Buzz Numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelly Glassburn, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly Glassburn

Kelly Glassburn New Member

Our Buzz was diagnosed 2 weeks ago, & he was started on ONE daily dose of 4ccs/Vetsulin. We've just successfully completed our first home glucose test, as we just received the meter, & his number read 326. After doing research, & learning that Vetsulin is an intermediate insulin, I'm being told by other diabetic kitty parents, that Vetsulin is NOT effective as a once a day dose of insulin, & that it doesn't last as long as others. I'm concerned that Buzz is not getting all that he needs, & I want to give him the best care possible. Please advise

2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly, first of all, where are you - Canada perhaps? and could you give us a little more information about Buzz? If you look at posts from other members you will see basic info in their 'signature' at the bottom of each of their posts. This helps us to see at a glance what your situation is.

So... Buzz was diagnosed two weeks ago and put on a dose of 4 units once a day of Vetsulin? Vetsulin is normally administered twice a day because it may not last the full 24 hours it needs to in a kitty to keep him/her in acceptable "numbers" (blood glucose readings). Do you know why the vet suggested once a day dosing? It is also a higher dose than usual to start off with - it is more usual to give 1u twice a day to begin with, increasing the dose if necessary every few weeks if that dose does not make enough of a difference. So perhaps you could fill us in on why the vet has started Buzz off like that?

Well done for home testing so soon after dx - this is your very best tool to help Buzz. We need to know at what point in the insulin cycle you recorded that number. Was it just before you gave insulin, or soon after, or at any other time? The number should change quite considerably depending on when the test was taken in conjunction with when insulin was given.

This is the basic premise of testing so you are armed with info to take to the vet and determine how well the insulin is working in Buzz amd what - if any - adjustments might need to be made.

I'd suggest that you read some of the Stickies on this board, and also scroll down some of the posts on the Welcome forum where you will find new members will similar questions that you can learn from. You've made a great start!

Diana (in the UK)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Reason for edit: Correction
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Yes, Vetsulin/Caninsulin is a shot per day insulin and even then it does not really last 12 hours.
    Insulin is dosed in units, not ccs. 4 ccs would kill any cat.
    Vetsulin is a U40 insulin and thus there are 40 units per cc. There are U40 syringes which typically have red needle caps. Human syringes are for U100 insulin (100 units per cc) and have orange cap.
    What syringes are you using and to what mark on the syringe are you drawing up the insulin?
    When was the 326 measured with relation to injecting the insulin?
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

4. Kelly Glassburn

It is units, not ccs, my mistake. We are using U40 syringes from the vet, & draw insulin to the 4 unit mark. Since today was our first day testing, we followed the 3 strike rule, so we took a break, let him eat, & tried again. 326 is what we got about 20 min after he ate.
    Buzz eats primarily wet food, so I have all of the appropriate canned food.
    I could not afford the full spectrum of glucose tests needed, so the vet put him on a lower dose to get him started, as the alphatrak test done in the office, read 506.

5. Larry and Kitties

So the 326 was measured just a little after the shot?
    That is not that high of a value, especially when you are giving 4 units of vetsulin.
    I would take another BG after about 5 hours. The 4 units may be too much

6. Kelly Glassburn

Again. It was after food, but before his insulin.
    I just spoke with my vet, & she explained that yes, it is a higher dose at one time per day. She wants me to track his home tests before splitting his dose into 2 smaller ones. His weight, (he is a large breed, weighing 17 lbs) was a factor, as well as wanting to introduce it into his system gradually. Once we can afford the $200 + for the whole spectrum of tests, we will have a better idea of dosing.

7. Larry and Kitties

I would test about 5 hours after shot (+5). 4 units of vetsulin is a high starting dose.
    I would not continue the 4 units one daily until you get more data. Just data today at about +5. THen post that here.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  8. Kelly Glassburn

I plan on testing him again this evening. I'm new to this, & have reservations about going against my vets original direction. But I want to give Buzz the very best that I can. I'm so stressed now!

9. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Keep in mind most veterinarians are not well-versed in feline diabetes. They only get maybe a few hours of lecture on the topic in 8 years of schooling. They have to be knowledgeable of so many illnesses, so it's understandable. Had I listened to my vet, I would have been giving Carter 4units of Vetsulin, twice a day, without home-testing and he'd be on diabetic dry food. Thanks to the advise on this site, Carter is in remission and healthier than he's ever been since adopting him.

It can be very stressful and overwhelming, but everyone here deals with feline diabetes day in and day out, some people will multiple diabetic cats, some for years. They are a great resource. So just breathe, it'll be okay! :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Diana&Tom likes this.
  10. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Many veterinarians are more versed on treating diabetes in dogs, since it is quite common in dogs. When giving Vetsulin to a dog it is only given once a day. With a kitty however, because their metabolism is much higher than a person or a dog, Vetsulin should be given twice a day. A starting dose of 4 units is not what the manufacturer recommends.

"For cats, the initial recommended dose of Vetsulin® (porcine insulin zinc suspension) is 1 to 2 IU per injection. Cats should be started on twice-daily injections of Vetsulin at 12-hour intervals. Note that in cats, Vetsulin dosing is calculated on a per animal basis; in contrast, initial dosing for dogs is based on body weight."

http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/Cats_DosingOverview.aspx

Your vet should read the instructions before giving incorrect dosing advice for kitties.

Sharon14 and Diana&Tom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.