China---At vet probably until at least Monday

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & China (GA), Sep 21, 2018.

1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Sorry it took so long to get back to update, but by the time I got home from taking China in, it was time to go pick up DM to take her to her hair appointment and then I had to return the rental car I've had all week and go pick up my car from the body shop. (if I knew Monday that China was going to have such complications, I would have kept the insurance check instead of fixing the car :()

She put her on IV fluids and ran some bloodwork. Said she would start her on Mirtazapine to see about getting her to eat.

From the phone call on the way home:

The vet is very worried about her......says her BUN went from 48 on 9/11 to 72 today so there's a problem with her kidneys. The creatinine is about the same (2.1) Her liver values are good (for now)

She also has a high WBC now, so she started her on IV antibiotic (cefazolin )

She says with a BUN that high, she's not going to eat, so not going to start on the Mirtazapine.

Her plan is to keep her on the IV fluids and re-check the bloodwork on Monday (I'm not real happy about THAT)

Next phone call:

Wanted me to bring her insulin up and some food....reminded her I was now 60+ miles away and had my DM with me for her hair appointment so I didn't think I'd be able to get up there tonight before they closed. Told her she'd eat Fancy Feast (and suggested they run to the store to get some)

Asked her when they'd give her insulin since it's supposed to be every 12 hours and she's usually 6am/6pm....she said they'd give it at 5:30 before they left ….since I wasn't going to be able to get it up there tonight anyway, I dropped it (I knew there was no way they were coming in at 5:30am to give again so figured that was something I could deal with later)

Just got off the phone again...I called to get the name of the AB.....asked the receptionist how they were going to give insulin every 12 hours? She didn't know....said she'd have to ask one of the docs (These people have no idea how to use Lantus correctly, so we're going to have to have a serious discussion tomorrow when I go up there again)

Sorry this is so convoluted......been a long and stressful day

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Chris}}}

Thinking of you and China. Sending all the vines I can muster. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Chris, I don't know what to say. I always wonder how vets give it every 12 hrs when they aren't there for one of the times.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

HUGS and hugs and prayers Chris and China

5. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Prayers for China to feel better!!!

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for you and China. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Boatload of vines and prayers
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Paws and tails crossed for China to recover quickly! :bighug:

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I wonder if she has a UTI with a high wbc. Did they even do a urinalysis? When my Tiffany was being treated for lymphoma she suddenly spiked off the charts. The idiot oncologist had no explanation and was thinking leukemia. Spoke to my vet who immediately brought up UTI. Also possible infection from dental.

Raw fed cats have a naturally higher BUN. It’s surprising to be the creatinine is still low. That’s why I’m thinking infection.

I’m so sorry this is happening. I wish you had a vet nearby. Vines and prayers this passes and China returns to normal.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  10. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Sending healing vines to China and heartfelt prayers for her to recover soon...Many :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:to both of you.

11. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Several boatloads of prayer for China to feel better (and), not worry about where mommy is :bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for China and hope that what ever has her off her game is resolved quickly.

13. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Kidney values can be skewed in a dehydration situation. I hope it is easily resolved with fluids. Prayers to you and China.

14. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Healing energy for China & you :)
    Hope you can get some rest over the weekend :bighug:

15. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Vines and prayers for China and you Chris!

16. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

60 MILES! Oh dear gawd...
    And those vets...I swear...no words...
    So sorry you're going through all of this.. sending vines and prayers for you both...we'll be anxiously awaiting the next update...praying harder now for poor China!:bighug::bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  17. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    And lots of vines for China!

18. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I feel so bad for you & China. I found this on the internet " anesthetic and any drugs afterwards are quite taxing on the kidneys. " Maybe her Bun went up from the stress of the dental surgery?

When she calms down maybe the Bun will go down? Wishing the best for China :)

19. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more vines, prayers, and :bighug:.

20. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Oh goodness. I hope they can get their act together and China starts to feel better sooner rather than later. Sending lots of healing vines and hugs for you! :bighug:

21. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Praying that the AB really helps make sweet China feel better ASAP.....hugs and vines from us....

22. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending lots of vines and hugs your way:bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this news :( hugs and healing vines Chinas way

24. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Chris, I'm sorry that all this is happening, and I hope that the vets can get their act together and give China what she needs, when she needs it. Fortunately her insulin dose is low. You can regard tonight's shot as a furshot. She'll be OK tonight. The LagoonMeisterin is one strong kitty. By tomorrow you should have a better idea of what is going on.
    Please try to get some sleep! 60 miles x2 = 120 miles. That's a lot of driving. (I just finished a month of driving 100 miles a day, so I know that getting enough sleep at night is the key.)
    Thinking of you and your girl. Stay strong! Think positively! Healing vines are on the way.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's just today.....Tuesday I did it 4 times (up to drop her off and have my tests run), back home to drop off my son, back up to pick her up and back home again.

Then yesterday x 2...today x 2...….tomorrow x 2

And the price of gas jumped 12 cents a gallon overnight

26. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Bummer!

27. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

I'm so, so sorry to hear what you and China are going through! You must be exhausted, in addition to being so worried. Those vets - good grief! No words...

I hope you get some good news soon... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Chris - thinking about you and China - sending good thoughts :bighug::bighug:

29. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Chris and China, in my thoughts. Try to rest if you can, healing energies to both in huge amounts.

30. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

You are one amazing cat parent! China is very lucky to have you on her side.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  31. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Dang, I hope things get sorted out soon. Lot's of driving for sure, I know we do what we gotta do for our babies.
    I hope you can get some rest and China can get some some comfort and starts healing up so she can get back to her lagoon duties!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Chris I am so sorry China is still unwell. I hope she picks up tomorrow.
    Sending many vines :bighug:

33. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

oh, wow, you have so much on your plate, you are in my prayers, take time out for yourself too - maybe the drive time can be used for calming music to re-energize you?? - that is - if traffic allows for that.

34. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Vines and prayers for you and China :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: