Baby Boo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by babyBoo, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babyBoo

babyBoo Member

Baby Boo was diagnosed with diabetes May 2 and placed on 1 unit glargine insulin to start. His BG at vet was 30.3 at the time. Back in October he had licked all the hair off his stomach and quit eating his Royal Canin. He was about 29 lbs then. I switched to Purina easily digestible and he started eating again but was also drinking and urinating a lot. His weight kept dropping and he was 6kg(13 lbs) at the vet. He's a fairly large kitty I usually call him Mr. Boo now at almost 8 years old. He was 9 lbs at 6 months and 18 lbs at 18 months. Gradually growing over the years to 29 lbs.

Anyway, I did first blood glucose curve this past Saturday and he's also been doing real well after switching to all wet food and getting the insulin. Lowest BG reading was at +4 at 11.8 during the curve after 15.6 preshot.

I'm a shift worker and the only one in household that can administer insulin as my wife has a terminal illness with extreme SOB and very limited mobility. My work shifts rotate weekly going from 8am-4pm, then midnisht-8am, then 4pm-midnisht. So there is no twice daily every 12 hours shot time that can fit. Just wondering if anyone else has this situation and what they do.

My plan so far is 6am and 6pm for the 8-4 shift, 10pm and 10am for the 12-8, and 2pm and 2am for the 4-12 shift. Only days I can do a twelve hour curve is Saturday or Sunday. but to get those times to work without going more than 13 hours between shots would be to possibly do a curve on Saturdays and then keep delaying the shots for either 12.5 or 13 hours until I get to the next weeks target times. so probably three days switching with four days at target time finishing with a curve done.

I realize its less than ideal for the cat and probably more difficult to get regulated. But there just doesn't seem to be anything better that comes to mind.

Anyone else administering insulin to a cat in a similar situation and what are you doing?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to you and Mr Boo. I'm not sure how to answer your question, so I'll tag a few more experienced members. @Chris & China Or @Wendy&Neko You may also try posting on the Health forum where more people may see your post.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Boo! I hope someone that Sharon tagged can give you some ideas, I don't have any, sorry

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

One option would be hiring and training someone to come in and help with shots - perhaps a high school student wanting to go into veterinary sciences.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Can you hire a tech or other capable person from the vet's office? Often there is someone there wanting to make a little extra money. Or someone from the local animal shelter or cat rescue may have the skiils. I'll ponder the timing question and get back to you. I think I've mostly seen people in this situation find someone else do the shots you couldn't otherwise make.

6. babyBoo

babyBoo Member

It would get fairly costly hiring someone with this being a longtime and maybe forever type of thing. I'm in the third week of doing that schedule and it works great for me. Its two hours before work. Sort of breakfast time meal, and two hours after work which is a supper meal time for both me and cat. Injections would never be more than 13 hours a part over three days then stable(12 hours apart) for four days before a curve on Saturday. Without hiring someone its about the only thing I can do. With my wife's terminal illness the household income is about to be cut in half which makes hiring someone for the long term very pricey.

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you have been able to make the schedule work.
    Sending prayers for your wife.

8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

You need to do whatever works with your life and your work schedule. It is better to have some longer periods between shots than not to give the insulin at all.

Sending lots of prayer and strength for you and your wife at this very difficult time. :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.