Can i get advice on todays PM pre shot number?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Steph & Suki, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nice to see that yellow tonight. Any chance of getting a test before you go to bed, to see if she's still on her way down? It's possible she's getting over a bounce and might keep going down tonight. More data will help us figure out what is happening.

Here is the link to your previous post here, for continuity.

3. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Thanks yes her +3 PM test is due in 35 mins so i will see what she tests as then. She is acting fine though so fingers crossed its not a bounce!

Ps i am new to forums really. Is it best just to post questions on the original thread rather than start a new one?

4. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

No, it's fine to start a new one; most folks post one thread per day for their kitty with their AMPS number and any additional info. If you look through the forum, you'll see lots of posts with subjects like "3/14 Benny, AMPS 108", which is what I posted for today. It gives today's date, my cat's name, and his AM pre-shot number. But it is a good idea to include a link to your most recent previous posts, so people reading your posts can look back and see what's been going on with you and your cat.

Looking forward to seeing Suki's +3 BG.

5. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Ok +3 test done and she has gone up slightly to 15. She was fed at PM shot. Juat hopig she stays steady and we dont have a super high AM pre shot test in the morning! If she does shoot up high tomorrow morning is it best to hold the dose and try and let her settle?

6. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Thank you Erin and scott :)

7. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

With Lantus, you don't base your dose on the pre-shot numbers; instead, you want to keep track of how low the dose is taking her. You don't really have a lot of data; it looks like the last curve you did was on the 10th, and you increased from 1.5u to 1.75u on the evening of the 11th. According to the "Start Low, Go Slow" approach, you should now hold her dose for one week, then do another curve. Here are the guidelines for increasing or decreasing:

After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours. Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet. The goal is to learn how low the current dose is dropping kitty prior to making dose adjustments.
      • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
      • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
      • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit
    Your nadirs are still well above the 8.3 noted, so you will probably be looking at another increase, but I would wait the few more days and do another curve before deciding. Those two yellows indicate that she may be on a downward trend, so I would just hold the dose for now. Her BG is high enough that you probably don't need to worry about a hypo event. Still, I would encourage you to read (or re-read) the stickies at the top of this forum to familiarize yourself with how/when to adjust dosage, and how to handle low numbers. This should get you started.

Steph & Suki likes this.
  8. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Thank you for your reply and advice. I can only curve on a saturday or sunday and i was planning on doing one this saturday to see how the 1.75 is feeling. I will check back in on Saturday night after curve and see what your opinions are.

Thank you so much for you help :)

Erin & Scott likes this.