Bodie is vomiting-6/06/2020

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by sadye claxton, Jun 6, 2020.

1. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

I got up at 3 am to do a BG check because on his previous curves that seemed to be his lowest time. I came up to vomit several places on the floor and in his litter box. We then let him just lick the top of the pate' as we did the ear stick (only way to get him to stay still) and he proceeded to vomit immediately after. Gave him 8mg of Cerenia, so far no more vomit (it's been about 25 min since last "episode")

-How does this change am insulin dose/time? I usually feed and do insulin at 8am, but:
    1- He may not WANT to eat
    2- In my experience with other animals, the vet would usually say to hold food for 8 hours or so and make sure they stay drinking/hydrated but give them some time of bowel rest....

How to handle this with diabetes/insulin...?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hopefully the cerenia will stop him vomiting any more. It is not a good idea to leave cats to not eat for 8 hours. Cats need to eat if at all possible. And diabetic cats need their insulin if at all possible.
    I would see how he is on the morning at shot time. If he eats and keeps it down I would give the insulin. If you are unsure what to do... post and ask for help.

3. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

Okay, thank you! He usually gets 1/2-3/4 of a 5 oz can of wet food before his insulin. Should I let him have the full serving or is that too much? Also, how long to wait to be sure he keeps it down before giving insulin? THANK YOU

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would give him maybe a bit less than normal.. he can always eat the rest later. I would wait 30 minutes to see he doesn’t vomit.

5. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

Okay well lucikly he did eat this am and kept it down ( so far, fingers crossed). We stuck with the one unit he's been getting. HOWEVER, his BG has been significantly higher the past two days than what his numbers were the whole week before. I am wondering, does this point to an issue going on that he needs to be seen at the vet for?
    We know he's got some level of kidney disease ( we have run labs twice, and I do believe the labs looked a little better the second time, after a couple weeks of insulin). He also had a UTI a month ago. He has had 3 shots of Convenia between 4/27 -5/27. Maybe the UTI isn't responding? Or his kidneys are causing illness? He is not yet neutered and also has some cracked teeth that need to be removed. The vet suggested waiting a month or so ( from now) on that and rechecking his kidneys a few days before that...thoughts? I do see some foam at the top of his urine when he goes...

6. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

Hey everyone! Bodie has been on the low end for him for a couple days now pre-stick. Our vet gave us a "no-stick" at 100. He's at 113 now, should get one unit, but I"m wondering if the one unit is going to be too much for him considering the one unit has been our dose even when he's in the upper 200's/300's, and it brings him down quite a bit. We were thinking of trying .5units tonight instead. Thoughts?