Bear 1-14/ AMPS 512/ +5 479/ +8.25 491/ PMPS 481/ +3 212/ +5 383/ +8 366/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bear & Lora, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL...Black Bear indeed. Hey how about a different color for the bounce there Bear? Can we try maybe...pink? It would be start you know!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Bear & Lora likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

A few little ole greens last night and you have to bounce this high, Bear? Bring it down..........

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  4. Bear & Lora

He is an extremist! One of those go big or go home kind of guys. :rolleyes:

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

As someone once told me, black belongs on the outside of the kitty, not the blood sugar.:rolleyes:

Great catch on the greens tonight. Paws crossed Bear finds them again soon.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Bear! You're already wearing a black coat.....how about some lighter brighter colours on that SS! Blue and green look much better but even yellow would be appreciated!

Bear & Lora likes this.
  7. Bear & Lora

@Wendy&Neko @MrWorfMen's Mom

The one positive thing I can attribute to Bear's extreme bouncing is that I have a healthy perspective.

I will never stress over a few pink or ever complain about a yellow.

Red and black cycles are my stressors.

These colors raise me to fight or flight, and (fight it is) with a strong determination to find an answer.

If I can predict his major bounces, (which I can), every Green leads to a spike going to High Red or Black, why can't I find a way to at least modify it and keep him safe from extra ketone production and DKA???

Has anyone ever seen a SS of a cat with bounces to this degree, because I haven't found one?

If so, was there a technique used/method or a resolution?

I thought the Lantus affect of more shallow drops would modify Bear's bounces.

Do you think this a failed possibility or could more time possibly give us some headway with Bear's Hypersensitive Self-preservation Response?

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Luci likes the trampoline too :( Not quite as energetically as Bear does...but I know how you feel. Give it time. Time and patience are the keys to seeing better numbers...hang in there.

Krystina & Nelli and Bear & Lora like this.
  9. Bear & Lora

Do you think this a failed possibility or could more time possibly give us some headway with Bear's Hypersensitive Self-preservation Response?[/QUOTE]
    I am seeing better numbers but the consequences of better numbers are bounces into higher numbers in the Red and Black.

I can be patient when I have a healthy dose of hope.

My hope Depot is dwindling and I'm searching for knowledge and a possible infusion of hope.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Some kitties are big bouncers, others are not. He reached some nice green last night so now all you can do is wait out the bounce ( can be up to 6 cycles or 3 days)

One strategy for DKA kitties throwing ketones is to give higher carb food so that you can get as much insulin into them to keep ketones at bay. It looks like you are checking periodically which is a good thing and that Bear is negative for ketone, YAH!

With him hitting some greens like last night, it's a matter of him clearing them.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  11. Giomax

Giomax Member

Max is being very difficult to regulate too. :banghead::nailbiting:

12. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that Bear has a very sensitive "defense system". You are definitely getting better results now than with the ProZinc and in the big scheme of things, you haven't been at this with Lantus that long. I understand how frustrating bounces are but ECID and the time it takes them to start levelling out is different too. Bear usually come out a bounce relatively quickly so until he gets more used to those blue and green BGs, he's probably going to head to the sky periodically. You've got a good handle on him so my feeling is that if you follow TR closely, he will eventually become accustomed to those lower BGs and the blacks and reds on his spreadsheet will lessen.

I like Bobbie's idea of slightly higher carbs and more insulin to push him into good numbers more frequently but that of course has to be tempered around t your ability to monitor. There has, for good reason, been a period where doses were held for longer than normally suggested and there may still be an element of glucose toxicity involved.

I wish there was a magical solution but there isn't....all you can do is follow Bear's lead and act accordingly. He's running this show and so far you are doing a great job of dealing with his unique behaviour.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  13. Bear & Lora

This strategy/technique seems counterproductive.
    You raise their blood glucose with food and give them larger doses of Insulin to bring their BG down.
    In this scenario once the Insulin has brought their BG down to blue or green levels wouldn't the self-preservation response cause a bounce also?

14. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Try not to despair...take a look at some of the other condos and their SS's. Lots of people have struggled with high numbers and many of those have gotten much better or all the way to OTJ! There is a silver lining to this cloud - even if it's only to have your kitty with you for a long time feeling healthy and happy. Some of them just take a bit (lot) longer than others to get there. Some never do - I myself have resigned to accept what it is...the long road...and I'm thankful I was able to help Luci live a longer healthier life.

The vet I saw when she was first diagnosed offered no hope and only recommended one option (euthanasia)...he reluctantly gave me a prescription for Novalin - but advised me that it was very difficult to regulate cats and that Luci was not going to cooperate so it was just a matter of time.....I wasn't very happy to hear that news...needless to say I knew nothing and believed him! So after I got over the crying jag and trying to decide what day to proceed with the execution - I started researching and found this group! It's just over a year later and we still have good days and bad - but Luci is still with us and she seems to think life is good. :cat:

Susan&Felix(GA) and Bear & Lora like this.
  15. Bear & Lora

My absolute main objective is for Bear to be safe and Blacks and Red levels are not.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  16. Bear & Lora

I don't care if Bear ever makes it to remission, that is not my main goal.
    I am not being impatient for remission.
    I am impatient to keep him out of danger.
    Yes remission would be wonderful!
    I just want as much time as can be had with Bear and for Bear to be fairly healthy and content with his life.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  17. Bobbie And Bubba

I don't think right now that you would do that technique as he is not throwing ketones. I just threw it out there because you mentioned a cat that has had a recent DKA. Let's let the recent bounce clear from last night's greens and take it from there.

Just something to give you some hope. Some kitties bounce all the way into remission. One said kitty was @Tara & Ivana (GA) check out her SS.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. Bear & Lora

I am sorry if I seem gruff with my responses. I am frustrated. Majority of my life I have found that more knowledge can bring you the results you are searching for.
    In Bear's case the answers are alluding me.

Possibly the only recourse is to do what I can do at this point, force extra hydration, monitor, say a prayer or two each day and wait.......

Thank you all for your input.

19. Bear & Lora

Thank you all for having kind hearts too.

20. Bear & Lora

Bear had DKA 3 and a half months ago. That is what nightmares are made of. :nailbiting:

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  21. Wendy&Neko

Check out Neko’s first year. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o6QcyxaSb1hlUDAkcrrvg-5eo8f4JRvdVZPYdPzLbao/pub?output=html Ignore the first few weeks of a bad monitor, it took her a year to stop bouncing as high as red. I can point you to even more dramatic examples. Including DKA kitties. Such as Dyana’s JD, bounced to the moon for 9 years as a happy kitty.

You are not alone.:bighug: The more he sees green and blues, the less he’ll bounce. You do want to safely maximize the amount of insulin he is getting. Some cats do better with slightly higher carbs, like 8-9% carb food.

Sue and Luci and Bear & Lora like this.
  22. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Bear & Lora likes this.
  23. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

;) :cat:

Bear & Lora likes this.
  24. Bear & Lora

Okay, I don't know how I overlooked Neko's bounces as I have looked at her SS before. They are very similar to Bear's.:blackeye:

So you think Bear could do better with a little higher carb food?

I still don't understand the concept of this technique? :bighug:

25. Wendy&Neko

Giving slightly higher carb food allows you to give a slightly higher dose. That higher dose can help curb the high numbers. I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth an experiment. What %carb are you feeding now?

I think another technique that might help you more is Feeding the Curve. Bear likes to take steep dives, which can also cause big bounces, and in some cases worse bounces than the low numbers. In this post, Jill describes feeding the curve to slow the drop. Tashie was another big dropper with lots of black.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  26. Bear & Lora

He is on Friskies Pates or Classic 3 to 5%. I will get on this new info.:D

27. Bobbie And Bubba

It might be worth an experiment.

Bear & Lora likes this.