Cat in ICU (now out) 7/26 [bg broke 200's]

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by apple, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

Thanks.

I'd forgotten people clip cats. He can't to that. Scruffing of any kind raises his cranial pressure. At first the vet thought the meds were making him ill, then through trial and error awe discovered it was the pressure in his neck. I'm not sure that's the science of it, but he doesn't get scuffed for anything.

I know people that put spring clothes pins on their cats neck while giving sub-q fluids. It looks miserable for the cat, but it's supposed to be like a momma cat carrying them by the neck, I guess.

Plugins might be feliway.

Thanks for the ideas.

2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yes Feliway!
    I can't say whether it works or not....Boomer becomes rather docile at the vets so nothing is really necessary to calm him.

3. apple

apple Member

It bothers my asthma. When we go to the vet I always unplug it.

It works great on one of the civvies. Not so much for anyone else. The civvie is hilarious. He goes from screaming at the top of his lungs to mellow, kind of leans to the side on one arm, has some serious cool dude swag going on.

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  4. apple

apple Member

7/26
    Best in bg check 212
    Today was a no muffin, no furosemide day.

Food:
    Force fed ad
    Self fed new ff type
    Self fed some Solid Gold Indigo Moon crunchies

Still under weight @ 12.2 lbs

Head still swollen and patrolling; not sleeping, won't put head down. Showing signs of head and face pain.

He is very growly today. He's my little baby and best friend. I used to be able to do anything to him and he'd purr and "help me". Now, when I tested his toes, he just growled. When I force fed, he growled and tried to refuse. This is new and confusing to me. The little boy that I was bonded to and was bonded to me, isn't there right now. O miss him. He used to purr and chirp at the sight of me. If he spotted me, he'd come tail up, trotting and purring while chirping. I'm missing that something terribly. I feel like he trusted me to protect him from the world and he was this little innocent being and I didn't protect him from myself. I feel horribly guilty for taking him to get the CT. He's not returning to himself and our bond feels like it's fading and it's breaking my heart ❤.

Wondering about your thoughts to returning to insulin.

I won't tonight.

I'm not sure he's strong enough to go without food for 2hrs for a true am/pmbg. He was with out food for 4 days at the university and dropped a lot of weight.

Thoughts on trying to go 2 hrs without food? Could that harm him with being do fragile?

Tomorrow we will try to go A/D and ff only.

Thanks for caring. I miss my boy. I miss him lighting-up when he sees me. I miss him purring when I touch him. I miss his arching his back to pet my hand when I per him. I really want him to sleep on my face and purr me to aleep again. I miss it.

5. apple

apple Member

The alcohol in Bach's doesn't agree with my cats. His whole litter has not done well on it. It was more like that super strength reaction you law enforcement talk about when they have to have multiple officers to take down someone on meth with the superhuman strength.

Vet want a gapa....something. I don't want to try something new. He's not processing correctly, so I'm worried about risking it. Is rather keep his anesthesia for a life or death emergency. I'm worried about pushing his body. He's fragile.

What is nat mur? I've never heard of it.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

HWright likes this.
  7. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

The pet and kids versions of rescue Remedy are alcohol-free.

Was it gabapentin that your vet is suggesting (am I understanding correctly that to the purpose of calming Apple)? Idk much about it, but others might.

Idk what to suggest about resuming or switching insulin. But @Osha (Amanda) comes to mind as having recently switched from Lantus to Levimir. So tagging her so that she help with questions.

Nat mur (Natmur muriaticum) is a homeopathic remedy. Homeopathic remedies are best when determined by arriving at the right constitutional remedy(ies) for the individual being, not by symptoms alone. That's why a remedy might be right for one cat but not as effective for another.

Adding Homeopathy to Apple's treatment plan for recovering from the anesthesia problem, diabetes etc and might be something to consider as it doesn't have the side effects that some meds have and can be integrated with traditional treatment plans.

Given that bringing Apple out (vet visits) right now isn't an option, I'd offered to give you the contact info of one of my homeopathic vets who does telephone consults (and does an initial free brief consult to discuss and so that you can see if this is right fit for you). If you'd like the contact info just let me know.

Oh yes, have you tried the liver shake or bone broth yet?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. apple

apple Member

Oh yes, have you tried the liver shake or bone broth yet?[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for all the information.
    7/27
    His bg was 145
    Weight 12.2 lbs

I'm having a hard time functioning. The two things above and this message will probably be all that gets done today.

He used to light up when I came in a room, chirp, purr and greet me. He used to sleep on my face and purr me to sleep. We were stuck together like glue. People used to comment on how bonded we were and how devoted we were to each other. He used to put his arms around my neck and is carry him like a toddler.

Now, he growls when I'm near, doesn't want to be around me and there is no purring, chirping, or happy. His patrolling is slowing down and he sits but not sleep. If I want to hold him he growls and I'm missing my boy and our relationship. I miss his happy. He used to be so happy, he was so happy. He's not happy.

I think I've started grieving.

Please send the homeo info.

Edit: it breaks my heart he's not happy. It's really hard to swallow that he's not happy. And that I no longer make him happy. My best friend is missing.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  9. HWright

Thank you for all the information.
    7/27
    His bg was 145
    Weight 12.2 lbs

I'm having a hard time functioning. The two things above and this message will probably be all that gets done today.

He used to light up when I came in a room, chirp, purr and greet me. He used to sleep on my face and purr me to sleep. We were stuck together like glue. People used to comment on how bonded we were and how devoted we were to each other. He used to put his arms around my neck and is carry him like a toddler.

Now, he growls when I'm near, doesn't want to be around me and there is no purring, chirping, or happy. His patrolling is slowing down and he sits but not sleep. If I want to hold him he growls and I'm missing my boy and our relationship. I miss his happy. He used to be so happy, he was so happy. He's not happy.

I think I've started grieving.

Please send the homeo info.

Edit: it breaks my heart he's not happy. It's really hard to swallow that he's not happy. And that I no longer make him happy. My best friend is missing.[/QUOTE]

@apple I'm pm'ing you the contact info now. Please hang in there. You both have been under more stress and worry than anyone should have to bear and you don't have to bear it in solitude.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  10. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Praying that when he feels better he will be his old self once again. It's not that you don't make him happy, he just doesn't feel good, poor boy. He still loves you very much, it's important that you remember that. He know that you will do what's right and take care of him and get him feeling better. So don't grieve, just focus on helping him to get well, he needs you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Sending more hugs and prayers for you both. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  12. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Sorry I wasn't online earlier. If there are specific questions I can answer about my experience with switching from Lantus to Levemir, I am happy to help. I have been very pleased with Levemir over Lantus.

I am so sorry for all that you are going through with your sweet kitty. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. apple

apple Member

7/28
    bg 117
    weight 12.2 lbs

I'm taking a break from life. Will do brief updates. Turns out I'm going through an I give up moment. Yesterday I force fed, tested, weighed and that's it. I didn't even have it in me to put the trash out for collection. Turns out I just don't care.

I also have emailed vet and requested a clear plan for care and recovery support.

Thank you for your support for my boy.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Would you be so kind as to start a new thread? We typically start a new thread (aka "condo") every day. Trying to plow through 200 posts is tough work. We link the daily posts together so it's easier to back track if necessary.

16. HWright

How are you and Apple today?

Did you get my pm with the homeopathic vet contact info?

As Sienna has suggested, good idea to start a new thread as this one has gotten quite long. Sometimes it's hard to do so when everything happening all at once.
    Here's the link for your thread here so that you can easily copy and paste it when you can start a new day's thread.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...7-26-bg-broke-200s.180956/page-3#post-2010086

I hope that you got some rest and will keep us posted on how you both are.

17. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

:( No update? Sending prayers and hope you let us know you and kitty are ok.

18. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

She has a new thread going.

TempestsMum and Squalliesmom like this.
  19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Paula, do you have a link to her new thread? I can't seem to find it.

20. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

21. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

22. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Others beat me to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.