Chloe 10

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I just took a nadir reading. Almost all the readings between the AM shot and the PM shot are yellow. What does that mean? It can't be that bad if there are no pinks and blacks, right?

StephG likes this.
  2. srk4cats

Okay, please post on this new thread for Chloe.

StephG likes this.
  3. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

No pink, red, or black is a good day.
    She had a late nadir today since her PMPS was blue.
    I think the even 1 unit will help level her out and give you two shootable preshot numbers. It might take a day or two to show.

Rachel, srk4cats and Djamila like this.
  4. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Nice preshot after no shot last night! Curious to see what her PMPS will be.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Roberta, was that 107 at +12, or was it a little early? That's pretty low considering NS last night and a reduced dose today.

StephG likes this.
  6. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Wow, I was NOT expecting that.
    Any changes in how much or when she ate today?

Djamila likes this.
  7. srk4cats

I
    It was only 10 minutes late. Please don't rain on my parade.

Djamila likes this.
  8. srk4cats

No changes in feeding. Maybe my cleaning around the house unnerved her. She hasn't seen that for quite awhile.
    What were you expecting?

9. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I was expecting a 200+. I thought a 1 unit dose would give her a shootable number tonight. You could try 0.75 units to get two shootable numbers.
    Or a skinny 1 unit. But seeing the big difference in preshots with the even 1 unit, it makes me think even less than a skinny 1 would work.
    Anyone else have any opinions?

10. Djamila

LOL....no rain intended!!! :) Like Steph, I was just expecting something in the 200's and was surprised at how low it was. I agree that lowering to 0.75 for a couple of cycles would probably be best. You really want two shootable numbers. Getting those PM blues is an indication that the AM dose is still too high.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I like the idea of trying 0.75 u for a bit.

srk4cats likes this.
  12. srk4cats

I tried both ears and couldn't get any blood. I'm very nervous about the landscaper and floorers coming today. After 3 tries, I just fed her. I'll lock her in my bedroom and take tests all day. I will give her .75 this morning.

13. Djamila

See if you can get her to drink some extra water. Sounds like she's a bit dehydrated again. Hope you all have a good day today despite the workers!

14. srk4cats

All my cats are freaked out. The flooring man is using a very loud machine and there are bad odors and dust. Chloe is under the bed hiding. Chico is behind the washing machine I think. Fuzma's staying in her room which is on the other side of the house. Landscapers are on the side chopping down cacti. It's all making me crazy and I hate to think what Chloe's going through! There is water right next to the bed, but I doubt she'll come out to drink it. All the furniture is crowded into the room. My cats aren't used to having people around, especially people making loud noises. I'm going to hang out in the bedroom with Chloe now.

15. Djamila

Ugh, I'm so sorry! What a day you are all having! How much longer will they be there today? Hang in there! :bighug:

16. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

If you convince her to come out from under the bed, mixing a little sauce from the lc food with some water might entice her to drink it.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  17. srk4cats

Landscaping is done and halfway done with the floors. He should be done by 5:00. She doesn't like when I make her food too watery. I won't be able to get any mid-cycles today, but I'll do her PM shot at the usual time (6:30 pm). Gosh, my house needed some work after 14 years! I bought a new toilet, too.

18. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I have been toilet shopping and was surprised by how much they are! But you can't really go without it :joyful: so I can see how they get away with charging so much! :rolleyes:
    Must of them at my local Lowe's are ADA standards and I have a tiny half bathroom downstairs that needs a micro toilet! "Special order"... No thanks. I'll wait til it breaks!

19. srk4cats

I bought mine at Lowe's for $88 + tax. It's a round seat, which is better for small spaces. It got pretty good reviews, too, and is a 1.38 gpf.
    Or you could try a bidet. You don't have to buy TP anymore.

StephG likes this.
  20. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Hahah DH would flip out!

21. srk4cats

5 pm and it's finished! Now I just have to put everything back. Chico was the first to check it out and he says he likes it. I'd better spray some Feliway in Chloe's direction. I take her test in 1.5 hours.
    I've been searching where to buy u-40 syringes. Do you know a cheap place to buy them? I've only got 15 left.
    Oh, and btw, the toilet fits my small space very well It's called Project Source.

StephG likes this.
  22. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

23. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

That's a nice, shootable PMPS. A +3 or +4 would be great tonight. I know you had a crazy hectic day there.
    I'll check in tomorrow morning to see your AMPS. Hopefully it will be low 200s. I think your headed in the right direction. .75 handled her 400s preshot. So paws crossed it will work with the 200s too.
    Thanks for the tip on the toilet brand!

srk4cats likes this.
  24. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Yong
    So I didn't know the U-40 syringes came with half unit markings. So there is no need to use the U-100 and convert if these are available? Or is there an advantage to the U-100? Maybe the U-100 have smaller increments? Just curious so that when I need to re-order if I should switch.

25. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

U100 syringes allow for 0.2 increments. I used them when Chuck was on prozinc.

26. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok so there is a difference and for now Beenie needs to increase in small increments until we "break through" :)
    I'm increasing every 3 cycles, .2 units for now.
    Thanks!!

StephG likes this.
  27. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I kept the u40s and u100 syringes in different rooms to prevent accidental switch of syringes.

28. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Get some mid cycle tests today.
    I would do a curve if possible.
    She keeps throwing blues after a reduced dose so it could be a sign that she needs less or that it's a good dose. A curve will tell.

29. srk4cats

Hi Steph. I'm loving my new toilet and can't wait to see what my water bill will be. Anyway, Chloe was so close to 200 this morning that I went ahead and gave her a reduced dose of .5 u. She went up a little into the yellows on her +5. I'm almost out of u-40 syringes and am wondering if there are ones that have more marks but are easier to see. The ones I'm using now go up to 20 units which is equivalent to 1/2 cc. Are there any that are 1/4 cc and only go up to 10 units?

30. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

These are what I used before switching to u100 syringes. They're 3/10 cc.
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product...3E0EDBC82779&gclid=CNXbtdmGh9UCFQqRaQodL6wOBA

31. srk4cats

StephG likes this.
  32. srk4cats

My phone wasn't working all day and my cousin tried to call. Then, in the evening, I couldn't connect with the internet. I'm very frustrated. I'm at McDonald's using their wifi. I got the address of Century Link and I'll be going there tomorrow to disconnect everything and be rid of them and their stupid contracts. Then I'll shop around for a smartphone instead. So don't worry if you don't hear from me for a couple days.
    Have a great weekend, or at least better than mine.

33. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Please still get some mid cycle tests in and I suggest holding the dose for a few days. As long as she's over 200. If you shoot above 190-200 I would try .5 again. I believe .75 units will be too much for under 200 and could cause a unusually low preshot, a preshot under 200, or a bounce causing high preshot. (She's been doing great with the lower doses and not much bouncing)
    I know the 1/2 cc syringes are tough to measure small doses. Getting some 3/10 cc u100 or u40 syringes will help with the small dose she needs.
    I'm thinking a 0.6 unit dose might be a good compromise between .5 and .75 units and is easily measured on the u100 syringes using the conversion chart. Keep in mind that if you decide to switch to u100 you need to keep them in different areas to prevent accidental switch up of syringes. You should also run a curve or mini curve too see how the dose is working compared to the "eyeballed" dose on the bigger u40s.

34. srk4cats

I ordered some 3/10 cc syringes from ADW last night and this morning the order had shipped. I wish somebody had mentioned this before when I was asking what's the difference between a fat 1 and a 1.25. I still have some u-100 needles should I run out before the u-40's get here, but I was told not to use them. I will carry on with the .75 dose for now and try to get some mid-cycle readings. I've noticed that when I'm stressed out, she gets stressed out and it's difficult to get blood from her ear. This morning it took me 3 tries. She squirmed and cried. What gauge lancets are the least painful?

35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Roberta,
    I do see that Steph brought up using u100s on your Chloe9 thread and you said you had decided to stop using them. She also mentioned them here:
    Since you said you didn't want to use them previously and specifically asked about buying u40s, we didn't mention them again but just answered your question.

36. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I also assumed you had the 3/10 cc u40 syringes. Normally, that is what's given for cats because they are typically on a dose of 3 units or less.
    There are many pictures and explanations on the forum discussing and showing the difference between a fat (my fat unit is with the plunger just "below" the unit line marker. Skinny is the opposite) .25 is half way between the unit and half unit marks. If there's no half unit mark I would decide where half is and go between that and the unit line marker.
    If you need further explanation of our answers here, you have to ask. I had no idea you didn't know this already.
    I just recently started to really try to help you out and get Chloe on the right track for better numbers and help you figure out a way to keep her there. I do this because I care...
    As for the poking and getting no blood--
    Are you giving her extra water in her food? Even 1 tablespoon per meal will help. Chuck eats the chunks first then drinks the water. He bleeds better now that he's well hydrated and his ears have learned to bleed.
    Keep at it and take a breather between pokes if you need it. Dinner and shot can wait 5 minutes.

37. srk4cats

It was more about the size of the intervals. u-40 1/2cc (0.5) goes up to 40 so the intervals are very tiny which makes it hard to do .25 increments. u-40 3/10 (0.3) only goes up to 20 units (sometimes called low dose) so it's easier to measure smaller increments. I think the vet told me not to use u-100. The first supplies I bought from the vet was 1/2 cc with the container. The 2nd vet also showed me a 1/2 cc. So I didn't know there was any other kind.

38. Kris & Teasel

Many vets will say that because they worry that the client will make a mistake doing the necessary conversion. I understand their concern because the owner has to be very careful, right down to keeping the U40s stored well away to avoid accidentally filling the wrong syringe. The U100s give lots of very useful dosing fractions if the owner can use the conversion chart properly and keep the U40s separate.

srk4cats and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  39. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

My new vet said the same thing until I showed her the conversion chart. She looked it over and was okay with it after that.
    I think some vets think we will just be less than thorough when treating and try to give the "easy way" instructions to cut down on the stress and overwhelming parts of testing FD. Once they realize you mean business and aren't cutting corners-- some of them come around.

40. srk4cats

Something is very wrong. Chloe seemed to have trouble moving. She didn't come into the kitchen yowling for breakfast and even when I placed the food next to her on the bed, she didn't touch it. She tested at 284, but I won't give her insulin unless she eats something. Or should I?

41. Djamila

If Chloe is having trouble moving, it might be a good idea to have her see the vet. What happens if you pick her up and set her on her feet?

42. srk4cats

I picked her up and put her on the floor. She stood for a moment then jumped back on the bed and lay down.

43. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Have you tested for ketones lately? Did she eat last night? If she won't move, I think I'd bring her in for a vet visit.

srk4cats likes this.
  44. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I agree with the others that she should see a vet.
    I see you gave her .5 units. Did she finally eat? If not please get tests to make sure she doesn't go too low. I think a ketone test is a good idea too. But they can do that at the vet if she still isn't moving or eating.

45. srk4cats

She ate a bunch of treats and then started drinking water. It occurred to me that she may be dehydrated since I've been having trouble getting blood from her ears the past few days. Still not interested in the canned food. I have to go to Walmart to pick up lancets. I only have one left. I'm keeping her isolated from Chico and Fuzma.

46. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

If she won't eat today, she needs to see a vet ASAP.

47. srk4cats

When I went to Walmart to get lancets, I also got a can of FF. I tried to get a reading, but she got two E-13's. She seemed hungry and eagerly ate the FF. Maybe she's sick of 9-Lives. It's a cheap food. I ordered FF last week, but it hasn't come yet.

48. srk4cats

I looked up my order. It was through Amazon but the seller was somebody named Dwayne. $9 for 30 cans. I should have known it was too good to be true. Turns out it's a scam out of China and it might even be a hacker. All the comments said they never received their orders and couldn't contact the seller. I tried to cancel the order, so we'll see what happens. It says it's in transit, but the seller keeps pushing back the delivery date. I'm going to stick with Chewy from now on.

49. Kris & Teasel

Is Chloe eating? That's a pressing issue right now.

50. srk4cats

She seemed hungry and eagerly ate the FF. She ate about 1/2 of a 3-oz can, but she seems more life-like now.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  51. srk4cats

5:20 pm = 266. I warmed up the leftover FF in the microwave and she's eating it. Well, after I typed this and went back in, Chico was licking his lips on the floor, but there was still plenty of food left in the bowl. Talk about spoiled! I have to hold the bowl up to her for her to eat. She ate a few bites and then stepped back. Maybe she wants me to feed her off a spoon. A silver spoon.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  52. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

You could try putting the dish on something to raise it up off the floor. Shoe box or a flipped over bowl.

53. srk4cats

I used to do that, but I dumped a whole bunch of stuff there so I could get my kitchen re-floored. Occasionally, I've fed her on the bed and that's what I did today. I'm going to give her .5 or .75 at 8 pm. That's in 2 hours, but I'd like to push it back to 7:45. What do you think?

54. Yong & Maury GA

No more than 0.5U. Especially with her not eating well and displaying signs of nausea. Have you tested her for ketones?

Rachel and StephG like this.
  55. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Was her morning shot at 8am? I think 7:45 would be ok. 15 minutes early is the max I would shoot with her. She reacts well to the insulin so any earlier could cause a quick and big drop.
    Have you tested for ketones yet?
    Is she still free feeding on young again between meals?
    I would get another test before her shot. Just to make sure she's high enough for a shot.
    I agree that .5 units is a good dose. Keep an eye on her too. If she pukes after eating because she's not feeling well it could make the .5 too much. I would get a +3 or +4 to see how the insulin is working.

Rachel likes this.
  56. srk4cats

All she's doing is sleeping. My other cats are hiding I don't know where. Usually they're all out here with me watching TV. Never mind, Chico's out here chilling.

57. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Do you have ketone urine test strips? I think it's a good idea to test for ketones. It can get out of hand and very expensive quick. It's best to catch it early.
    The change in behavior and eating issues are concerning. If you can't get a ketone test, I would make a vet appt. When Chuck started eating slower it turned out he had a UTI. It's a good indicator that something is going on that should be looked into.

srk4cats and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  58. srk4cats

I did a ketone test last week and she was negative. She tested at 356 just now. She wouldn't even eat her treats! I will take her to the vet tomorrow morning.

Djamila likes this.
  59. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I think that's the best thing to do.
    Testing her urine between now and morning would give you somewhere to start with the vet.
    I hope they can figure out what's going on.

Djamila likes this.
  60. Kris & Teasel

I agree with Steph's advice. Get a urine ketone test ASAP. They can develop quickly and Chloe could become very seriously ill. I think vet attention is in order. There's very little margin for error when a diabetic kitty shows signs of not feeling well. Their diabetes makes them much more susceptible to a variety of health issues.

61. srk4cats

Chloe is in the hospital. I took her first thing this morning and just got home. Vet says she has ketoacidosis. I knew she was dehydrated and I was hoping that's all it was. What really astonished me was the vet tech took her BG reading when she first got in and he said it was 130. An hour later, when the vet did her labwork and took BG directly from her blood, it was 426. I really doubt that being at the vet would cause that leap. I am doubting the Relion meter. Anyway, my phone broke a couple days ago and I have to set up my Trac-Phone now. Great timing, eh?

62. Djamila

Thank goodness you got her in there! Ketones progress quickly and are very dangerous. Please keep us posted on how she's doing at the vet when you hear anything. We all care very much for the kitties and beans around here!

The vet stress can certainly cause a giant spike in BG like that. That's why we always say that home testing is so essential in treating diabetes since the numbers between home and vet can be so dramatically different. I hope Chloe has a quick recovery.

TempestsMum and srk4cats like this.
  63. Yong & Maury GA

Very glad to hear you took her in. Sorry to hear she's DKA but it's the better place for her to get treatment right now. Please keep us updated on Chloe's progress :cat:

srk4cats likes this.
  64. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So glad you took her in! Please let us know how things go.

srk4cats likes this.
  65. Kris & Teasel

This is the best place for Chloe right now. I'm glad you took her there.

66. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Oh no!! Poor Chloe! I'm sorry she's so sick.

srk4cats likes this.
  67. srk4cats

It took me 3 hours to figure out how to activate my new Trac Phone. Now I have to figure out how to answer a call. I immediately left my number at the vet's office and was starting to prepare lunch when I got a call. I accidentally ripped it out of the charger and missed the call anyway. So I figured out how to call back and now the tech was busy, so she'll call me later. I need to read the instructions which I'll do as I eat my TV dinner. I'm a mess. The vet said.. I forgot. What is this ketoacidinosis and will she be okay?

68. srk4cats

I just heard from the vet and she said it looks like she has pancreatitus. They gave her anti-biotics and anti-nausea (she threw up there this morning) and liguids. They gave her a human-something fast-acting insulin, so her BG went down to the 300's. I think I'm going to have to euthanize if she's not better by 8 pm. when the vet closes. I'm a wreck.

69. Kris & Teasel

My kitty had a bout of diabetic ketacidosis over a year ago. He needed 24 hour care for 3 days. Is there a vet clinic near you that has emergency services? Kitties can recover from this but they're best treated in hospital.

Yong & Maury GA and StephG like this.
  70. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis and DKA is treatable. Maybe you can get a second opinion from a very hospital?! Please at least do that before putting her to sleep. I'm so sad to read this update.

71. srk4cats

Yes, I've decided to take her to the specialty vet clinic. The vet was ahppy to hear that. I'll update you in a few hours.

72. srk4cats

YES - I'm going for it. Update you in a few hours.

Kris & Teasel and StephG like this.
  73. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to Chloe!

74. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

SO glad to hear this!!!! Please do keep us updated as often as possible on how Chloe is doing. We get very invested in all the kitties on our forum. Tons and tons of healing vines!!!!

Djamila likes this.
  75. Kris & Teasel

Fingers crossed that Chloe responds well. It'll be a tense time for you.

76. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm confused with all the different threads on this one. What and where is the newest posting? Which one is everyone on?

StephG likes this.
  77. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

She is usually most active on prozinc forum. I have been checking main health and this one.

78. Yong & Maury GA

I put them all together on her Main Health thread for every one anxiously following :)

srk4cats and Kris & Teasel like this.
  79. srk4cats

Thank you, Yong. Someday you'll have to explain to me how to do that. Ill gother enow.

80. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

How is Chloe doing?
    How are you holding up?

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.