/Qpets-6-Meal...8&qid=1498595102&sr=8-4&keywords=timed feeder

I have this one which also lets you set past 24 hours. The problem is that they can break into the sliding door quite easily, so it kind of only counts as five future feedings since most cats will just open the slider as soon as they realize there is food inside. It technically has a hook, but it took Sam less than 10 seconds to figure out how to open it.

Also, the compartments are quite deep and a little bit difficult for my kitties to get the food out without smashing their noses into it since there isn't much of an angle. So it might give you one more timed slot than the PetSafe, but some cats won't eat out of something with such a deep narrow shape. Mine both use it, but it's not their favorite. When it eventually breaks, I won't repurchase it just for that reason. If your kitties don't mind deep bowls though then it should be okay.

7. Stressedcatmom

I was debating that one as well. I need like a giant mothership feeder since he eats like 5 small meals a day. I'm thinking if only for a day or two, he will live with larger meals 2x per day.

I just don't want to mess up his bg or freak him out

8. Djamila

Do you have time to start using it while you're home? Is there a bit of time before you need to leave for your trip? I can't remember if Yoshi can graze, or if he inhales everything in front of him and then gets sick?

It does have a button where you can select Start Today or Start Tomorrow. So if you bought two of them, you could set one for the day you leave, and one for the next day.

Or maybe you could find a pet sitter to come stay at your house? ;)

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

If nothing else, could maybe get a neighbor to come in and reload the feeder after 1 day? That way they'd only have to drop by once and they could do it on their schedule?

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Enjoy your little trip, Yoshi's Mum! Glad he is still doing so well :)

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  11. Stressedcatmom

I have time. I have a pet safe 2 meal feeder right now and it's so easy. I'd probably do well with another one or two of those and a neighbor. I'm still confused as to if the 5 cup digital pet safe will work beyond 24 hrs.Thank you all, again

12. Stressedcatmom

Just tested him and he's 88, btw! Lowest in a while. But lord he's hungry, which prompted my test.

Djamila likes this.
  13. Stressedcatmom

Xo

14. Stressedcatmom

He used to graze on dry, but when I switched to all wet, he demolishes it within seconds. I overfed him one day because my friend was all "feed the poor kitty" and he ate it all and puked it up within seconds. This made me gag. He needs feeders for sure. My civie grazes to perfection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.