Can't get out of red n pink

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy n kendra, Jan 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

Still in red and pink which aren't good doing a glucose curve tomorrow maybe will tell me something I'm missing ugg

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is your last post here where you talked about dosing. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/levels-keep-rising.189966/ We includes links back for continuity.

I noticed you went from 2 units to 3 on the 22nd. Typically we increase by 0.25 units at a time, especially since you saw blue numbers on 2 units. Not sure what happened on the 23rd as there is no data then. You might want to start getting a before bed test each night. Cats often go lower at night, so those day time pinks may be bounces.

3. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

My vet told me to reduce it I'll check now

4. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

Sorry increase it now 469 now

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  5. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

I shoot with the pen so it's only doses not quarter etc

6. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

Y would i not increase it if she is still high by vet info I'm doing a glucose curve tomorrow should I lower it before or keep it

7. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

Sorry she was on feeding tube up till 22nd but that morning she was in 400 that's why they increased it been off since then n not good numbers

8. Wendy&Neko

Can you get U-100 syringes fir giving insulin? That's what you need to shoot those in between doses.

9. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

It's really worth getting syringes so that you can shoot finer doses. I was stuck with the pen too at the beginning with Quintus and it made things very difficult. As soon as I got the syringes I was finally able to get somewhere.

So the thing with BG (blood glucose) and insulin is that it is very tricky to find the right dose. Sometimes a cat can be high because when you weren't looking, his BG actually fell quite low, and in reaction his body panicked and dumped glucose in his blood stream. This is what we call "bouncing" and it happens all the time.

So when you see high numbers it could very well be that your cat is getting too much insulin rather than not enough.

This is why we hometest regularly (to try and "catch" a drop and confirm a bouncing supposition if numbers are high), change doses in tiny increments (even 0.1 ui can make a difference, imagine that!), and hold doses long enough to make sure the depot is stable and we're seeing the real numbers this dose provides, and not higher numbers due to the fact the dose hasn't stabilised yet.

Do ask all the questions you have if anything is fuzzy for you.

Juliet and LuvinThisPig like this.
  10. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

You mean when using the pen when u mean about catching a drop ?

11. Wendy&Neko

I think she means testing and seeing the blood sugar numbers drop. If the blood sugar numbers drop lower than they are used to, it can create a bounce. From the New to the Group Sticky Note:

Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

Bouncing is very common in newly diagnosed kitties.

12. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

I'm not even close to that lol I know what u mean a me trying to lower her insulin

13. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand what you mean here about lowering her insulin?

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Stacy --

Are you still feeding the Royal Canin canned food? If so, it's very high in carbohydrates. High carb food will cause numbers to be high since carbohydrates = sugar. Is it possible for you to switch over to a low carb food. Many people here feed their cat Fancy Feast pate style food (it's called "Classics"). This is a link to a list of canned cat foods with the percent of carbs. You want foods that are under 10% although most of us use foods that are around 5%.

15. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

She has ibd only can have she hated the hills zd. 2 weeks ago she was on feeding tube n had that n levels were in the 200s. I didn't notice the kind of food i use on the list it's prescription food select protein pr

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  16. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

I mean that an might be getting too much insulin cause at 3 does it's not going down

17. Wendy&Neko

There are commercial canned foods out there with unique single proteins that are much lower carbs than Royal Canin. Which protein (meat) is in the RP? Maybe we can give some suggestions. Some IBD kitties also do well on raw food. Have you seen the website http://www.ibdkitties.net/ ?

If her blood sugar is still high, chances are she's not getting enough insulin to balance the high carb food. We've had kitties get up to over 5 units on high carb dry then go down to zero on all carb wet.

18. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

Rabbit. i won't do raw. Believe me I have read everything about ibd she has had it under control for a year now it was so hard to find right food when I finally did I can't mess with that agian

19. Wendy&Neko

The low carb canned brands with rabbit I see in the food chart are Halo, Hounds & Gatos, Nature's Logic, and Nature's Variety. I presume you are giving her a probiotic too?

20. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

Yes probiatic my baby was on a feeding tube 2weeks ago messing around with her food isn't a option right now plus I've tried many foods cause of her ibd n I'm not sure if going that way is wise since I've been clear for a year

21. Stacy n kendra

Stacy n kendra Member

Got nature's variety gonna mix some in with my food see if it helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.